SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26020 - 11/17/99 11:15 PM xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
morphyx Offline

Loc: winchester va
hello list,.. a few quick q's

1)overall, are you happy with the sounds compared to other synths?

2)can cubase or other sequencer access patches from the expand boards at the same time as the normal patches? for exmp: midi chan#1bass/#2piano/#3organ/#4techno sound/#5session sounds/6#orchestrl etc?

3)is it the same as a xp60 without the sequencer...are the effects different?

4)overall,..is it a good quality product or more like an entry level synth

5)can you save patch tweaks to the bank/patch# it's at or only to the smartmedia cards?are the factory presets permanant?is there a user bank?

I currantly have a childs toy(yamaha psr500) and anything is better but I want a good synth and can only afford one. I want to be happy with it for years to come and give me lots of sounds and patches that are tweakable and shapeable. thanks, morphyx

#26021 - 11/19/99 12:57 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
syrupdude Offline

Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Yea. I think it sounds pretty good.

2)can cubase or other sequencer access patches from the expand boards at the same time as the normal patches?

Yes. In performance mode, you can access 15 patches and one rhythm set simultaneously. And each patch can use tones from different boards.

I don't have an xp60, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes as far as the internals go. I believe the 60 has more outputs and more pedal jacks. Maybe more keys.

Well, I'd say it's priced at entry level. It's physical build is as good as any other synth out there. The sound quality is great, and it's very tweakable. The number of patches (and the three expansion boards) was the biggest selling point for me. Then when I started playing with it, I discovered a whole slew of other cool shit that I didn't even know about when I bought it.

5)can you save patch tweaks to the bank/patch# it's at or only to the smartmedia cards?are the factory presets permanant?is there a user bank?

Yes. You can save all of your stuff in the user area (128 patches, 2 rhythm sets, 32 performances). If you run out of room there, you can move stuff to/from your computer with the included SoundDiver (see previous thread about soundiver thinking my xp-30 was a jv1010 to get it to work), or you can save to the cards.
You can edit the factory settings for patches rhythm sets, and performances, but that information will be lost if you do not store it in the user area (that's it's purpose) or one of the other methods I just mentioned.

>I currantly have a childs toy(yamaha psr500) and anything is better but I want a good synth and can only afford one. I want to be happy with it for years to come and give me lots of sounds and patches that are tweakable and shapeable.

I think this will fit your needs quite nicely. At this price range (I found mine for $900), you definitely get you money's worth.

#26022 - 11/21/99 07:44 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
morphyx Offline

thanks syrupdude,... I went and played with gear this weekend. I think I've been sold on the korg TRITON. seq/sampler/flash os/SCSI
at twice the price its a dent in my lifestyle but I dont have to worry about the future of it. thanks for your reply. and yes the xp30 is nice(i didnt like the joystick tho) but fell in love w/korg! good luck! morphyx

#26023 - 11/21/99 11:58 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
RJAYL Offline

Loc: Neenah, WI, US
I have an XP-30 and I agree with all the good thing said about it. If you can live with the pitch bender then go for it.

#26024 - 11/22/99 04:16 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
morphyx Offline

im reconsidering,....man i hate making decisions!! buying a synth for less than a grand is easier to swallow than the big korg and i'm not so sure i need a workstation since i'm on cubase. is there any other synth that can touch the xp30 for the money?
this will be my only keyboard and i just want to make sure i get the most for my money. BTW,...is $950 a good price?

also,..will the jv/xp 60/80 patches i see on the web work in the xp30 using a midi librarian?

[This message has been edited by morphyx (edited 11-22-1999).]

#26025 - 11/23/99 09:56 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
xenophobe Offline

Loc: Omaha ne usa
Do you plan on playing live? If so, you'll need a workstation or another external sequencer to play live. What kind of music styles will you be writing? Wait b4 you dive for the Triton. Think and consider. If you're only going to play around at home, you do not need a workstation. Sampling can be done better on a computer too. If you have any questions email me at xenophobe69@usa.net

#26026 - 11/24/99 12:40 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
morphyx Offline

Hello,

I'm not really sure what I want besides a brand new synth! I'm currently recording Industrial-gothrock-ambient techno noise. Basically I have consumer grade gear and I'm not in a band but plan to be soon hopefully.
I think I'm reconsidering a workstation for now, cause I'm not so sure I need It just yet and just want to concentrate on a high quality performance synth with alot of sounds, live realtime tweakability, and widespred support for patches,help, etc. I'm not a "pianist" or even a "keyboard player" per say, I'm a guitarist who also plays keyboard.
I definately want a quality instrument that will be with me for sometime. It may become nothing more than a tone mod or controller for other mods in the future. I've only looked at the Triton, XP60,XP30 . I have not played with the N5EX,Trinity, Alesis Q-series or euro stuff.
Thanks for any advice .......morphyx
Heres my gear:

P2 300 PC
Cubase VST
ReBirth
Bitheadz Retro AS1
Yamaha psr500 synth(toy)
Mackie 1402 mixer
Marshall MXL condenser mic
Alesis midiverb IV
Alesis Monitor one speakers
Peavy CEL2 comp/limit/exp
Line6 POD DI
Jackson ps4 guitar
Peavy Bass

#26027 - 12/08/99 08:39 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
JerryA Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Morphyx:
I though I would answer your questions, and then suggest two ideas. I have an XP50 plus expansion boards. It works the same way.

Yes, Yes, Yes,
2)can cubase or other sequencer access patches from the expand boards at the same time as the normal patches? for exmp: midi chan#1bass/#2piano/#3organ/#4techno sound/#5session sounds/6#orchestrl etc?
Yes, Yes, Yes
Same sounds.. same effects, no sequencer
I think the keyboard is light in action, but of high quality.
There is a user bank. There are thousands of patches which usese of the JV/XP series have posted on the web.

OK here are my two suggestions.
1)Wait till you are established in the band and happy in your guitar role before looking for a synth.
2) Based on the description of yourself and your music, you might first consider whether you want a rom machine(XP30) or a virtual analog machine like the yamaha AN1x ($499 if you can still find one). If a few tasty analog sound effects and pads (a la Geddy Lee) are going to be more useful to you than 20 different saxophone sounds get a VA. Just a thought. Trouble is, most virtual analogs are deficient in the emulation of natural instruments like piano and organ. If you decide on a rom based machine, you can do no better than an xp30 IMO.

#26028 - 12/10/99 06:46 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
I must agree that I like the sounds of Roland XP30 a lot. It is the champion of its class - under a grand and with tons of good sounds. However, I really do not think that Roland should cut corners on its joystick. The joysticks on XP60 and XP80 are so much better. The ones on cheaper models like XP30, JX305 etc. come with a joystick with very little Y-axis movements - it already confuses some of the XP/JV forum participants that modulation (Y-axis movement of joystick) does not work. Actually I like Korg's joysticks better than Roland's - they are better quality and smoother in operations. However, I like Roland JV sounds much better especially those patches from the additional sound boards.

Paul Ip

#26029 - 12/27/99 10:49 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Morphyx!

As i virtually make the same music as you do, i perhaps can but this in the same point of view.

What caught me with the XP-30 was first the enourmous sound-quality of the patches. I actually was out browsing, and the XP was the only one i hadn't listened to in the store so i sleepily asked for a pair of headphones from the manager. Woom! I stood there for 2 hours and couldn't get away from the damned thing. It ended up with that i, in a state of trance, walked right up to the salesman and bought it. Right off. I didn't even plan to invest in a synth at all.

Now, afterwards, i am very happy about it. For your/mine kind of music it has some amazing pads and very nice analogue background "noises". If you use strings, which i do excessively, you are in for a mean string machine; the onboard Orchestral expansion is amazing.

And when you get to know it a little better, it can be toyed with alot. I also have a Korg N5, which i love for it's pads and soundscapes, you should look to it as well since it is much much cheaper and could perhaps buy both.

I just need to get my XP to function properly with my Cakewalk, other than that i adore it. It is well worth the money, and i don't think Triton will make THAT much a difference to you, seeing what kind of user you are. Save the money and buy two synths instead, is my advice. Among them, the XP-30.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online