Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#279383 - 01/16/10 03:57 PM Re: Ventilator Rotory With G70
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
True stereo is one of the biggest problems with Leslie sims, especially built-ins... Many do not offer a stereo WIDTH parameter (only the G70 MFX VK sim has that, the HB section has no controls at all), and if you play out live with your speakers say 20' apart, the Leslie is 20' wide too. Unrealistic. Fine for the 3' separated internal speakers, but a 20' wide Leslie? Leslie NEVER built one of those!

Most Leslie sims through mono sound worse.

Reduces the thing to sounding like a guitar amp tremelo in some cases.

I don't place my keyboard stereo speakers at either side of the stage, though, they are both right behind me, on stands. For larger stages, I do point them as much as 190 degress out to either side, but still right behind my head. They are back to back and pointing sideways as far as the audience is conerned when I do that. Most of the time, I aim them slightly outwards at about a 37 to 45 degree angle, though.

Leslie simulation is rather nice this way.

And I HAVE to have good Leslie, having used the real thing for too many years.

At the end of the day, no matter what anybody says, the Leslie is a spatial effect. I needs me some Doppler.

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 01-16-2010).]
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#279384 - 01/16/10 07:12 PM Re: Ventilator Rotory With G70
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Diki,

Thank you very much for telling me why I don't care for the G70 HBs. I have tried and tried but in the end I just don't like them. One of the reasons I bought the G70 was I thought the HBs were supposed to be tops. I thought the Leslie sim was supposed to be very good also but again it leaves me wanting. Thanks for the explanation.

Tom

Tom

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online