SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259752 - 03/15/09 03:19 AM What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
This is something new for me in the last few months. Typically, all I've heard said about it is play a foxtrot(s).

The group I'm doing this for regularly likes to do these at least 3 times a night. I am wanting to give as much interesting variety that I can, so I am playing a number of the old songs as a medley. It's about the speed of Alley Cat that I do it. I'm just curious what songs, speed(s) etc you have used with good audience appreciation. Are you using anything other than foxtrots?

Scott

#259753 - 03/15/09 01:47 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... this "whistle dance" is new to me ... can you explain more? ...
I tried to 'google' "whistle dance" and came up with a couple of sites that were NOT family friendly ... ... ...

t.

#259754 - 03/15/09 02:51 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
You may be spot on already, Scott...

Is this a mixer of some kind, where couple dance for 30 seconds or so then switch to a new partner?

Foxtrots are usually what works best.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#259755 - 03/15/09 03:36 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I play for Senior dances in the Phoenix area, and those whistle mixers gives a chance to the ladies (the mayority single since they outlive their spouces), to dance, and the most like a "strading" beat is in deed the Foxtrot, I play a medley (keep the same tempo) that I made up as I go along using standar songs, All og me, It had to be you, My blue heaven, I also made what I call the "Moon" medley, Blue moon, Fly me to the Moon, It's only a Paper moon, etc...you can try to make a Cole Porter-Gershwin like Night & Day, Summertime, etc.
I also sugest you the tempo for the slower Foxtrots around 120-125, the medium Fox from 135-140.
I hope it helps.

------------------
mdorantes

#259756 - 03/15/09 04:10 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Still wondering ... where does the term 'whistle dance' come from???
t.

#259757 - 03/15/09 04:13 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

This is a mixer dance. Everyone goes out on the dance floor, picks a partner and starts dancing, then after a bit the whistle is blown and they switch partners. This goes on and on, they love it.

From what I gather foxtrot is the norm for this. I would like to play it at slightly different speeds, like as in faster to keep it more interesting, but of course this is for seniors, so the question is how fast is too fast for a rather long dance.

I'm playing some of the real oldies:

Who's Sorry Now
Somebody Else Is Taking My Place
Alley Cat
Wedding Bells Are Breaking Up That Old Gang Of Mine
Should I
Walkin My Baby Back Home
Doodle Doo Doo
Do You Ever Think Of Me
Elmers Tune
Souix City Sue
Goofus
Angry (remember Tiny Hill
And a bunch more of this type.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-15-2009).]

#259758 - 03/15/09 04:49 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think they call it a Paul Jones dance also.
DonM

#259759 - 03/15/09 06:27 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I think they call it a Paul Jones dance also.
DonM

Don ...no a paul Jones mixer is two circles one inside the other men & women facing each other ...music starts...
everyone circles opposite directions to a quick step........when the music stops who ever your facing is your partner & then you dance a minute or two to a nice foxtrot.....then its repeated again & again....

In these parts the so called Whistle dance is a really a "SNOW BALL" mixer....
2 people start dancing to a slow foxtrot and every time the music stops they have to go into the audience and pick new partners ...eventually it snowballs into a bigger & bigger crowd until the floor is packed.

#259760 - 03/15/09 09:34 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Another variation is the Waterfall mixer, that works more or less that in the Right side on the Dance floor the ladies make a line and in the Left side the Gentleman, then dance to about 3/4s of the dance floor and each goes back to the line, that way everyone gets to dance.
Usually most mixers last between 8-12 minutes, very much depends on how many people participate.
Here in AZ, they have "Singles" dances, but everyone is welcome, and regular dances too.
Keep in mind that this state is one of the two largest retirement communities in USA, so, there are dances basically 6-7 days at week, check this web site, and this is only one of the dance schedules.
http://members.cox.net/arizonaballroom/

------------------
mdorantes

#259761 - 03/15/09 10:13 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't really play these kinds of functions myself, so I'm afraid I'll have to ask...

What is the age limit at these kinds of functions? I mean the lower limit, I guess... As our audiences (and we!) get older, do you think this kind of thing will survive much longer? Should I be preparing this kind of material up, or is it likely by the time I get old enough to play these things, they won't exist?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online