SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27707 - 05/29/00 01:09 PM SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
epu Offline

I've heard rumors that Roland will be releasing two more expansion board to up the ante to 20 being available. A freind who used to work at a music shop said that one will be oriented towards sampler equivalent Guitar and Drum sounds, sort of a continuation to the SRJV-10 Bass & Drums expansion. Can anyone varify this? This would certainly be nice.

Besides this, anyone know which board has the best sounding guitars? I'm thinking of selling my SC880 which has some of the best guitars on any Roland board, even their new XV units. Thanks.

The Infamous EPU.

#27708 - 06/02/00 06:03 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Epu- If this is true (about the guitar and drums board) then I will 1st in line to get one!!!! I've wanted Roland to bring out a guitar orientated board for ages!

I wander what the other new board would be. Hopefully one dedicated towards solo and ensemble brass and woodwind sounds (such as hot sounding saxes and the like).

Hmmm- Here I am saying- after the XV3080, that will be my last synthe purchase???? Yeah right! That 'll be the day.

#27709 - 06/03/00 08:05 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi all,

I went to a Roland clinic featuring Scott Wilkie demoing the 3080 last night. I asked if he heard anything as far as what SRX boards are in development, and he had no 'official' info as far as what is in the works. He said he's kinda out of the loop on that side of the business.

However, he said there's been talk about a dedicated SRX guitar board, and possibly brass/horns. We'll see....

BTW, he had nothing definitive on the XV-5080 release date, thinking within a month or so.

Regards,
Christopher

#27710 - 06/03/00 05:15 PM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
epu Offline

Well, I hope that all of this stuff is true. If a Guitar & Drums board comes out, I WILL be the first one to get it.

From the rumors I heard here in NY, the board will compliment the Bass&Drums board, much in the same way that the Orchestral II compliments the Orchestral.

With 16MB dedicated just to Guitars and Drums, this would be sure to be a best seller.

The Infamous EPU.

#27711 - 06/04/00 12:20 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
Korgasm Offline

I'm just wandering whether this guitar and drums board will feature both acoustic and electric samples- I hope so. Also dedicated 'guitar fx' noises for more realism. Yes I will definetly keep a space free in my XV3080 for this board! The other free space will probably go to the Orchestral 11 board.

Who has tried either the country or the latin boards????? Any comments would be appreciated!! Cheers.

#27712 - 06/04/00 10:42 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Quote:
Originally posted by Korgasm:
I'm just wandering whether this guitar and drums board will feature both acoustic and electric samples- I hope so. Also dedicated 'guitar fx' noises for more realism.

Hi all,

The cool thing about the 5080 is that it will have COSM effects: this is the kind of sound and effects modeling that has had the drummers and guitarists buzzing about their Roland V-Drums and guitar effects boxes. With the 5080, it is now keybaordist's turn.

The upshot is that you'd be able to emulate different guitar amps and effects, even though you might be using a fairly clean unprocessed electric guitar waveform (tele, strat, etc).

By the way, the 3080 has some great saxes (soprano comes to mind) using the legato feature. Sounds very convincing, much more than any synth I've heard.

Regards,
Christopher

#27713 - 06/04/00 10:27 PM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
Korgasm Offline

Unfortunately, the XV3080 lacks the extra COSM effects of the XV5080. Oh Well, I suppose, it's a fair bit cheaper and we can't have everything!!

I hope Roland continue to support the older SRJV series of expansion cards because even though the XV's are now the latest thing to replace the older JV's and XP's, many people will no doubt still be using the older units (like myself!) and the XV's also accept these cards. Yes, it would be nice of Roland to supply a dedicated SRJV piano card in much the same vain as the SRX card. No doubt it wouldn't quite be up to the SRX board's standard (8mb as opposed to 64mb!!) but it would still crap all over the plain vanilla acoustic piano's found in the JV's factory presets.

#27714 - 06/05/00 05:47 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
epu Offline

Let us please remember that if you are all going to say that the XV series comes with 64MB of ROM, you all have to say that the XP's come with 16MB ROM. Remember that both the XP's and XV's use RDAC compression and have to be converted to "Linear-Format" to accurately express the amount of memory that they contain.

The Infamous EPU.

#27715 - 06/06/00 08:59 AM Re: SRJV-19 Guitars & Drum Expansion Board?? - Check This Out!
Elston Offline

Really! Man, I've got to give it to Roland! They know how to keep their customers very happy! I would have never thought that back in '92 that the amount of boards released would ever reach this amount.

I could really go for that guitar board. I've come up with some really good guitar patches of my own, but the expansion board's guitar sounds aren't as great as the bass sounds on the Bass & Drums board.

If this Guitars & Drums board comes out, it'll be at the top of my wish list.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online