#24831 - 02/10/01 10:46 PM Unwanted program change? JV1010
tomorrow Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA US
I'm just learning how to use this JV-1010
I read the manual over and over, but
I still don't get it.

I compose MIDI in an old version of Cakewalk
for Windows. I can't seem to tell the
JV-1010 not to receive program change signals. There is a parameter, but do I have
to send sysex? The manual doesn't document
this parameter very well. There's got
to be an easier way.
Every time I try to play back all the cool
patches I selected, the patches are changed
by Cakewalk's midi signals.

Tomorrow

#24832 - 02/11/01 01:20 AM Re: Unwanted program change? JV1010
Magnus Nordén Offline

Hi Tomorrow!
Set up and use the bundled OEM SoundDiver software. This will let you control everything on the jv1010 very easily. However, running SDiver in parallel with a sequencer makes it necessary to install Hubis Loopback device on your system, which isn't really an intuitive process. Help is at hand at the SoundDiver user forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sounddiver-users
Do a search on Hubis and with a little patience you should have things sorted.
All the best,
Magnus

#24833 - 02/11/01 02:52 PM Re: Unwanted program change? JV1010
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Tomorrow:
Frankly, in my humble opinion, getting another piece of software to do what Cakewalk itself will do just fine is kinda silly. If you'll look in your JV-1010 manual, page 33 (page 37 for rhythmn), there's a list of bank select values which you can use to set your patch assignments remotely via MIDI. I don't know Cakewalk specifically, but my very much cheaper sequencing software passes bank select and patch select MIDI messages, and Cakewalk will also. Including these messages means that every MIDI file you play will instantly reconfigure the patch assignments in your JV-1010, and you won't have to fool with SoundDiver or the JV-1010's front panel. (You have already found, of course, that Cakewalk does this anyway, so you just need to control it!)

These are NOT SysEx messages, but standard universal MIDI commands. Look for "Bank select" messages under "Control Change" in Cakewalk, which is how they're refered to in MIDI implementation. Compare to page 68 of your JV-1010 manual.

Look at http://www.lilchips.com/ for Cakewalk initialization file updates which will allow you to select the JV-1010 patches by name from within Cakewalk.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online