SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#258990 - 03/06/09 06:26 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Can you select a preset voice and tweek patch parameters for SMF's? I know that's probably the long way around doing it and can be very frustrating if you have to constantly program the patch changes though.

Yes in principle - as per stated above and with similar reservations to yours.
On Tyros's you can make your edits and save off the PC as a Custom Voice, and they ARE accessible for re-voicing. No good for S900 though.

John

#258991 - 03/06/09 12:38 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I just got this Pianissimo.

Funny. Every time I open it, my spyware program, Stopzilla, says that it detected and deleted a spyware program called "Vumo."

I'll see if I can tinker with latency. So far, Pianissimo is sounding like crap.

When you are talking about tweaking the S900, you are talking about a USER Voice. Can you insert a user voice in a midi on the S900?

Beakybird

If you have a soundblaster live or audigy, check this: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

these guys built drivers with ASIO support for the SB series, with many features not found in the original manufacturer drivers.

Used to use them before i got tha audiophile, ans they worked. Latency is not that low as with the audiophile, but WAY BETTER than the simple WDM drivers.

#258992 - 03/06/09 01:00 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not to hijack too much, but I might point out that even the lowliest Roland arranger (E50 and up, I guess, anyway) have the ability to easily edit any style, SMF or Keyboard voice. No messing with sys-ex, no nothing. Couldn't be simpler.

If I were a Yamaha user, I'd take a REAL close look at the Makeup Tools on a Roland, then bitch blue bloody murder at Yamaha until I got that feature...

#258993 - 03/06/09 07:12 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

My spyware program recommended that I delete a certain file in the trial Pianissimo program, and now it won't start. It was probably a false alarm.

I didn't think the piano sound was that much better than the PSR-S900's Live!WarmGrand Piano, especially in the mix, and I did notice latency even with the ASIO drivers on my Saffire LE.

I'm not going to go crazy on this. It looks like to get a really great piano sound, I would need a more powerful, or better yet, second computer or a great piano sample loaded on a separate hard drive. I'm not going to do that right now.

It's a big hassle to deal with midi with Yamaha, since I cannot choose a USER voice within an SMF.

I'll just live with the stock piano sounds - for now, until I can afford a Giga quality piano and the computer equipment to handle it.

Beakybird

#258994 - 03/06/09 07:56 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sorry you can't do anything for the SMF route with a user patch. I would still suggest taking a few minutes and tweeking that S900's parameters and saving it to a user location. This way you'll at least have the pianos sound where you want it to call up like any other preset voice. You could still use it for the styles and even user songs. Plus you'd be making a nice solo piano just to sit and enjoy playing.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258995 - 03/11/09 12:31 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Sorry you can't do anything for the SMF route with a user patch. I would still suggest taking a few minutes and tweeking that S900's parameters and saving it to a user location. This way you'll at least have the pianos sound where you want it to call up like any other preset voice. You could still use it for the styles and even user songs. Plus you'd be making a nice solo piano just to sit and enjoy playing.

You cant access User voices from the revoice screen, but you can apply the same edits (mostly) from the Mixing Console Song Part display.

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
www.yamaha.com/pacsupport

#258996 - 03/11/09 01:57 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

That might be a good idea for future models, to have some empty banks available that can be accessed from a computer sequencer.

Beakybird

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online