SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >
Topic Options
#263430 - 05/15/09 01:18 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Nope.., but I still ain't payin that price for a plastic home keyboard S-900 sounds great.. Love the SA voices.., not too fond of the drum kits.., but acceptable. Love the orchestral voices.., good styles, blah blah blah.., but it ain't built like a $1,700 keyboard. Sorry Ian.., I just dont' see how Yamaha can charge that price and build it that way. I'm not saying it'll fall apart in my hands.., but it's not built well enough for my tastes.

Not too fond of the key action, but it's passable. Still.., a little under 2 grand for a plastic home keyboard.., nope ain't buyin it. I still say if Roland can feature pack the Juno-G as they have and build that pupply with solid button contacts and give it a metal panel for less than a grand.., well Yamaha can up their build quality too.

Ian I've had a Juno G and S-900 side by side. The G may have plastic end caps, but the overal feel to the buttons is better IMO.., and the panel is at least metal. Not even comparing sounds either. Just overall build quality.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-15-2009).]

I'm not sure, but I think you want a Honda Accord for the price of a Hyundai Accent. What do you think the s900 should be sold at than $1200, $900, $500. So within the mid-range arranger keyboards there is nothing that satisfies your needs vs. the price that you feel it’s worth. Korg PA500, Ketron XD9, Roland E50/60. You’re complaining about keyboards being expensive for home users. There are other options, s700, s500, pa50, even the entry line of Yamaha or a used upper level arranger.

#263431 - 05/15/09 01:31 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The S900 is an extraordinarily good arranger, in an extraordinarily bad case. There is little to compare it to. Most other good arrangers come in good cases, and bad ones in bad cases.

The car comparison, if you want one, would be Honda making a shoddily constructed car with decent performance, but then charging almost as much for it as a similar performing car of theirs that WAS constructed well... but no cupholders

So, if you want cupholders, you HAVE to buy the shoddy built car. You would feel ripped off as much as I would...

#263432 - 05/15/09 01:43 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well said Diki. The S-900 IS an an extraordinarily good arranger, in an extraordinarily bad case.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263433 - 05/15/09 01:47 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The S900 is an extraordinarily good arranger, in an extraordinarily bad case. There is little to compare it to. Most other good arrangers come in good cases, and bad ones in bad cases.

The car comparison, if you want one, would be Honda making a shoddily constructed car with decent performance, but then charging almost as much for it as a similar performing car of theirs that WAS constructed well... but no cupholders

So, if you want cupholders, you HAVE to buy the shoddy built car. You would feel ripped off as much as I would...

I don't believe so, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't see the quality anyless than PA500, Xd9 or Roland e50/60.

#263434 - 05/15/09 02:16 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
The S900 is an extraordinarily good arranger, in an extraordinarily bad case. There is little to compare it to.
:

You are entitled to you opinion, Diki, even though it is clearly wrong to those of us who actually use an S900.

You are right in part...the S900 is in a league of it's own, and I'm sure Roland would love to have had half the success with the E-50 as Yamaha has with their little gem.

The case is made of plastic...so what...it's very strong, and very light, and probably less expensive to manufacture, so the instrument has a lower price....more affordable....ch ching!

Ya think that Roland would catch on to this concept.but, no, they haven't, and it shows in their sales.

I remember when the E-20 came out...plastic body...lightweight keys around $2500 Cdn...but it smoked everyone else because of it's incredibly warm LA sound and very well done styles....I bought one, and so did a lot of others, and for several years, Roland was on top...no one cared if it was plastic...it could have been made out of pie dough for all anyone cared...Roland's arrangers had raised the bar.

Then Yamaha made the PSR-910/1700/2700 and finally caught up, and with their PSR-8000, they were easily the equal, if not superior to Roland.

The S900 is one of those products that sets another standard, not quite the same way the E-20 did, but it sure is giving everyone else fits when it comes to "bang for the buck".

Plastic schmastic...who cares...the instrument is clearly a winner.

Ian

#263435 - 05/15/09 03:26 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
the instrument is clearly a winner.

As opposed to it's owners.

What you consistently fail to acknowledge is that, while Yamaha are making the PSR, they are also making the MoXS6, very little more expensive, HUGELY more capable and voiced, basic chord following for arps and loops that are radio ready, not nursing home ready...

Now. either the MoXS is wrong, they should make it like the S900, or the S900 is wrong, and should be built like the XS6. But it can't be neither. The S900 is a scaled down T2, sure... but the XS6 is the TOTL Yamaha. Only difference to the XS8 are the keys. In other words, Yamaha sell their XS6 for little more than the S900, but $1500 LESS than a T3. And it is easily comparable to the latter, NOT the S900.

Yamaha's MOTL WS is the MO6, at around $1000. and as such, should be compared to the S900, not the XS6. Construction IS poorer on the MO6, but still not quite down to the S900's level, and it is $600 LESS.

So.... Yamaha are entitled to make a profit, but only from arranger players?

#263436 - 05/15/09 03:39 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
As opposed to it's owners.

Now. either the MoXS is wrong, they should make it like the S900, or the S900 is wrong, and should be built like the XS6. But it can't be neither. :

Diki,

Smileys don't change words.

Nastiness is still nasty, even if followed by a grin.

Now, to answer your question; yes, they can have it both ways.

It's clearly their prerogative, and it seems to be working very, very well, according to sales and owner satisfaction of both lines.

Ian

#263437 - 05/15/09 08:02 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:

KingFrog.., Let Yamaha start putting plastic cases on their top end synths and watch how fast people start complaining about how easily it is to damage them on the road. Sure.., plastic does have a great benefit.., and that's a decrease in weight.., but put a platic shell on a synth that costs over $3,000 and consumers will go nuts. I don't see metal pro keyboards trading for plastic anytime soon. Maybe if the plastic was Kev. inforced
[/B]

I agree and I said I yearn for the day when Metal is not a selling point. I don;t see any advantage to iron cases. I am sure shock transmission is not absorbed as well as with a plastic case. So the whole "protection" thing escapes me. Now if they want to claim less noise due to better grounding....I might buy that. The PSR900 is way over priced as far as I am concerned because if nothing else it's key bed is horrific (and this from a self taught player) In that regard Yamaha is failing their customers, But the keyboard operation and sonic quality easily overcomes the limitations of the keybed....

I have never had a customer complain about not having a heavy metal case though.....In fact quite the opposite. they are pleasantly surprised at how light the board is.!!!
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263438 - 05/15/09 08:17 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
The PSR900 is way over priced as far as I am concerned because if nothing else it's key bed is horrific (and this from a self taught player) In that regard Yamaha is failing their customers, But the keyboard operation and sonic quality easily overcomes the limitations of the keybed....

Strange, but I've never had a PSR-S900 customer complain about the keybed...not one.

Seems they expected the action to be light and fast, and different than the Tyros2/3, and the same as the previous PSR-3000.

The original Tyros' weakness was it's keybed, which I felt was substandard for the price, and the FSX keybed on the T2/3 was a nice and needed improvement.

The only complaint I've ever received about the S900 was it's screen angle...and, come to think of it, there was one guy who thought the DSP/Var buttons should be on the left instead of the right...I use a foot-switch, so it doesn't matter to me, but I could see his point.

These are only small details, and there were no complaints about the S900 (or Tyros) being made of plastic...as Froggy says, they were pleased it was so light.

Ian

#263439 - 05/16/09 01:34 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Offline

If you feel that the Tyros keybed was substandard for it's price, how come you don't feel the same way when WS's at close to equivalent prices by the same manufacturer are noticeably better...?

And don't spin me, Ian. You are 'losers' for having 'lost' the inclusion of a decent quality keyboard for the price you paid. No need to find insult, old chum. Ever lost your keys? Did it make you a 'loser'? English is such a slippery language. You can read anything into it you want, if you try hard enough, I guess...

Just tell me, plain and simple, no dodging... would you COMPLAIN if Yamaha upped the build quality to the equivalent of it's WS line? Of course not... or that would make you a 'whiner', too

(BTW, do I really have to start riding you for hardly veiled insults like that one you dished out too, or can we just cut each other a little slack? )

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online