SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26030 - 12/27/99 03:04 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Morphyx, if all you are getting is one
synth, get the Triton.

It's sampler will keep you up to date for a long, long time.

Also, dont forget that the Triton can be upgraded with the incredible MOSS physical analogue modelling card, and it has expansion cards.

Also, the xp-30 has a very annoying decay-grunge defect at the end of the notes.

If your going for the all in one sytnh, get the triton. I have seen the 61 key version of the triton going for $1900. US.

If you ever get tired of the Tritons sounds, just sample away.

#26031 - 12/27/99 07:16 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
syrupdude Offline

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
...an "annoying decay-grunge defect" that only arvon can hear. take his advice with a grain of salt. he's played one, which may or may not have been defective, for all of about half an hour, and now takes it upon himself to remind roland users on a daily basis all over the net that he has nothing better to do than complain about a product he does not even own. I, personally, am on a religious crusade to tell people all over the world to stop drinking Pepsi (I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker) because I took a sip of one once and it was flat. If I didn't know better, I would think he works for a competitor.

If you find that there are a few patches you don't care for, there are about 1500 others to choose from. Besides, Tritons loose their punch in sequencer mode (btw, the sequencer can't handle sysex), the pianos suck, the sampler is very basic, the case is all cheap plastic, and they cost more than twice as much.

#26032 - 12/28/99 08:05 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Arvon45 Offline

Looks like syrup dude has been consuming a bit too much "syrup" eh?

As for me being the only one hearing the decay issue, go to :

www.harmony-central.com and click on the synth database for the xp-30 and 60. There are other people who have this problem as well.

Also try sonicstate.coms synth database. YOu will see complaints of this noise in there as well.

And for your information syrup, I had the 60 for 28 days before I returned it.

Also, the Tritons case is plastic on the ends(just like xp's).

Lets not forget that the Tritons effect section is worth 500 dollars in and of itself. YOu can even hook up other instruments(and your own voice) to its effects unit and output them to a recording device. LEts not also forget the SCCI option, which allows the Triton to be hooked up to a hard disk.

Also, the Triton has a fab ribbon controller, and an x/y joystick UNLIKE the xp's.

It also has a sampler.
The synth engine is not as complex as the xp's, but that is remedied in one fail swoop by picking up the MOSS synth card, which in turn surpasses the xp's synth engine capabilities.

As for the sounds loosing their punch, thats because you need to manually copy the effects to the sequencer. THey dont automatically follow the sound to the sequencer.

Lets not forget the DUAL arpeggiator.

Look, I like the roland xp's, but the grunge issue is ridiculous. The xp's are way overpriced for what you get, and sound a little bit dated to me.

I would have kept my xp-60 though had they fixed the grunge issue.

#26033 - 12/28/99 03:04 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
DanO Offline

Loc: Ohio
Until now, I have not gone to the website Arvon mentioned--I took him for his word. But he keeps complaining about the grunge decay problem, so I checked out the website. I scanned the user reviews and all appeared to be very satisfied with their XPs. All the reviews for sound quality showed high praise.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I agree with Syrupdude, Arvon probably had a defective unit. I just can't hear the problem he is talking about. My JV-2080 is stellar.

I guess it depends on the other gear you are using. I have a D-50, D-70 and an S-760, as well as the JV-2080. I can't say enough good things about what that unit has allowed me to accomplish. I was involved with a CD project that used JV-1080's virtually, until mixdown. The results were, in my opinion, very good. To check it out go to: www.entityprod.com Look for the Midnight Syndicate "Born of the Night" CD. There are a few tracks you can listen to on the site.

I did sound effects for that CD, and am very critical with regards to sound. Noisey presets and outputs really bother me. I just don't have that problem with the JV-2080.

My advice, as others have already said, is to spend the money you would have spent on the Triton and get two synths. If people would spend the time to program their synths, they would find that there are quite a few capable synths out there. Presets only show so much of a synths capabilities these days.

I like the Korgs, but I really believe that they are overpriced for what you get. I have heard alot about the sampler feature, but in all honesty, not many people sample their own sounds anyway. I do like the capability to do so, but you could use a computer nowadays to do a much better job, to shape the samples, than a stand alone unit, let alone one in a keyboard synth.

Also, I don't buy into the idea that you have to spend an arm and a leg to get quality products, as all professional gear are designed for the long haul. Try to find the quality available in a consumer keyboard, and then complain about the decay grunge of the sound. Don't get caught up in the idea that one keyboard is infinitely better than another because it is newer and costs more. If I had a certain amount of money to spend, I would try to get the most for my money. One single unit is not the most bang for the buck, as far as I am concerned.

Would I own a Triton? Maybe if it were cheaper, but I wouldn't overlook the Roland quality gear. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Roland gear. I believe that Korg is always behind in the game with respect to keyboard products. For example, when the XPs and JVs were 64 note polyphony, the Trinity was still only 32. With all the cool things that the Trinity's were supposed to do, you couldn't put together a whole song arrangement using only the sound engine and the sequencer. If that is the only synth you owned, you would have to record the parts to physical tracks, in order to gain more notes of polyphony.

Sure the Triton may be the flavor of this month, but Roland is sure to come up with something at the NAMM show. If you have the patience, you may want to wait to see what all the manufacturers come out with.

I guess it just depends on what you really want...only you can decide that.

#26034 - 12/28/99 07:51 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Matic Offline

Loc: Pace, Fl. USA
I would say the from a money standpoint, the Trinity is the best deal. It's going for about $1500 right now and is really a great deal. The 61 key is still in production right now along with all expansions. I think what has made it so popular is the cleanliness of the sounds. The acoustic guitar is wonderful. The strings are great and its effects are right there with the Triton. If you totally deck out a Trinity with SCSI/Flashrom/Moss Board exp. you will basically have a Triton, just without the Sampler. I think it works great as a standalone synth. It has a touchscreen and doesn't have all the pages to turn through. I know it may have seemed a little expensive a few years back, but you have to try it out for yourself. As for the limited polyphony, I think sound quality makes up for this. Remember, sometimes less is more!!!

#26035 - 12/29/99 07:08 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Arvon45 Offline

Dano--

What the heck are you talking about?

Did you even BOTHER to read the sites at the links I posted?

Go to harmony-central.com, go to synth database, and read the reviews for the xp-60, xp-30, jv 2080, and 80.

Do the same for sonicstate.com and go to the synthzone.

You know what? Let me provide you with DIRECT links and QUOTES so you dont have trouble AGAIN:

Review from
http://harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/JV-2080-01.html

Price Paid: 2,100 SFr
Ease of Use: 8
Good

Features: 8
Good. Limited polyphony (64) for such an otherwise powerful synth.

Expressiveness/Sounds: 8
Good.

Reliability: 1
My JV-2080, bought in June 98, has a shocking decay noise problem (most likely in the D/A converters) which makes it unfortunately unsuitable for serious studio work. I have heard of other users with similiar D/A converter noise problems as well, so it's obviously something that Roland has not yet fixed.

Customer Support: 1
My 2080 is in the shop now getting (hopefully) the problem mentioned above fixed. Will let you know how Roland rates...

Overall Rating: 1
At the moment, with its serious D/A converter noise bug, I cannot recommend the JV-2080 to any serious musician. I can only hope that after it returns fixed from the workshop, it will finally become an extremely useful studio tool, as otherwise its sounds, its expansion capabilities and ease of use are very good.

Submitted by David at 11/21/1998 22:59

------------------------------------------

taken from harmony again at:
http://harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/XP-30-01.html

Overall Rating: 9
The grunge in my XP-30 was not a system-level problem, the output stage was defective. My service tech replaced a couple of parts and the problem went away! Curiously, this was the second XP-30 exhibiting the problem (the first I returned to the store)

Price Paid: N/A
Ease of Use: N/A
I seem to have stirred up a bitof contraversy with my review of the XP-30 by stating there was observable digital grunge in the samples. Several readers and XP-30 owners took issue with my statements, so I feel a more detailed update is in order. I haven't had time to complete my investigation, so here's what I plan to do - I'll create some WAV files of the offending patches and post them on my Web site for your perusal and rebuttal (I really hope there is something amiss with my synth, or my eras, but this is the second one to have the symptoms!) The peculiar sound around G1 has been traced, and I'm embarassed to admit was a resonance from a jar of writing implements! But the grunge factor is still a problem for me. It appears at this writing to be a form of IM distortion, or harmonic interaction. I'll keep you posted.
David Kempton davidk@thesoundsmith.com

Submitted by Anonymous at 06/06/1999

Ease of Use: 7
The XP-30 is probably the greatest sounding box out there right now for the money if you plan to take it live, but there is a significant amount of digital grunge in many of the samples, like they compressed them a little too far. Some of the sounds exhibit no trace of this, while others are really quite annoying, especially around G1.
Editing is as straightforward as any Roland product (about average for the current generation)

Features: 9
64-voice polyphony is used quickly in multitimbral performances, so set your voice reserves carefully. The effects are very good in general. The two expansion slots took cards from my XP-80 with no problem. Aftertouch is good (and adjustable). The slider assignment capabilities are really useful if you are controlling external modules. Eachslider can accept a system-wide assignment (not patch-by-patch, but what do you expect for under a grand street price?)

Expressiveness/Sounds: 7
Great nylon guitar, double-reed, bones, string sections, ambient and tek sounds. Very good electric guitars, church organs, cellos/bass. Adequate flute, pianos, electric pianos, clavs. The Hammonds suck. Onboard fx help a lot. Good response and feel.

Reliability: 7
Dependability with Roland is generally very good, I've only had this a short time so can't be objective. WOuld I use it on a gig without a backup? Of course, I'm not Herbie Hancock! I can't afford 2 of everything...

Overall Rating: 8
I have about a dozen other keyboards and modules, have been playing a long while. I buy my keyboards as system components, not stand-alone units. I got this to act as a live adjunct to an acoustic piano gig with drummer/vocalist and sequencer. I wanted better quality sounds than we currently get (he uses an SC-88 and the sounds, to me, are cheesy.) This is a significant upgrade to the sound quality.
I wish it were as clean as my XP-80; as soon as I have time, I intend to check out another unit at a music store to see if this is endemic, or if I got a noisy one (but I don't think I did...) Generally, it's a fine machine for its price point.
If anyone who owns one listens closely in a studio (or really quiet) context and can tell me there's no trailing grunge on any patches, I'd love to hear fropm you while I'm still under warranty.

-------------------

more from hamrony central at:

http://harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/XP-60-01.html

Ease of Use: 6
Easy as can be. The sequencer is a pain..but the board is only a few weeks old. I will get the hang of it(if I keep it).

Editing patches is a piece of cake.

The manual is helpful in starting a campfire.

Features: 8
The Keyboard action feels GREAT. I dig it. Polyphony is nice as well.

The effects sound good enough to me. I would like to be able to employ deep hall2 reverb AND a delay, but what can you do.

The expansion slots are a nice feature. However, I heard a few of the expansion boards and I amn not impressed with them.

The pressure sensitivity on the keys is excellent. Aftertouch and velocity is great.

Like I said before, the onboard sequencer is escaping me at the moment, because my xp-60 is at a certified roland tech for a "little" decay problem.

Expressiveness/Sounds: 1
Most of the sounds are crap, but thats ok. The synth engine is very deep, and I have already pulled some crazy stuff out of it with only a few days. HEY ROLAND DITCH THe DARN SAX SOUNDS. THEY SOUND LIKE A DROWNING DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the xp-60's sounds cover a wide variety of styles. Thats whats so nice about it. Most of the bland sounds can be fiddled with to be made very good.

The onboard effects are good, but a little limited.

heres the major problem:

My xp-60 has a grunge-static noise on notes with alot of sustain.
Add in a little reverb, and its downright ANNOYING. Try one of the accoustic guiatr patches, or a sharp piano. Make sure the effects and chorus buttons are enabled. I first noticed this when in my quiet home with a pair of studio quality headphones. It is balatant in a quiet environment. It seems this problem would render the xp-60 USELESS for quieter passages in the studio.

I like this keyboard, I like it alot. If Roland can fix this problem for free, I will keep it. If not, I still have 14 days to returnt it to the store for a full refund.

I dropped it off at an official roland tech here in the Chicago area.
I then called roland customer support, and was basically yelled at and insulted. In fact, all net users in general were insulted.

I told the rep that the xp-80, and 50 did NOT have this problem. HE told me I was wrong. He said he owned an xp-80 and it was fine. I told him the problem wasnt with the xp-80, and that it was the 60 I was calling about. He told me "if you have to be in a quiet room to hear it, whats the problem"?

He basically started to raise his voice, and sigh dramatically. He told me he was going to hang up if I was going to argue with him. My voice was level and even tempered the entire time. He then said he just saw a lady play an xp-60 in a large auditorium, and he didnt hear anything, ect. HE then said that "noise" is an inherent design of the roalnd 1080 line. I told him I already knew that , and that this type of noise was a DEFECT grunge-static noise on notes with alot of sustain ect, and not the usual sample-go round noise at the end of alot of synths.

HE told me to call back after I talked with the certified Roland tech, which should be tomorrow.

This was easily the worst customer service encounter I have ever had, with any manufacturer, ANYWHERE, for ANY product.

Excuse me if I dont want my 1500$ sytnh sounding like a 10 dollar pc soundcard.

I bough the keyboard two weeks ago. A few days after that, I noticed the noise. Since I like the keyboard, I decided to see if Roland would fix it for free first so that I could just keep it. Most people if they encounterd a faulty product would take it back and get a refund immediately. I however, decided to put my faith in Roland as a company, and give them the benefit of the doubt. I assumed they would handle this situation with aplomb and class. I figured it would not be a hassle. Sure, messing around with techs and customer sevice with something you just bought IS a hassle, but like I said, I liked the board. I thought it would be worth it.

So, I have 14 days to return it and get a refund. If roland will not recognize or fix this problem by then, I will get a refund.

I probably will pocket the money and wait a few months to see what pops up on the market. Im not too enmamored with the Triton, or any other synth for under 2k really, except for the xp-60.

The xp-60 WOULD have been an excellent little controller and creator along with my sampler and software sequencer.

The ball is in Rolands court now....they have 14 days to act in good faith for a loyal customer.

But instead, I get a pouty, winning customer service rep. HE tells me " you cant speak with my boss because it is the christmas rush" ??????????

Sorry Roland, you get a big fat 1 for sounds. This MAY change if you stand behind your products and FIX them.

Reliability: 1
The xp-60 is worhtless as a studio synth.

Customer Support: 2
Roland customer support is the worst I have ever experienced, for ANY product, by ANY manufacturer I have ever witnessed.

Overall Rating: 2
If it were lost or stolen, and I knew the decay issue would be fixed? I would get it again.

I have been playing for several years.

I love the synthesis engine, the bender, the realtime controls, the keyboard feel, the aftertouch/velocity ect.

I hate the decay grunge and roland customer support. Truly a frightening experience.

DO NOT BUY AN XP-60 unitl this issue is resolved. Check them out at the store with a GOOD pair of headhones on a non-busy day.

Roland customer service is not recommended. TheW ORST customer service I have EVER encountered, for ANY product, by ANY manufacture

another review from same site:

Price Paid: US $1550
Overall Rating: 2
Hi, Note: this is just an update to my previous review. What I'm referring to is the decay noise problem that is common to new Roland keyboard and module products. I have contacted Roland on this problem and they told me: "This problem is inherent of the machine you are using. The XP-60, 80, & JV-2080 all use 18-bit converters so they have a brighter and clearer sound thus exposing noise on the decay of notes in some patches. The JV-1080 and XP-50 use 16-bit converters and have a darker sound so you don't hear the noise." This is the explanation Roland gave but, I think it's just an excuse for inferior sounding converters on supposedly superior keyboards and modules. I then asked if Roland saw this decay noise issue as a problem and if so, were they currently working on a fix. Here's what I got: "We've contacted Japan on this subject but, we haven't heard a response yet." I asked what do they suggest I do in the mean time (I already told the tech I have a 1080 and didn't notice the problem there). Another quote folks: "Use your 1080 for intro parts and quieter passages." I tested another r XP-60 in another state and city (I was just on a business trip), same problem. Here are a few patches that can be auditioned which have a louder noise problem than most. PR-A 072 Fantasia JV, 084 Wave Bells, 086 Beauty Bells. PR-B 112 Alto Sax. Note: Be sure to have all the internal effects on and listen through quality headsets - preferably some place quiet. I think I should let everyone know that I am not a Roland basher and I have been a Roland and Boss user since 1989 (D-20). I guess I am more disappointed than anything. I use to look forward to new Roland products knowing that they would be the standards by which all others would be judged. I hope Roland doesn't incorporate these same "brighter & clearer 18-bit converters" into new products. For now I still use the XP-60 along with the JV-1080 for all of my synth sounds. I returned the E-MU Proteus 2000 for another JV-1080. I have plans to expand it with the newest cards. I hope this clears up any confusion. Tyrone Oliver

Submitted by Tyrone Oliver at 05/31/1999 09:41

Price Paid: US $1550.00
Ease of Use: 8
I am using an XP-60 with ROM ver. 1.10. The presets sound pretty good (standard Roland sound set - 1080, 2080, XP-50 & 80). Editing the pathches is not too hard because of the excellent graphic display. The manual is very general and too "formal" - It reads like Airforce Tech Data (very dry). Roland should hire an american company to write a better manual, ala "XP-60 for Dummies" ect...

Features: 9
64 voice polyphony with standard keyboard action (nothing to brag on). Good effects, very easy to use. Excellent expansion capabilties. I have the Orchestral, Vintage synth, 60's & 70's, & Hip-Hop cards - love them all! Sequencer is pretty good but I use an Akai MPC2000 to sequence so I never bother it and it never bothers me. This is basically a 61 key ver. of the XP-80.

Expressiveness/Sounds: 1
Sounds are generally good for all types of music. Very responsive to aftertouch. Effects are good and very programmable. Now here's what's wrong with it. IT HAS A TERRIBLE DECAY NOISE PROBLEM THAT IS VERY AUDIBLE ON PATCHES WITH ALOT OF SUSTAIN. THIS IS AUGMENTED IF THE PATCH USES ONBOARD REVERB. I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS IN THE STORE BECAUSE MUSIC STORES ARE LOUD AND I WAS ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH THE SOUND SET FROM USING A JV-1080. I PRIMARILY MONITOR WITH HEADSETS (SONY MDR-7506) AND FOUND THIS TERRIBLE PROBLEM WHILE SEQUENCING A HARP SOLO. I INITIALLY THOUGHT IT WAS IN THE INTERNAL EFFECTS UNIT SO I CUT IT OFF AND THE DECAY NOISE IS STILL THERE. IT SOUNDS LIKE A CHEAP 8-BIT SOUND CARD - VERY FUZZY AND STATICY AND THE END OF NOTES WITH LONG SUSTAIN. I INVESTIGATED THIS PROBLEM BY TESTING ANOTHER XP-60 - SAME PROBLEM. I TESTED A JV-1080 AND NO PROBLEM - VERY CLEAN. I TESTED A JV-2080 AND THERE IS A DECAY NOISE PROBLEM, BUT NOT AS LOUD AS THE XP-60. THE XP-80 I CHECKED DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM - SOUNDED AS GOOD AS THE JV-1080. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS SYNTH TO ANYONE TO USE AS A PRO. SYNTH. BUT AT THE STREET PRICE OF $1,500, ITS COST IS CERTAINLY PRO. THIS NOISE PROBLEM HAS FORCED ME TO LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR SYNTH SOUNDS, SO INSTEAD OF BUYING A 1080 I GOT A PROTEUS 2000 WITH VERY GOOD AND CLEAN (NO DECAY NOISE) SOUNDS. I JUST USE THE XP-60 AS A CONTROLLER AND BACKING SOUNDS. IT'S A DAMN SHAME A KEYBOARD WITH SO MUCH POTENTIAL COULD FAIL IN AN AREA AS CRITICAL SOUND QUALITY. NOT RECOMMENDED, GET A JV-1080 OR PROTEUS 2000!

Reliability: 8
I think it will hold up. I do notice how newer Roland keyboards feel cheaper then say a D-50 or a D-20. Gotta cut costs somehow I guess. Too bad Roland decided to go with cheaper D/A converters on it's flagship Modual and Mid-priced workstations

Customer Support: 1
On my attempt to reach Roland to adress this problem I looked in the back of the manual and called 213-685-5141. The area code change to 323 - no problem... o.k. 323-685-5141.... "The number you have dailed is disconnected" It figuers, i'm sure no one at Roland will admit to this problem and probably just blow me off.

Overall Rating: 1
This would have been the workstation to end all workstations as far as price and features go. But the bottom line is this; how good does it sound. Most competing synth companies can't compare with Rolands sound set and features but with Shitty D/A converters your beautiful Roland sounds end up sounding like they were played though an 8-bit computer sound card. Everything was in the right place on this workstation except Roland dropped the ball and went with cheap D/A converters. Hint, Roland: YOU DON'T CUT CORNERS BY DEGRADING THE SOUND QUALITY, YOU DO IT BY CUTTING THE FEATURES. THIS SYNTH IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE PROFFESIONAL/STUDIO MUSICIAN.

Submitted by T.Oliver at 05/10/1999 08:03

-------------------------------

From the Synthsite at :
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/Roland_XP-60.cfm

Hi, Note: this is just an update to my previous review. What I'm referring to is the decay noise problem that is common to new Roland keyboard and module products. I have contacted Roland on this problem and they told me: "This problem is inherent of the machine you are using. The XP-60, 80, & JV-2080 all use 18-bit converters so they have a brighter and clearer sound thus exposing noise on the decay of notes in some patches. The JV-1080 and XP-50 use 16-bit converters and have a darker sound so you don't hear the noise." This is the explanation Roland gave but, I think it's just an excuse for inferior sounding converters on supposedly superior keyboards and modules. I then asked if Roland saw this decay noise issue as a problem and if so, were they currently working on a fix. Here's what I got: "We've contacted Japan on this subject but, we haven't heard a response yet." I asked what do they suggest I do in the mean time (I already told the tech I have a 1080 and didn't notice the problem there). Another quote folks: "Use your 1080 for intro parts and quieter passages." I tested another r XP-60 in another state and city (I was just on a business trip), same problem. Here are a few patches that can be auditioned which have a louder noise problem than most. PR-A 072 Fantasia JV, 084 Wave Bells, 086 Beauty Bells. PR-B 112 Alto Sax. Note: Be sure to have all the internal effects on and listen through quality headsets - preferably some place quiet. I think I should let everyone know that I am not a Roland basher and I have been a Roland and Boss user since 1989 (D-20). I guess I am more disappointed than anything. I use to look forward to new Roland products knowing that they would be the standards by which all others would be judged. I hope Roland doesn't incorporate these same "brighter & clearer 18-bit converters" into new products. For now I still use the XP-60 along with the JV-1080 for all of my synth sounds. I returned the E-MU Proteus 2000 for another JV-1080. I have plans to expand it with the newest cards. I hope this clears up any confusion. Tyrone Oliver

another from same site...........

Ease of Use: 8 I am using an XP-60 with ROM ver. 1.10. The presets sound pretty good (standard Roland sound set - 1080, 2080, XP-50 & 80). Editing the pathches is not too hard because of the excellent graphic display. The manual is very general and too "formal" - It reads like Airforce Tech Data (very dry). Roland should hire an american company to write a better manual, ala "XP-60 for Dummies" ect...

Features: 9 64 voice polyphony with standard keyboard action (nothing to brag on). Good effects, very easy to use. Excellent expansion capabilties. I have the Orchestral, Vintage synth, 60's & 70's, & Hip-Hop cards - love them all! Sequencer is pretty good but I use an Akai MPC2000 to sequence so I never bother it and it never bothers me. This is basically a 61 key ver. of the XP-80.

Expressiveness/Sounds: 1 Sounds are generally good for all types of music. Very responsive to aftertouch. Effects are good and very programmable. Now here's what's wrong with it. IT HAS A TERRIBLE DECAY NOISE PROBLEM THAT IS VERY AUDIBLE ON PATCHES WITH ALOT OF SUSTAIN. THIS IS AUGMENTED IF THE PATCH USES ONBOARD REVERB. I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS IN THE STORE BECAUSE MUSIC STORES ARE LOUD AND I WAS ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH THE SOUND SET FROM USING A JV-1080. I PRIMARILY MONITOR WITH HEADSETS (SONY MDR-7506) AND FOUND THIS TERRIBLE PROBLEM WHILE SEQUENCING A HARP SOLO. I INITIALLY THOUGHT IT WAS IN THE INTERNAL EFFECTS UNIT SO I CUT IT OFF AND THE DECAY NOISE IS STILL THERE. IT SOUNDS LIKE A CHEAP 8-BIT SOUND CARD - VERY FUZZY AND STATICY AND THE END OF NOTES WITH LONG SUSTAIN. I INVESTIGATED THIS PROBLEM BY TESTING ANOTHER XP-60 - SAME PROBLEM. I TESTED A JV-1080 AND NO PROBLEM - VERY CLEAN. I TESTED A JV-2080 AND THERE IS A DECAY NOISE PROBLEM, BUT NOT AS LOUD AS THE XP-60. THE XP-80 I CHECKED DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM - SOUNDED AS GOOD AS THE JV-1080. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS SYNTH TO ANYONE TO USE AS A PRO. SYNTH. BUT AT THE STREET PRICE OF $1,500, ITS COST IS CERTAINLY PRO. THIS NOISE PROBLEM HAS FORCED ME TO LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR SYNTH SOUNDS, SO INSTEAD OF BUYING A 1080 I GOT A PROTEUS 2000 WITH VERY GOOD AND CLEAN (NO DECAY NOISE) SOUNDS. I JUST USE THE XP-60 AS A CONTROLLER AND BACKING SOUNDS. IT'S A DAMN SHAME A KEYBOARD WITH SO MUCH POTENTIAL COULD FAIL IN AN AREA AS CRITICAL SOUND QUALITY. NOT RECOMMENDED, GET A JV-1080 OR PROTEUS 2000!

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/Roland_X80-1.cfm :

Rating: 5 out of 5 posted Sunday, 14-Nov-99 at 21:36
John Bennett Jnjben@juno.com a hobbyist user from USA writes:
Great synth. Sometimes I've had problems with the timing of the sequencer. Sent it into Roland and they upgraded it for free. That helped quite a bit. But it still has a bit of a problem
Right now the greatest problem that I have is a distorted decay that trails the reverb. If you listen closely at least to my box you can hear it.

When I record it I just turn off the reverb and record with outboard reverb and that takes care of it.

Some people don't like the drum sounds --- hint get the drums and bass card that will give you a lot to work with and then tweak like crazy.

It's a pretty deep machine and there's lots of areas that I've never taken time to discover.

I'm sure that eventually that I'll wish that I had waited to get a newer or better machine. They all sound great, and they all have cool features, but I've been using the xp series since '95 and considering costs and everything I'm pretty pleased.

God bless you guys and happy music making

---------------------------------------

Well DANO, there it is. How did you ever have such a hard time finding comments that echo mine on the links I mentioned?

You claim that I am "wrong" and that I am the only one who has heard this problem. Well, it looks like you are the one who is wrong.

You claimed there were not ANY reviews concerning the defect-grunge decay issue on the links I provided earlier. Why?

Why would you lie about something like that? Do you work for Roland?

I wonder if any other false comments are in your post...................

#26036 - 12/29/99 09:41 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe there might be some units of XP-30's being defective. I can't say what everyone else has experienced. What i can say, though, is that my XP-30 has none of the above mentioned problems, joyfully enough. It sounds crisp as crystal, and i wouldn't want to have any other synth for the equal amount of cash.

Just a mention.

#26037 - 12/29/99 10:19 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
DanO Offline

Loc: Ohio
Well Arvon, I stand corrected. I guess I looked in the wrong section of the reviews for the grunge effect. That still doesn't prove to me that my JV-2080 or other production units have that same defect. I never noticed this problem. No matter how much you try, you will not sway my opinion about Roland products.

I am sorry to hear that you have nothing better to do than to crusade against Roland gear. I don't know if I am alone here, but I have never had a problem with sound quality on my Roland gear. I have grown to rely on it.

It sure seems to me that you had to dig deep to find those few people who had the problems you described.

Tell you what, why don't you send me any of your Roland gear, since you obviously have a vendetta against the company. I would be happy to have it.

I do not wish to get into a heated debate on the grunge decay issue, because that is not the original point anyway. Respond how you must, but I have better things to do with my time, and quite frankly, I don't care if you had a problem with Roland. I never had a problem with them, and that's all that counts to me. Now let's make some music.

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 12-29-1999).]

#26038 - 12/30/99 04:57 AM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
syrupdude Offline

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
Funny. The longest post that Arvon copied sure does bear a striking resemblance to his own writing style. Look at the way he does a double return after every sentence or so. And his peculiar way of addressing the post to roland. Notice how the posts seem to choose the same phraseology for "digital grunge" and the fact that several of them keep referring to that same accoustic guitar patch. I think this whole thing is an invention of one guy who scours the net, posting as different people.

Look how defensive he got at the end of his post... and all this over a product he doesn't even own. He's more concerned with appearing "right" than "sane". This guy has definitely flipped the bozo bit. I wonder how much time he spends on this little pursuit of his.

#26039 - 12/30/99 01:52 PM Re: xp30 owners-should I buy this synth?
Arvon45 Offline

Hey Syrup, didnt your doctors tell you that NyQuil should only be taken for a few days?

If you think those posts are all from me, then you are indeed the true conspiracist looney.

You must work for Roland.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online