SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267314 - 07/08/09 07:15 AM Re: Have any of you.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I always check out the venue before agreeing to work there. Recently, I got an offer from a huge indoor/outdoor complex. There was a nice dining room, a large dance area on the bottom floor, a large outdoor patio and a huge outdoor bar, stage and game area (some kind of bean-bag toss and volleyball).

They wanted me in the dining room in the winters and on the patio and on a 60 person boat they're outfitting as a dinner cruise boat.

Problem was, the dining room had continuous Buffet music, which I don't do, The food was awful and the customers were country music fans.

I ran like the wind, even though the contract was extended and generous.

That just wouldn't have worked out, and the pay was considerably less than what private parties pay.

It just wasn't for me, but I appreciated the offer. The owner has seen an operation in St. Louis with a dining room piano player, and customers recommended me.

That was nice of them.

Russ

#267315 - 07/08/09 09:50 AM Re: Have any of you.....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I seldom, if EVER, have a problem on gigs from this agent BUT I learned a loooooooooong time ago to ALWAYS make personal contact with the client so that there is no misunderstanding about what is expected ...
As for "DJ"ing tunes I don't play, well I usually ONLY do that when working a party that wants certain 'line dances' i.e. the Cha Cha Slide, and I tell them in advance that's what I will be doing ... and I don't think the client in this situation would have been happy with a "DJ" performance when they were looking for LIVE music ...
It's tough enough for musicians nowadays ... I'm not going to 'promote' "DJ"ing if I can help it ...
t.

#267316 - 07/08/09 12:08 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As far as many clients are concerned, nowadays (especially the younger ones), a DJ and a musician ARE both 'live music'!

I guess that is to distinguish it from them just hooking up their own iPod's and spinning what they feel like.

Personally, I make sure the client (not the agent!) knows EXACTLY what I do (and don't do) before every single gig. I don't need the work so bad that I am prepared to stand by a laptop and DJ... I actually like PLAYING more than I like money...

#267317 - 07/08/09 02:13 PM Re: Have any of you.....
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I actually like PLAYING more than I like money...

THAT, and not wanting to be in an uncomfortable position, is why I did not take the gig ...
t.

#267318 - 07/08/09 05:41 PM Re: Have any of you.....
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I find it hard to believe some can play ALL venues.

Believe Zuki, believe.....

For example, we played an Old time Venue last night, average age of the patrons - 55 at least.
This Friday it will be MOR (50's 60's 70's, 80's, 90's) and up to the minute Top 40/RnB.

Guys, I'm not trying to be a Wise Ass, (you know me by now I think), I'm just saying it CAN be done.

Many of you on the boards want to specialize though, and I completely understand that. More power to you.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267319 - 07/08/09 07:40 PM Re: Have any of you.....
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Believe Zuki, believe.....

For example, we played an Old time Venue last night, average age of the patrons - 55 at least.
This Friday it will be MOR (50's 60's 70's, 80's, 90's) and up to the minute Top 40/RnB.

Guys, I'm not trying to be a Wise Ass, (you know me by now I think), I'm just saying it CAN be done.

Many of you on the boards want to specialize though, and I completely understand that. More power to you.

Perhaps one difference is in your saying "we", and I take that to mean a group of you or a band ... I definitely think it is far easier for a 'band' to have a mix of people who each can perform various genres, making 'the whole greater than the sum of its parts' and being able to perform well for different types of audiences ....
Having a "one man band" attempt that is a whole other matter ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-08-2009).]

#267320 - 07/08/09 08:33 PM Re: Have any of you.....
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:

OH NO...55! Was music even invented in their day????

Hellboy...c'mon down to Florida...and find out how young 55 really is.

Seriously, most pro musicians play to a wide variety of ages & social economic groups with a vast diversity of musical tastes. I don't look down on any one of them...but rather try to satisfy their expectations. If I don't feel right for the gig...I politely turn it down.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-08-2009).]

#267321 - 07/08/09 08:45 PM Re: Have any of you.....
hellboy44 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Perhaps one difference is in your saying "we", and I take that to mean a group of you or a band ...
[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-08-2009).]

No Tony, actually that's a Duo (my wife and myself) which is something to take into account agreed, but that speaks more to the fact that we can do a wider variety of Male AND Female songs, not the style (or even era) of songs per se.

Ya know it's funny, I find myself singing (and playing) 100% of the time as we back each other up with lead or harmony or very often dual vocal renditions of songs.
That is, I sing about as much on a duo gig as I have when I have soloed in the past...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267322 - 07/08/09 08:54 PM Re: Have any of you.....
hellboy44 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
OH NO...55! Was music even invented in their day????

Hellboy...c'mon down to Florida...and find out how young 55 really is.

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-08-2009).]

Lol, yeah Eddie, I perhaps should have said the YOUNGEST was 55 last night (being kind) not an "average age" - truthfully many of them were in their 60's, 70's and (I suspect a few 80/90+ - I didn't ask, to be polite... ) more to the point, the musical Program is what we call a "60/40 dance" which is a strict Old Time Dance Program with specific sequenced and partner dancing (Swing Waltz, Oxford Waltz, Evening 3 Step, Canadian 3 Step, Pride of Erin, Gypsy Tap etc etc etc) with "Mixed" dancing thrown in at specific times.

We find it a very exacting schedule and form of performance, as the songs have to go to a certain number of bars and we have to (usually) vocally count the dancers in at the beginning of a vocal start so the sequence can be started (and stopped) at the right time.

We also play a musical game called a "Monte Carlo" (you guys know it?)

It's all fun, but certainly very different to our normal gigs.

So how's the Weather in Florida this time of year?....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267323 - 07/08/09 11:54 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hotter than Hell (and far more humid!)

Seriously, I have a whole new outlook on Sinning... I don't think I have to worry any more, because I have been to Hell, and apparently, I can get a gig there!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online