SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258577 - 03/01/09 11:48 PM OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
NOT LOOKING TO START A DEBATE, BUT:
I filled for a friend of mine who has a steady gig in the bar/lounge area in a restaurant in MA...
First, a word about the restaurant - what a GOLD MINE !!! ...the bar/lounge which, besides the tables used by people having dinner, is used as a 'waiting area' for the main restaurant, was PACKED until about 10 pm after which it was only CROWDED... ...

As far as the music is concerned, the big thing is that the owner doesn't want it loud, and he's paying a good buck for live musicians in 2 rooms, so .....
Well after Saturday night, I realized that the Bose is PERFECT for that situation...
My friend was going to be working in the restaurant area for the night in place of the guy who usually works it, so he asked me to play the bar/lounge ...
He had his Bose set up there, so he let me use it ... He helped me get set up with the mixer - a big Behringer which he's had for years, and the Bose ... We did a sound check to make sure of the volume, then I played a SMF so I could hear the overall sound ...I was amazed that, for how low the volume was at the kb (the Bose was DIRECTLY behind me), the sound traveled at that same volume to the end of the bar - about 100 feet ...
I had asked the head bartender (I think there were 4 of them!) to let me know if the volume got too loud, and later in the evening I was told that I could actually raise the volume a little ...
During the night, even when a group of about 6 guys right in front of me were 'debating' the Matt Cassell trade to KC so loudly that I could hardly hear myself think, I could see some ladies 'swaying' to the music at the far end of the bar...

The Bose delivered a really good bass and at times I found myself lowering the bass on the kb ...the mids and highs were crisp and clear, and the vocals sounded great....

All in all, a very pleasant experience, but I'm afraid my gigging schedule doesn't warrant that type of expense ... and at this stage of my life, that doesn't bother me ...

t.

#258578 - 03/02/09 04:04 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
NOT LOOKING TO START A DEBATE, BUT:
I filled for a friend of mine who has a steady gig in the bar/lounge area in a restaurant in MA...
First, a word about the restaurant - what a GOLD MINE !!! ...the bar/lounge which, besides the tables used by people having dinner, is used as a 'waiting area' for the main restaurant, was PACKED until about 10 pm after which it was only CROWDED... ...

As far as the music is concerned, the big thing is that the owner doesn't want it loud, and he's paying a good buck for live musicians in 2 rooms, so .....
Well after Saturday night, I realized that the Bose is PERFECT for that situation...
My friend was going to be working in the restaurant area for the night in place of the guy who usually works it, so he asked me to play the bar/lounge ...
He had his Bose set up there, so he let me use it ... He helped me get set up with the mixer - a big Behringer which he's had for years, and the Bose ... We did a sound check to make sure of the volume, then I played a SMF so I could hear the overall sound ...I was amazed that, for how low the volume was at the kb (the Bose was DIRECTLY behind me), the sound traveled at that same volume to the end of the bar - about 100 feet ...
I had asked the head bartender (I think there were 4 of them!) to let me know if the volume got too loud, and later in the evening I was told that I could actually raise the volume a little ...
During the night, even when a group of about 6 guys right in front of me were 'debating' the Matt Cassell trade to KC so loudly that I could hardly hear myself think, I could see some ladies 'swaying' to the music at the far end of the bar...

The Bose delivered a really good bass and at times I found myself lowering the bass on the kb ...the mids and highs were crisp and clear, and the vocals sounded great....

All in all, a very pleasant experience, but I'm afraid my gigging schedule doesn't warrant that type of expense ... and at this stage of my life, that doesn't bother me ...

t.

Thanks for the review.

My budget is very limited rigth now, but I've been thinking about one of those for a while, I have a trio/quartet sometimes 2 guitars, one bass guitar, 1 vocal with the Digitech VL2, Oviously I can't afford 2 systems, we play at churches no more than 300 people, most of the time it's 150.

Would one BLII be enough?
THanks

#258579 - 03/02/09 06:10 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
Dnj Offline

T thanx for the review....I'm sure you could of enjoyed a stereo experience with two small 8" powered speakers like the Podium 802's just as well in that situation at 1/20th the price....anyway enjoy the Snow Storm 12" here & still snowing

#258580 - 03/02/09 07:04 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
T thanx for the review....I'm sure you could of enjoyed a stereo experience with two small 8" powered speakers like the Podium 802's just as well in that situation at 1/20th the price....anyway enjoy the Snow Storm 12" here & still snowing

now THAT'S funny.....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258581 - 03/02/09 07:45 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Well, people can debate all day about the Bose Model II, but I much prefer my S900 through two amps in stereo, with a small sub. I alternate nights solo on guitar and keyboard. However, I love the Bose with guitar and vocals.

#258582 - 03/02/09 07:46 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I was a late bloomer on the Bose, and I resisted, but it was because I had only heard it in mono...two systems in stereo sold me on it. Completely.

Pricey?

You bet.

A terrific stereo system?

You bet.

Nothing like it?

You bet your bippy!

If you only buy one PA, and want stereo AND room filling quality sound, this is the system.

Sure, it takes more time to set up, but I allow for that anyway...I don't rush any more...not worth it...but the extra setup time is worth it when you hear it in glorious stereo.

A great theatre and/or concert system which will be how mine will be used...would aslo be terrific in a church environment as well.

Ian

#258583 - 03/02/09 07:57 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
Dnj Offline

Ian you are certainly brainwashed OMG

You wouldn't be saying that with a gig schedule of 500+ like beebop/zuki, and many others daily gig warriors in the trenches doing doubles & triples every day where time IS of the importance sometimes with less then an hour in between.....setting up all that useless OVERKILL 2 system gear & breaking down 6x a day....give me a break. Look what Gary went thru with just one ! so double that its a freaking moving job at least......I hope you have a big truck?.... why do people insist on toiling so much I dont get it!!! Ian take a picture of it all setup when you ever get it ok Id love to see it.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-02-2009).]

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-02-2009).]

#258584 - 03/02/09 08:17 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

You wouldn't be saying that with a gig schedule of 500+ like beebop/zuki, and many others daily gig warriors in the trenches doing doubles & triples every day where time IS of the importance sometimes with less then an hour in between.....setting up all that useless OVERKILL 2 system gear & breaking down 6x a day....give me a break.

The two Bose will be used for doing concerts, and time is not that critical for setup.

I cut back on the number of gigs, and started charging more money...and you know what?

It is working.

The two Bose will go in my Honda along with everything else...the back seat flips down, and it has a good sized trunk...the S900 is small, as is my bench and stand....no problem.

I can relate to being "in the trenches" but I finally decided to "go over the top" and take the risk of charging more and playing less often...just lucky for me that it worked out.

The Bose will let me fill a theatre and still keep the stereo I love.

As you always say...it will pay for itself after a few gigs.

Ian

PS...I still have my Yamaha MS60S system for the occasional restaurant gig.

#258585 - 03/02/09 08:27 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
As you always say...it will pay for itself after a few gigs.

excactly a pro gigger never loses on gear!!!

go for it and enjoy buddy!

#258586 - 03/02/09 11:39 AM Re: OK ... so I played through a BOSE L2 ...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the post simply shows that for the perfect type of gig, the Bose's are the perfect PA. Things might have been different if the owner wanted LOUD at the dancefloor and quiet in the back of the room, though.

I have to admit, for churches, with long, narrow (usually) coverage and the need for even volume from front to back, I can't think of a better system.

I think this forum divides into two camps. Those that do loud dance and bar music, and those that do quieter, background (or at least, not in your face) entertaining. The Bose's are a great PA (although expensive) for the latter. But not so much for the former...

The hard part seems to be getting some diehard Bose fans to admit that there MIGHT be a type of venue that the Bose DON'T provide the best solution. I would expect because they rarely if ever get to play those gigs where they DO need loud and proud at the front, and quiet at the back...

I can easily envision a situation where the Bose would be best. Why do they have so much problem envisioning a situation where they AREN'T?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online