SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#26399 - 04/06/01 07:28 AM Re: Roland should..
Bungle Offline

Loc: Den Haag, The Netherlands
Well, the webpresence of xp-30 owners and the online documentation of the xp-30 is still very low. XP-30 owners haven't really been able to encounter one another and build a proper network yet. remember: the network is more than the sum of all it's members.
I also feel that xp-30 have a somewhat different standard compared to other super-jv owners since we've got those 3 boards loaded with waveforms included. We could do lots more with this.

#26400 - 04/06/01 10:20 AM Re: Roland should..
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
XP30 owners--and a pretty large number of them at that--have from the very outset been well represented on the original JV/XP mailing list (see lilchips.com for details). In fact, I *left* that list because after a while the owners of the older series had largely figured out their instruments, and the newer postings were so often from new XP30 owners. That the XP30 has certain expansion boards built-in shouldn't affect interchange between owners of the various instruments any more than it affects owners with the same (or different) boards installed on the earlier series.

It sounds as if you're focusing largely on not being able to find patches--but in that sense, even earlier series owners don't exchange all *that* many patches. There are already so many available. For example, have you already downloaded and auditioned the four or five banks or preset patches from the older JV1000? That's a lot of patches in itself.

What happened on that list was basically that people struggled for a couple of years to get to know the instruments, exchanged some patches, posted some patch banks, learned how to program and tweak patches, and went about making music. When I left the group, most of the questions involved interfacing the XP30 (or earlier instruments) with various computer setups.

There are *so* many patches available for these instruments, and *so* many options for tweaking them, I think people generally find what they want, program presets or patches they find on the net, or just tweak presets (as I generally do; I'm not really a programmer) for their music. Most of that kind of thing (individual patches tweaked for a certain song) never gets posted or uploaded anywhere. The thinking is probably: Why bring sand to the beach?

I have never expected an infinite number of patches to be availabe for *any* instrument; there is already so much exchange and so many patches available.

#26401 - 04/06/01 10:27 AM Re: Roland should..
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Bungle: I just checked your earlier post: So you *do* already have tons of patches. Great. As for the XP30 community not really having much of a presence "yet": Many are on the JV/XP list, and--quite frankly--let's face it, the XP30 has been out a long time now and is already no longer really part of Roland's flagship synths. BTW: I don't know of any Roland-specific book on programming either, though I think some people from the JV/XP list posted some tutorials at someone's site once upon a time (maybe Ben Tubb's site). Anyway: good luck.

#26402 - 06/24/01 10:22 AM Re: Roland should..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeratul:
This matter bugs me ever since I got full access to the Internet.Roland(unlike Korg)doesn't seem to care much for the developement of patches and banks for their line of synths,leaving the programming and tweaking to the user.I am not a sound designer,I am a composer.So what am I supposed to do if I need a lot of "etherical" pads and "fantasy" effects for my new age ambiental music?Turn to Korg who excels in this area?I would not as I am a constant Roland user,since the times of my first D20 and going through XP50,XP60 and my current XP30.From all the browsing on the web all I got was 32 patches for XP30,and that was on a scandinavian(as I remember)Roland site.You will say it is not their interest to develop patches since they need to promote the expansion boards.This may be so ,but I think it should be their duty to offer more to the customer who invested in their products and chose Roland over some other brand.And this wouldn't be so hard anyway,putting a few sound designers to a couple of hours of work extra a day.I feel that whith the exceptional sound quality of the samples much more could be done that the presets even on the expansion boards.Shouldn't Roland do this?

#26403 - 06/24/01 10:27 AM Re: Roland should..
Anonymous
Unregistered

what are you to lazy to "tweak" your own sounds. i think it is more creative to make youre own souns i have a xp80 and i only use
my special for my needs tweakt sounds.
by the way
i also have a korg ms2000 and i can tell you that the douwnloadeble preset sounds stink
STARKA

#26404 - 08/09/01 07:18 PM Re: Roland should..
Dani Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi

I don't understand why everybody seems to be so upset about Zeratuls opinion- meaning that Roland should offer their customers a bigger choice of pre-programmed Patches to the JV/XP synths.
Is there something wrong with that?

Some people may not be interested in or able to program it; others perhaps don't want to throw away their lifes doing it, and just want to play and make some music. So I think I can respect his opinion!

On the other hand I know that it's lots of fun programming new sounds exactly the way you want them to be.
I myself have programmed (and reprogrammed) quite a lot, for instance the bad original bass sounds with no power at the lower register, and the results were real good.
There's no doubt that the JV/XPs really have got lots of potential for programming.

So I have to agree that there should be a possibility of getting or buying some new Patches from Roland -specially for those who don't want to do the programming themselves, but still want newer and better sounds to a product they have payed for (without having to buy the expansion cards). Why not?

By the way...It's strange that I have never seen any comments (or complaints) about the 96 preset Performances of the JV/XP synths!

Has anybody noticed how completely useless and unusable these Performances are for live playing?!
Let me tell you this: I can spend hours playing on a Korg Triton using just one of its amazing sounding Combis (Combi= Performance in Roland). And there are hundreds of them!
On the other hand I have had JV/XP synths now for six years and I have NEVER used any of the preset Performances for playing!!

The JV/XPs has great Patch sounds, so for me it is hard to understand why Roland hasn't included one single good (or at least decent) playable Performance in them.

Can this be because Roland don't want people to play with Layered Performances -so we don't notice much about the bad timing on the JV/XP sound modules?!
Or has anyone any other explanation?

Dani

#26405 - 08/09/01 09:49 PM Re: Roland should..
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I agree! The performances are of little use other than sequencing. They could get rid of most of them if you ask me. 9 times out of 10 I'll play in patch mode. If you want good realtime live performances, you'll have to create them yourself.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online