SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273004 - 10/04/09 06:57 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Nice job, chas. A successful venture, methinks.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

#273005 - 10/04/09 07:18 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hi Ian, you touched on a couple of things; the SA Sax for instance. Yep, no question it sounds better than the Korg sax but therein lies the rub. I've found that (for me) the closer the board comes to the real thing, the more it exposes your emulation technique. In other words, I find the Korg sax more forgiving...plus, I sort of like the 'smokey' sound for this type of tune. Of course you're correct about the attack on every note (Korg) being a dead giveaway but I try to use touch dynamics to mitigate that somewhat. Of course, you'll never fool a sax player with either the korg or yammy . The other thing you mentioned; the beat. Yeah, that's what I think I like most about the Korg. I just think their drums (patterns and sound) are the funkiest out there. I think for midi drums, they're hard to beat. The Roland drums (from my SonicCell or Fantom G7) aren't too shabby, either. I just did a quickie recording of Monk's 'round midnight (I was chasing Diki's G70 piano sound) that shows them in a pretty good light. I'll post it sometime. I haven't heard the Audya's drums but the instrument is too expensive for me just for drums, and frankly, I don't like Ketron styles. Just the type of music I like, I think. For some types of music, it's probably the best out there.

How is the weather up there? Have you bundled in for winter yet? If it gets too cold, you can always go visit your alter ego, Diki, in sunny Florida . Anyhoo, take care of your health and stop spending money on all those Bosi (I don't think DonM knew what he was doing when he unleashed (coined) that word .

chas

#273006 - 10/04/09 08:55 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
It obviously needs some compression, an area most of us know the least about. basic recording techniques . I want to know that technique that record companies use to make recordings sound good on anything from monster sound systems to clock radios. If anybody knows how they do that, please share.
chas

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

#273007 - 10/04/09 09:23 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good one Chas! Well done!
I play this song for one guy who always thinks it's worth a hundred. He'd probably give you two!
DonM

#273008 - 10/04/09 04:20 PM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Chas: I like your laid back bluesy playing approach. Good stuff. - Scott

#273009 - 10/04/09 04:52 PM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
My apologies for not having responded earlier, Chas.

I really enjoyed that.

Don't listen to Don. That guy actually pays five times as much but Don collects 300 dollars finders fee.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#273010 - 10/04/09 06:09 PM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... this sounds really nice ...

One of the great things about listening to other 'Zoners' play, is that it gives me new ideas for playing ...

thnx, chas ...

t.

#273011 - 10/05/09 08:45 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My old friend, Winston Walls played this tune often on a "dirty" old B-3. Would love to hear you rip this one on your C-1.

Played it lots of times with Winston, but things are a little "fuzzy" from back then.

GOOD JOB!

See you soon.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-05-2009).]

#273012 - 10/05/09 10:19 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I've found that (for me) the closer the board comes to the real thing, the more it exposes your emulation technique. In other words, I find the Korg sax more forgiving...
How is the weather up there? Have you bundled in for winter yet? If it gets too cold, you can always go visit your alter ego, Diki, in sunny Florida . Anyhoo, take care of your health and stop spending money on all those Bosi (I don't think DonM knew what he was doing when he unleashed (coined) that word .

chas

I agree, Chas...I'm no expert at mimicing Sax on a keyboard, and even though I can play the real thing fairly well, I probably do better with a keyboard...if I'm to be really critical.

I think why I like the SA Sax, is that it responds so well to legato and technique, and I don't need to use the wheel as much to make it sound good, to my ears, at least.

I doubt if I'd fool a real player, but, for me, the idea is to have that extra color to work with, rather than just piano or organ, instruments that are more familiar to play.

When someone is watching me play, they know it's a keyboard, and I'm trying to imitate a Sax...with recording, although I doubt I'd fool a real player, the ears don't have the eyes along to absorb the music(some people hear with their eyes) and it may fool a non-musician, although I can't really say my technique is that good.

Google Cape Breton Island and you'll see where I live...voted one of the most beautiful islands in the world, by many tourist magazines.

I live in a small ex-coal mining town, called Glace Bay (Ice Bay in English), I can see the ocean from my window.

I love it here, and I love the seasons...the leaves are just beginning to change color, and my girlfriend and I are going to do a trip around the Cabot Trail, which is mountainous, and just gorgeous in the Fall.

Weather is +30 Centigrade in the Summer, and -30 Centigrade in the Winter...never a dull moment.

I don't think I would like to have the same basic weather all year 'round, so I'm pretty content being a Canuck and a "Caper".

#273013 - 10/05/09 11:33 AM Re: Experimenting - blues w/hip hop beat
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Chas,

Very well done !!!

I don't know what the people complaint about the sax. I think it sound great.
When I grow-up I want to play like you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online