SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26612 - 12/09/01 03:40 AM Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
ignorant virgin Offline

Loc: phoenix, az, usa
Can the quantize correct very slight discrepancies from realtime rhythm pattern entry? When I try either pre-or post- recording quantize, I don't hear any difference. Maybe I'm applying it wrong.
What would be the optimum type and settings to correct slight errors?
Am I stuck with this? Do I have to resort to step-writing? (ugh...)
Can I write a basic pattern in Step, then embellish the same pattern in Realtime?

#26613 - 11/09/01 06:33 PM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Um . . . I'm glad to help when I can, but believe me, there are _others_ on this forum who just flat out know more or *different* stuff than I do.

I'll try with this one, though I compose rhythm patterns a little differently than most people.

Your questions:

"Maybe I'm applying it wrong."

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing without sitting there with you. Remember, too, that there are 3 different kinds of quantize. Read about the types in the manual and make sure you're using the most appropriate one for your problem. [I've never used Groove Quantize even once; I have no clue about that. ]

"What would be the optimum type and settings to correct slight errors?"

Without knowing what kind of rhythm track you're working on, I would guess Grid Quantize.

If you use Grid Quantize, the two most important settings are (1) Resolution and (2) Strength. Read about those in the manual.

(1) Your "slight discrepancies" may be missing the Resolution. The smaller note (e.g., an eighth note is smaller than a quarter) may not "jerk" the discrepant note far enough to where you want it; it may only "jerk" it to the next eighth note position in the measure, and that may not be far enough for you. Your Resolution is too small. Try the next resolution up, in this case a quarter note. Or just the next resolution up from where you were.

(2) The Strength may also not be set high enough. Setting it to %50 will only "jerk" your discrepant note half the distance to whatever Resolution you set. 100% will put it right on the next closest (forward) note position of that resolution, e.g., right smack dab on the next eighth note position.

If you're unsure you're hearing any change, tweak those two values. If you're still unsure, do a quantize edit, then look at the note(s) in microscope mode: Are they were they were before? Did they move forward? By how much? Are they right on the next note position set by your resolution (e.g., right on the next eighth-note position?)

Remember also that you can preview the result while quantizing. See the manual.

If they haven't moved, you need a resolution up higher than the note value you chose, or a strength higher (or closer to 100%).

Also, make sure you are Setting your Note Range to include the notes you want, or rather: to include *only* the notes you want. If you don't include them in the Note Range, they won't be quantized. If you include *every* note in your pattern, every note will get quantized. Be careful.

After fooling with Grid Quantize a while, esp. at 100% strength, you'll get to know the clocks/ticks at which certain note positions occur, e.g., eighth notes quantize at 100% to ticks 24, 48, 72, and 96, etc.

You can then easily check how far your discrepant notes have moved.

Good luck. It's still a bit difficult to know at a (cyber) distance just what you are doing.

#26614 - 12/10/01 07:22 AM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
ignorant virgin Offline

Thanks. It works! I wish the manual put it as plain and simple as your description.

Okay, now if anyone else has any tips, please chime in! Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by dnarkosis:
Um . . . I'm glad to help when I can, but believe me, there are _others_ on this forum who just flat out know more or *different* stuff than I do.

I'll try with this one, though I compose rhythm patterns a little differently than most people.

Your questions:

"Maybe I'm applying it wrong."

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing without sitting there with you. Remember, too, that there are 3 different kinds of quantize. Read about the types in the manual and make sure you're using the most appropriate one for your problem. [I've never used Groove Quantize even once; I have no clue about that. ]

"What would be the optimum type and settings to correct slight errors?"

Without knowing what kind of rhythm track you're working on, I would guess Grid Quantize.

If you use Grid Quantize, the two most important settings are (1) Resolution and (2) Strength. Read about those in the manual.

(1) Your "slight discrepancies" may be missing the Resolution. The smaller note (e.g., an eighth note is smaller than a quarter) may not "jerk" the discrepant note far enough to where you want it; it may only "jerk" it to the next eighth note position in the measure, and that may not be far enough for you. Your Resolution is too small. Try the next resolution up, in this case a quarter note. Or just the next resolution up from where you were.

(2) The Strength may also not be set high enough. Setting it to %50 will only "jerk" your discrepant note half the distance to whatever Resolution you set. 100% will put it right on the next closest (forward) note position of that resolution, e.g., right smack dab on the next eighth note position.

If you're unsure you're hearing any change, tweak those two values. If you're still unsure, do a quantize edit, then look at the note(s) in microscope mode: Are they were they were before? Did they move forward? By how much? Are they right on the next note position set by your resolution (e.g., right on the next eighth-note position?)

Remember also that you can preview the result while quantizing. See the manual.

If they haven't moved, you need a resolution up higher than the note value you chose, or a strength higher (or closer to 100%).

Also, make sure you are Setting your Note Range to include the notes you want, or rather: to include *only* the notes you want. If you don't include them in the Note Range, they won't be quantized. If you include *every* note in your pattern, every note will get quantized. Be careful.

After fooling with Grid Quantize a while, esp. at 100% strength, you'll get to know the clocks/ticks at which certain note positions occur, e.g., eighth notes quantize at 100% to ticks 24, 48, 72, and 96, etc.

You can then easily check how far your discrepant notes have moved.

Good luck. It's still a bit difficult to know at a (cyber) distance just what you are doing.

#26615 - 12/10/01 07:55 AM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
dnarkosis Offline

Oops: I made an error:

"eighth notes quantize at 100% to ticks 24, 48, 72, and 96, etc."

Obviously this is wrong. Eighth notes quantize at 100% to ticks 1, 24, 48, and 72, since (doh) they start theoretically on the downbeat.

See how easy it is to slip? And before you know it, your whole pattern is off in outer space . . .

But it is helpful to learn some of these values (e.g., also for swing triplets), since when you check stuff in microscope mode you have a better sense for where the notes are "lying" in the measure.

#26616 - 12/11/01 04:37 AM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
Hi

I think dnarkosis has done an excellent job in explaining the quantize-feature. I just have two or three minor comments:

The Groove-quantize works fine, but the result is often a little hard to predict, so you just have to try. If you use the try-and-fail method, you will get it right.

The "undo"-function on the quantize-function is brilliant. Using this you can try different settings for quantizing, and remove it if you don't like it. The important point is that you loose this advantage if you use quantize during recording. Post-recording quantize is simply best for most situations.

Remember that the XPs have a 96 ppqn sequencer. This means that it has 96 clock pulses (ticks) per quarter note. If you remember that, the rest should be obvious..

Stig

#26617 - 12/11/01 02:38 PM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
ignorant virgin Offline

Thanks stigf! I have to tell you though, I don't completely follow. Sequencing is totally new for me, and I'm not too far along.
I'm writing drum patterns in real-time w/o quantize. When I'm way off, I just erase and re-record while in the process. However, when I notice later, that a kick or something is a hair off, I'm hoping quantize can help me correct. So, it sounds like I should go in and specify that particular note to target with quantize, within the particular pattern, correct?
I don't follow your reference to the XP's 96 ppqn. And you emphasize the importance. How do I apply this info? (sorry, bare with me)

Quote:
Originally posted by stigf:
Hi

I think dnarkosis has done an excellent job in explaining the quantize-feature. I just have two or three minor comments:

The Groove-quantize works fine, but the result is often a little hard to predict, so you just have to try. If you use the try-and-fail method, you will get it right.

The "undo"-function on the quantize-function is brilliant. Using this you can try different settings for quantizing, and remove it if you don't like it. The important point is that you loose this advantage if you use quantize during recording. Post-recording quantize is simply best for most situations.

Remember that the XPs have a 96 ppqn sequencer. This means that it has 96 clock pulses (ticks) per quarter note. If you remember that, the rest should be obvious..

Stig

#26618 - 12/11/01 11:29 PM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
Hi

Yes, you can quantize single note or selection of notes. You can say that you want all Cs to be quantized, or you can quantize only one measure.

Knowing that the sequencer is 96ppqn is often very useful. I have a couple of examples: First, when you quantize something, you kvow that it will be placed on clock-ticks 24, 48, 72 etc as dnarkosis said. When you use the Microscope-mode, you get to see all MIDI-events in the sequencer, and they are placed by measure, beat and clock tick. One other situation where it comes handy to know about this, is when setting up effects. Many of the effects use this clock-tick as a reference, so you can have a delay that is exactly 1/2 measure etc.

It is helpful to know that the sequencer works in this way, because you will meet the clock-reference when using sequencer, effects, programming patches etc.

Hope this got a bit clearer now?

Stig

#26619 - 12/12/01 06:58 AM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
dnarkosis Offline

I would add that especially when you have a dense sequence, i.e., lots of events firing off simultaneously, microscope mode enables you to see, visually, whether events are piling up on a particular "tick" or "clock."

Tick #1 is a good example, though any of the eighth-note or triplet values are the same:

In dense sequences, those ticks can get "glutted" with events, leading to MIDI "slop" or latency problems.

I generally put *some* of the rhythm instruments on tick 1, maybe a regular instrument (e.g., strings) on tick 2, the bass on tick 3 (or even 4 if it's an acoustic bass), maybe another rhythm instrument back on tick 2 if things don't look too crowded, and so on. You can use the clock resolution (the 96 ticks in each beat) to spread things out like that, (1) preventing MIDI slop and note fallout (because of polyphony issues or processor overload) and (2) making your composition sound a bit "fuller", since events are note firing off all on the same tick. Believe me, you won't notice the lag time between ticks 1 and 4 or even 1 and 5 if you distribute the instruments with some forethought.

You can automate all this by quantizing first and then using Edit 11 Shift Clock, e.g., to move all your snare hits 1 or 2 ticks forward from all the bass hits, or for moving all the string parts 1 tick forward, etc. Works great.

#26620 - 12/12/01 07:04 AM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
dnarkosis Offline

Sorry, typo:

"since events are NOT firing off all on the same tick"

Ign.Virg. also asked:

"when I notice later, that a kick or something is a hair off, I'm hoping quantize can help me correct. So, it sounds like I should go in and specify that particular note to target with quantize, within the particular pattern, correct?"

Yes. You can specify any note in your pattern and quantize it *any* distance (=number of ticks/clocks) you want. Remember, bias and resolution are where you tell the sequencer "move this note this many ticks."

#26621 - 12/12/01 04:53 PM Re: Quantize rhythm patterns? (Help? - dnarkosis?)
StringsMan Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO USA
Some great tips! Are there any ideas on quantizing drum fills? Also, for the novice is it better to have the quantize function on during recording? I think I could create some good music if the rhythm didn't consume all my time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online