SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259762 - 03/15/09 11:21 PM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Diki

The age group is about the same as what is/was the targeted customer base for the home organ business, which we were told was age 55 to deceased

Most of the people at these functions are probably in there 70's and 80's. We had one birthday girl a few weeks ago that was 96. There's a 100 year old man that likes to attend.

I would like to hope that this would continue with the younger folks, but I'm thinking that the baby boomers will not really get into this, because they don't relate to this type of function just as they don't relate to home organs. Different era.

These seniors are doing things here that they did when they were young. This is great for them for socializing and haing fun. It gives those that lost their spouses a chance to find a new partner.

The baby boomers were different because by that time rock took over and dancing was no longer about holding your partner and having to know anything about any real dance steps.

I think when this generation goes it's over for this type of function. If the baby boomers do anything leaning this way I believe it will be listening to CD's with or without a DJ.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-15-2009).]

#259763 - 03/16/09 12:41 AM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think its not going to translate at all to a younger generation.

The ages I see are late 50's and up....and up...

Also, depending on the size of your crowd, you should adjust the length sometimes. If its a big crowd, then people can drop out if they're tired...so you can go on for awhile.

If its a smaller crowd, keep it shorter...

I generally don't care for these...The two places that I see these at are only doing this because a few dancers insist upon it. A lot of people don't like to dance with strangers and head for the rest rooms or the bar as soon as we announce it.

It reminds me of a bigger version of a tango, lol...a few may want it, but most would be just fine without it.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#259764 - 03/16/09 03:42 AM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:

Another variation is the Waterfall mixer, that works more or less that in the Right side on the Dance floor the ladies make a line and in the Left side the Gentleman, then dance to about 3/4s of the dance floor and each goes back to the line, that way everyone gets to dance.
Usually most mixers last between 8-12 minutes, very much depends on how many people participate.
Here in AZ, they have "Singles" dances, but everyone is welcome, and regular dances too.
Keep in mind that this state is one of the two largest retirement communities in USA, so, there are dances basically 6-7 days at week, check this web site, and this is only one of the dance schedules.
http://members.cox.net/arizonaballroom/

Yes Manuel the "Line Mixer' is the most popular around here also, great ice breaker.
I do two a night ...people love these 15 min each...plus it gives me a break to come off the stage & Shmooze the audience as I have several non stop custom made "Dance Mixer music recorded.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-16-2009).]

#259765 - 03/16/09 07:12 AM Re: What do you guys play for a whistle dance for seniors?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I tried this at a NH gig, however I must have got my signals crossed.

When I blew the whistle everyone headed for the bathroom. :0

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online