SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25547 - 08/24/03 06:16 PM XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Kenex Offline

Loc: Portland Oregon USA
Hullo to all of you. This is the first time i have written on this forum.I have an XP60 which i bought used. The floppy drive just keeps on turning. I do not know how to get it to stop. When i load up or exit a disc from the drive i have to do it while it is turning. The manual says don't do that but i have no option. It was apparantly checked by Roland before i bought it....but i don't know if it is faulty or if I am just to dumb to work out how to stop the drive.
Do any of you know what i don't know..ie How to overcome this problem.
Thanks very much.
Ken

------------------
I will make it yet!

#25548 - 08/29/03 10:18 AM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Kenex Offline

Is there really no one who has an answer for me about this XP60 drive problem?

#25549 - 08/30/03 02:03 AM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That certainly sounds like a problem. You will have to have it looked out by an authorized serviceman. See your local Roland dealer to find out who repairs Roland gear in your area.

I guess that may have been the reason the unit was sold off.

Is the drive working for reading and writing disks other than the fact it is always spinning ?

#25550 - 08/30/03 10:49 PM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Kenex Offline

Thanks for the reply Nigel. Yes i can save on the discs and the drive reads ok too. I actualy bought the XP60 from Guitar Center about a year ago [Demo model] and i took it back to them with this very same problem. The salesman said that he would send it to Roland and i think he did. They did repair something to do with the save function on the drive...or so he told me. I did not use the keyboard for a long time after i got it back from Guit Center. I have recently been using the XP60 to upgrade my old MC500 super MRC discs and it seems to be ok. I guess i am just nervous about the drive spinning continuesly. I will just have to carry on regardless cause i am a poor musician.Ha ha.
Thanks again for the reply.
Ken
PS I have searched my manual to find out how to hear the sounds on my country card that i bought but i can't figure it out.Do you remember where in the manual the info is on how to do that?

------------------
I will make it yet!

#25551 - 08/31/03 12:38 AM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes it is a strange problem but as long as you are able to use the drive that is the most important thing. But I would make backup copies of your disks in case anything does happen. And as the disk is constantly spinning it will wear out much quicker than normal.

I would tend to eject the disk when not required for long periods rather than leave it spinning in the drive. I imagine it can even be audible in low volume settings.

#25552 - 08/31/03 09:41 PM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Kenex Offline

Thanks Nigel...You make a good point about it being audible...and to remove the disc..I had not thought about the noise factor.
Well i shall carry on learning about all of my equipment and hope that i can produce something that eventually makes money. Thanks again
cheers ken

------------------
I will make it yet!

#25553 - 09/01/03 05:04 PM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Dave Morris Offline

Loc: Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, ...
It's possibly also the quality of floppy disk, not the drive so much. Floppy's have a certain life expectancy. It's worth backing up frequently. Especially if using older floppys.

#25554 - 09/01/03 09:29 PM Re: XP60 Floppy Drive Won't stop!!
Kenex Offline

Thankyou Dave. I will take your advise.Nice to know all of you guys. Ken

------------------
I will make it yet!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online