SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24817 - 04/12/02 11:57 AM Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

On a Roland XV-3080, is it possible to control the speed of a leslie effect (in this case on an organ patch) via the spring-loaded modulation stick of a Korg keyboard? I don't want the effect to speed up only if I hold the modulation controller in the up position. I'd like it to stay fast even after I release it. Then slow down when I move the modulation stick up again. In other words I would like to use the modulation controller (or anything else for that matter) to trigger the slow or fast speed. Like an on/off command.
If a player has to keep one hand on the modulation wheel to keep the effect "fast" it kind of limits its application.
Any suggestions?
I just discovered this great site today and hope to learn and share info about keyboards, etc in the future.
Thanks!

#24818 - 04/12/02 11:02 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
does the 3080 have a foot controler input on the back of it?
that way you could control speed with your foot directly on the 3080
or you might be able to transmit the foot control thru the korg to the 3080 if the korg has a foot control input and will transmit that info.
now im not talking about a foot switch i mean like a voltage control pedal.

#24819 - 04/13/02 12:18 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

Hi djboomstick.
The 3080 doesn't have a foot controller (that would have been nice). The Korg keyboard does ... but I'm using it with a pedal to control midi volume. (It only has one pedal input, other than a damper pedal input.) I really would like to do this with a modulation wheel.
I use a Boss SE-50 for a leslie effect now and that unit allows you to trigger on/off using a variety of controllers ... including a modulation wheel. I just thought if I could do this without that unit - it would be one less thing in my rack. (I like to make gigs as easy as possible.)
It's a shame, because the Roland module's built-in leslie effect is not bad but I can't determine how to use it in the real world.
If you can think of another way around this ... otherwise thanks for the effort!

#24820 - 04/13/02 02:21 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
djboomstick Offline

aftertouch ?

#24821 - 04/13/02 02:47 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

If I could use it as an on/off command ... that would be great. But I think (maybe I'm wrong) that it would be momentary only, wouldn't it? In other words it will only speed up & stay there as long as I keep pushing down on a key.
I want to give a command and the leslie speeds up and stays that way until I give another command - then it would slow down.

#24822 - 04/13/02 08:29 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
djboomstick Offline

what keyboard is that korg ? does it have a knob or a slider you could use ?

will it transmit the dampener pedal from the keyboard to the 3080

or you might have to just use the volume knob or a little mixer for volume control and reassign that foot controler

how about a midi cc pedal and a little midi merger box directly in to the 3080. that way you could have the keyboard and the cc pedal going directly in to the midi in on the 3080 and keep the volume pedal for volume on the korg

#24823 - 04/14/02 06:32 AM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

Korg N364 (it's a simple board). The damper pedal does trasmitt to the 3080 ... how could I use that to my advantage? (I'm not using the damper pedal on this particular board for anything else - so it's open.)
The Korg has a data entry slider - but I don't know how that could be used easily in real-time in the midst of a gig to transmitt an on/off command.
The cc pedal and merger box is a good idea. Since I already have a merger box I just need to buy a cc pedal. I was hoping for a simpler rememdy to all of this, but the pedal might be the way to go. Just so I know we're on the same page - what do you mean by "cc pedal"? Is it a pedal with a midi cable on it as opposed to a 1/4" plug?
Thanks for your input.

#24824 - 04/14/02 07:10 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
djboomstick Offline

yup control change pedal looks like a wha pedal but has a midi out on it

can you assign the dampining to not affect the keyboard and just send over to the 3080
then assing the 3080 the change the leslie speed by dampiner pedal control.

how about a rppr patten with cc info instead of note info then a second rppr pattern to slow it back down ?

#24825 - 04/15/02 09:13 AM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

After racking my brains all yesterday I came up with a simple solution based on the gear I have.
That Korg N364 is my top tier keyboard, on the bottom I use a Korg SG proX piano/controller. I assigned the SG the same MIDI channel as the N364, set the range so that the sound doesn't actually appear on the SG. The only thng on the SG I assigned to that common midi channel was ... the modulation wheel.
The SG's modulation wheel is just that ... a wheel, not a spring loaded joystick. So now the SG puts out the midi channels I always had it do prior to this, plus another one just so that its modulation wheel can control the leslie effect of the XV-3080 triggered by the top keyboard.
This may not make sense the way I explained it ... but it works! It came to me while I was watching TV.
Thanks for your help. In the future the cc pedal may be the way to go.

#24826 - 04/15/02 06:26 PM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
So, you're playing the organ on the top keyboard, but running the rotary on the bottom? I suppose it works, but seems a little confusing, especially if you go back to playing the bottom keyboard and suddenly have a ton of vibrato on your piano because the leslie is still running.

#24827 - 04/16/02 09:57 AM Re: Controlling speed of leslie effect
Tony T Offline

Piano sound is assigned a different MIDI channel than the leslie/organ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online