SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#263472 - 05/18/09 11:28 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As I've said many times, I am in no rush for a new Roland. Mine is working fine, makes me money, and there is nothing available that is better across the board, at any price.

Sure other arrangers got stuff the Roland doesn't have. And the Roland has a lot of VERY important stuff (to me, at least!) that they still have yet to develop. No point making a change if it is a push...

Whatever OS problems are left I can work around, and nobody on any other arranger wants me to come over to their camp, buy a Yamaha or Korg or Ketron and start talking about all the things that are wrong with THEIR arranger! If they want to keep the shortcomings secret, fine by me

I have so many translations and third party stuff to tweak, new styles will not be a problem for years! (It'll take almost that long to audition them all ). In the meantime, there isn't THAT much coming out new for any other arranger that I consider up to their ROM standards, so it's still a push, for me.

I ALMOST find myself in Ian's shoes... happy enough with what I have got, for now. Mind you, that still doesn't preclude me TALKING about what I would like to see, IF Roland get off their fat arses...

#263473 - 05/18/09 11:56 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I ALMOST find myself in Ian's shoes... happy enough with what I have got, for now. Mind you, that still doesn't preclude me TALKING about what I would like to see, IF Roland get off their fat arses...

If the next S-series is not what I want, I'd be more than content to stay with the S900.

I've got over 3000 styles on my HD, a lot of stuff to play around with, and I already am very pleased with the overall instrument.

If, on the next S-series, they upgraded the drawbar organ to T3 specs, that would be the only thing to make me really want to change...otherwise I can live with the rest very easily.

Ian

#263474 - 05/18/09 11:59 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

You wouldn't like the new guitar NTT's? Maybe some new SA2 voices? Those new drums?

How about a Chord Sequencer...?

Come on, Ian.... dream a little!

#263475 - 05/18/09 12:36 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
You wouldn't like the new guitar NTT's? Maybe some new SA2 voices? Those new drums?

How about a Chord Sequencer...?

Come on, Ian.... dream a little!

None of those things are that important, Diki, I've become accustomed to working around the lack of a chord sequencer, and I doubt very much if we'll see one in the near future...and, if we do, it might be on a Korg or perhaps a Yamaha (who never had it) as Roland seems to have dropped it for good.

The guitar NTT are okay as is, and since I do 99% of my style making by swapping parts around, I don't feel it would be that important.

I'd like more SA1...the SA2 do not decay when you hold down sustain pedal...I like to use the sus pedal as a volume fade....I like how Yamaha's panel voices respond to the sustain...the GM/XG voices do not have this characteristic.

I would appreciate a patch hold so there would no glitch when changing, although I have a very good workaround that involves swapping voice 1 and 2 locations for the right hand sounds.

So I'm pretty content, and willing to wait and see.

I put in my contributions to Yamaha Japan, but I'm just a little spoke in a very big wheel, so I really can't say how influential my input would be.

Ian

#263476 - 05/18/09 01:35 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

We are ALL pretty small spokes (except for a certain amphibian, that thinks it's the whole wheel )... but if you don't mind sending your suggestions to Yamaha, what harm is there in discussing it here, either?

The thing is, whatever Yamaha DO put into the next PSR, you will probably find it worth upgrading to. Surely you too aren't in the 'Yamaha's model increases are too incremental' camp too?

#263477 - 05/18/09 01:43 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
We are ALL pretty small spokes (except for a certain amphibian, that thinks it's the whole wheel )... but if you don't mind sending your suggestions to Yamaha, what harm is there in discussing it here, either?

The thing is, whatever Yamaha DO put into the next PSR, you will probably find it worth upgrading to. Surely you too aren't in the 'Yamaha's model increases are too incremental' camp too?

Indeed I am the whole wheel....When I want to go somewhere I hire spokes....

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-18-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263478 - 05/18/09 01:57 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

p

Considering my position, and the fact I signed an NDA, I tend to be a bit guarded with putting information on a public forum, as I'm sure you will understand.

In other words, my innocent "guess" or "wish" could be actually something in the works, and there would "problems" if it was seen on a public site.

As far as the "incremental" changes with Yamaha...they have been doing this sort of thing for years...every so often a big change, and then "enhancements" on the basic platform...Roland used to do it as well, but not so much lately.

I feel Yamaha believe they are on the right path, and who am I to argue?

Mr.Small Spoke, ESQ....remember?

Also, my reasons for buying gear would be a bit different than a home user, and even a pro user...plus I pay less for my stuff.

I also still have some "connections" with Roland, as I used to work for them quite some time ago, and I have sent a request for the "chord sequencer" to several people, good friends, actually, I still stay in touch with....it certainly can't hurt.

Ian

#263479 - 05/18/09 02:29 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Indeed I am the whole wheel....When I want to go somewhere I hire spokes.
[]

Blessed is he who talks in circles, for he shall become a big wheel....

Amen.

#263480 - 05/18/09 02:53 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Blessed is he who talks in circles, for he shall become a big wheel....

Amen.

Sometimes one is a "spoke" for another's benefit, sometimes one hires "spokes" for their own, the wisdom comes with knowing the difference.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-18-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263481 - 05/18/09 03:08 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

Every little helps.

I'm putting together a little jazz act for fun, and it's frustrating to HAVE to use SMF's so I can blow my trombone, when on the G1000, all I had to do was use the Chord Sequencer and stay in style Mode...

What's that about the squeaky wheel getting the grease, anyway?

Didn't realize about the NDA, that explains a lot... mind you, you MIGHT bring it up more often than the basic 'everything's all right, Jack' that you often use

Me, I'd like to see a 76 on the S900's successor (as an option!). That NP30 action ought to work within Yamaha's budget... Oh, and better MIDI implementation. They would sell a LOT more to people trying to integrate them with other arrangers and workstations if that was possible.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online