SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#267891 - 07/22/09 03:34 AM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Rory,
as I have commented before in some occasions, I think you reside in a very narrow slice of the top list of performers I have heard. I finally understand that talent is something you feel, and I felt it.

Having said that, I feel obliged to remind you that:

1) you suck,
2) this is an arranger forum

Is that better now?
Theodore

#267892 - 07/22/09 08:55 AM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have just spoken with the Ketron people in Italy, and they assure me that the Audya will make me sound "just like Rory".
At least I think that's what they said, since I don't speak Italian.
BTW, Rory, you remind me of a close friend, Richard Wells, who has since moved away. He also can not see, nor could his two brothers. Until I saw the clip of Rory, I thought they were the most talented performers I'd ever seen. My friend Richard plays keys, harmonica, sax, flute, clarinet, guitar and BAGPIPES.
Also sings VERY much like Rory.
His brother Talmadge excels on guitar and keyboard and sings great. The third brother, Charles is equally talented but I have seen him much less.
They all have perfect pitch. I used to try to fool Richard by just playing a random dischord and he could instantly tell me every note I hit.
Richard decided some years ago to dedicate his music to his church ministry and will not play in bars any more. There are some very blessed congregations now!
I suppose when you are missing your sight, you must develop the other senses to compensate. My hat is off to you Rory, as it has always been to the Wells brothers.
DonM

#267893 - 07/22/09 09:43 AM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
That is an incredible performance.
Tks very much Russ for sharing.
Regards from Brazil
Chico

#267894 - 07/22/09 11:55 AM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
... Come on, somebody's got to tell me I suck, just to restore some normalcy and make sure my humility stays in check. ....

Brother Rory, I'll just wait until our paths cross on some stage somewhere.

And, of course, I'll do my darndest to chop yer head.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Straightahead,

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#267895 - 07/22/09 12:10 PM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I am disappointed that Rory mentions all those instruments plus pizza and belches but nothing about the accordion.
Rory,
I'm still waiting for Jeremy's CD using the Arpeggio - please mention that fact to him when you speak to him next.
Ciao,
Jerry

#267896 - 07/22/09 12:25 PM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
That flat-top playing style really allows him to do some things that sound so impressive. Thanks, Diki... for sending us the link. Sounds like George Van Epps and Andres Segovia rolled into one instrument. I can see why Russ was so excited. Thanks, guys. A really enjoyable performance.

Dave Rice
http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice

#267897 - 07/22/09 01:31 PM Re: A Fabulous visit With Rory...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Lol, I created my profile back in what, 2002? Forgot to mention accordion then. Actually, I did a lot of accordion as a kid, and then all but stopped laying it in my late teens through most of my 20's. Though I'd pull it out from time to time just to remember how it worked. Then, very ironically, when I moved to Nashville I started getting work as an accordionist. I began playing a few songs per gig on accordion with the Gypsy Hombres, and next thing you know I'm getting people asking me to do sessions and gigs exclusively on acordion. One never knows how things are gonna go. I've rediscovered the fun of the accordion again. Though I never really lost it, just wasn't playing any music where it fit there for a few years.

Jerry, your Arpeggio definitely found a good home with Jeremy. e's a very good player. The album he produced does have quite a bit of accordion in it, but mostly as just pad/texture, not much feature. I've since got myself a pretty nice excelsior; not as nice as the arpeggio, doesn't have the mute. But, it does have midi, and it has a beautiful mussette, which is what I was really after. But Jeremy is really proud of the arpeggio; and it is being used often, by a very able player.
I'll tell him to send you some music from that album.
Best,
Rory

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online