Page 18 of 53 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257340 - 02/27/09 05:34 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Thanks Ian.

Now those I HAVE seen out here. And I might have to look at them instead if I cannot find the style Fran found. What height do they go up to Ian? I usually stand when playing, so it look kinda funny if they were at my kneecaps LOL...

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I mostly use these stands at home, and have them on either side facing me and I always sit when I play, so they are just about waist level at their lowest settings, and they will raise up about a foot or so.

What I use at some gigs is a pair of cheap keyboard stands...X-type...when they are open to the first notch or so, the MS60S will just rest nicely on the bars...they are a little higher and about ear level when I am sitting.

The footprint is a little less than the speaker width...they are pretty sturdy, and I just rest the speaker on top with no velcro or any other type of reinforcement.

I always place the stands on either side and behind me, as I don't use a microphone.

Standing whilst playing might make them a little too low to hear properly.

Ian

#257341 - 02/27/09 06:29 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
babylon Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi.
In researching Podium aand Mackie 350's I see the mackies are bi-amped (two amps for each speaker)with crossovers high frequency amp and low frequency amp. If I understand correctly this is a big advantage over the Podium speakers with only 1 amplifier per speaker/ Low frequency waves tend to rob mid and high frequency waves when sharing the same amplifier. the cost diffrence being Mackie's have two amplifiers per speaker and the podiums have one.

#257342 - 02/27/09 07:10 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stokely Offline

Well, I must say as a web developer the Podium Pro website is pretty much a trainwreck...of course maybe they are all busy making speakers

The ebay feedback profile is very encouraging. Of course, I don't see much in the way of comparison to better-known brands (such as we've seen in this thread and hopefully more on the way).

As long as these sound *ok* and can get me heard in practice, I'm really leaning toward becoming another guinea pig. I can get four of those 802s for the price of one Mackie 350....

Edit: is there any way to see just what the 7 people (out of 10,000) didn't like? I don't see any way to see just negative feedback. (not an ebay person).

[This message has been edited by Stokely (edited 02-27-2009).]

#257343 - 02/27/09 07:20 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Oh man.... first small speakers, now small speaker stands... what next?.. 31 key keyboards?!?!?! ... when will this craziness END?!?!?! ...
t.

#257344 - 02/27/09 07:33 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

$220..those rip offs..charging me $240, and I gave all the publicity..

Yeah,what did that smooth-talking DonM say to get that extra $20.00 off? Hey, that's a decent bottle of wine (ten bottles of the kind Ian and Diki drink ). Mine should be here Wed. These guys seem to run a very professional operation (factoryDirectBuy). Shipped the same day as ordered. Can't beat that. Now, let's hope the product pans out. Talked to Russ the other day, he's getting a pair; you've stirred up quite the little mini-tempest. Be prepared to be either the hero or the goat .

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 02-27-2009).]

#257345 - 02/27/09 07:34 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
There's a rumor going around that KingFrog has secretely ordered a pair.

chas

#257346 - 02/27/09 07:47 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

If Fran says the're great ....
believe me they are GREAT!

#257347 - 02/27/09 07:48 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stokely Offline

The difference in price seems to be ebay vs the onlyfactorydirect site. Unfortunately the 10" version is only on ebay right now.

I found a way (via a different site) to see negative comments for a seller in ebay. Only one for 90 days and one neutral. OFD commented with a phone number saying they'd fix things; I might shoot an email to the buyer to see if they did.

#257348 - 02/27/09 08:13 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

mine should be here today..........use YOUR ears not some silly internet reviews.

#257349 - 02/27/09 09:16 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by babylon:

In researching Podium and Mackie 350's I see the mackies are bi-amped (two amps for each speaker)with crossovers high frequency amp and low frequency amp. If I understand correctly this is a big advantage over the Podium speakers with only 1 amplifier per speaker/ Low frequency waves tend to rob mid and high frequency waves when sharing the same amplifier. the cost diffrence being Mackie's have two amplifiers per speaker and the podiums have one.

No offense but there is no possible positive comparison to be made between the SRM350s and some $100 Ebay fare. I will tell you if you play BAss heavy music the Mackies don;t get down the the E- String on a Bass guitar. A sub may be a good idea with them.

But you are right single Amplifiers are robbing power to for bass notes that can cause a sucking sound. No pun intended.

IF you are a pro,use pro gear. Your clients and audience deserve no less and will hear the difference if the next guy is using pro gear.

If you are a successful pro, you certainly can or should be able afford to, you really cannot afford not to. Bi-Amped is always the way to go with powered Speakers pointed in the Audience direction, and a hell of a lot more efficient.

NO matter what you read, There is no such thing as low budget quality, People confuse "bang for the buck" with quality. "Bang for the buck" delivers an illusion of quality.Nothing is free. Doesn't work that way other wise they would be playing PSR 413s
rather than multi thousand dollar Arrangers. Toyotas and Hondas cost more than Fords and Chevys for a reason,The public is willing to pay the premium for a reason.

BY not putting the sound through the best possible gear to the audience ears and/or cutting corners in that regard is amateurish no matter how well on plays or how many old ladies claim they love the music. IT also raises the bar for the competition while showing the clients you put you money into your craft.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-27-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 18 of 53 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online