SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#25328 - 05/23/00 03:54 AM Re: XV or not XV ???
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
feefer hi...

XV5080 memory upgrade is very easy. Simms maker can be anyone not just Roland who by the way doesn't make memory chips. The cost is very low and i wonder why Roland didn't put at least 64 MB onboard allowing that way to make use of samples without addon ram. Hmm cost barrier

Anyway take care of memory to be at least 60 nsec or faster.

#25329 - 05/23/00 09:11 AM Re: XV or not XV ???
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hello Inray,

You told about the ondie ram for buffering etc.. but how much ram is really delivered as standard when you buy the device out of the box.. I've heard 2 and 8 mb..

WHat i've heard is that they use 2 mb of ondie RAM , and if you plug in one simm (or 2) that 2 mb will be disabled, is that correct?

Other than the fact that it's rediculous 2 mb ! of ram) I think your right.. the korg triton has 16 mb at least. It's nto because the XV5080 is only a "sample player" that they should act as if no ram is needed, you can do some serious film scoring with a (for example) future srx concert card + Akai/roland s700 quality sample CD's.

I'm planning of buying a scsi cdrom + the full 128 mb of ram when my XV arrives

CD

#25330 - 05/23/00 09:15 AM Re: XV or not XV ???
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Oh i forgot.... 2 important questions:

What's the big fuzz about matrix control anyway. I didn't really spend long time editing with the 3080 thats in the music store I always go to. I didn't really see something really different but i guess I'll find that out tomorrow, I finally will have time to test & record something on my portable MD (wich will be put on www.5080land.Com ofcourse )..

Another question (gee... I guess Inray is going to get bored because hes never allowed to ask any ) ..

Can you actually attach a zipdrive to the 5080? then load in a few wavefiles, keymap them internally and send them back to zip? as 5080 proprietary format ?..

Thanks

CD

#25331 - 05/23/00 03:11 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
Cosmic Dreamer...

I'm glad if i can help any friend here as many folks here helped me in the past.

When you get 5080 the actual free memory is about 2MB from 8MB available onboard. So don't expect to do anything with that. That's the reason Roland says you need the simm addon to read and convert samples.

About you second question. Yes when you add 128 MB the onboard memory (RAM) isn't addressable any more so you have only 128 MB total ram memory.

Triton has 16 MB onboard and it's also ridiculous as Triton is a sampler (or something like that) and not a sample-playback synth like XV. It's a shame for both of them (Triton and 5080) not having full memory onboard while memory cost is so low today.

I have not try an external scsi zip yet so i could not say to you about possible issues. I've tried scsi CD (Plextor) and scsi data access chain (XV <-> computer scsi) using adaptec 29160 controller with no problems accessing AIFF,WAV and AKAI/S700 samples on CDs and host computer. You can only read and convert samples but not rewrite them.

Matrix control is just a modulation reroute between source controllers and destination parameters.
For example you can use a source value like key position, aftertouch, TVF envelope, TVA envelope, bender etc to drive as input parameter the pitch, cutoff, pan, lfos, tmt, tva, mfx1,2,3 etc.

It's not too different from the old Roland editing method. It is very creative by the way, if you spend some time on (small) LCD.

In general XV has nothing extraordinary or inovative. XV's plus is it's excellent sound, fx, and SRX samples.

#25332 - 05/23/00 03:36 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Hello,

Hmm seems that matrix control behave alot like the tritons AMS.

Ofcourse I always thought roland's editing was creative. If the XV5080 is going to be anything like JD990, visual editing etc.. thats pretty cool..

JD990 was such a good device but the reason I sold it in the end, is that it hadd a very bad LFO, (it would just ....do things out of tune and do things that you've not programmed). suddenly dropping from a sweap etc.. And well, the 24voices polyphony was rather distressing, I could hardly put 3 complex patches on eachother in a performance ..

I m sure the XV5080 will be the solution .. I think it will add greatly to my triton,

CD

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online