SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#280407 - 02/02/10 12:24 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, I'll have to say that it's hard to beat a C-1, a small bass amp and a Motion sound top box. Whole thing, in three easy pieces, is around 100 lbs.

Still gives you two manuals and that great real doppler. Simulators are pretty good, but not as good as actually "movin some air"!

Russ

#280408 - 02/02/10 12:35 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Wasn't near as heavy as the B-3, but I'm glad to be using an arranger today.

Yeah, but if you were "riding" (your words) a B3, the 'pop-tart' of the night was pretty much a sure thing, whereas with an arranger, even if you DO get lucky, you're probably talking wig, dentures, and support hose. Hey, had to be some reason we were willing to hump 700 lbs. of gear up two flights of stairs for $50.00 a night. BTW, I think about that every time someone mentions the 'good ol' days'.

I hate the B3.

chas

#280409 - 02/02/10 03:22 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No one is talking about the MAIN difference between gigging with the B and what we do now...

On the B, you played EVERYTHING! No accompaniment, no 'helpers', no lyrics on screen, no Songbook features, no sounds coming out that OUGHT to be played by a drummer or bass player or guitarist. What the audience heard was what they SAW...

Play something great, nobody assumed it was a machine. Play something bad, EVERYBODY knew it was you!

Nowadays, nobody knows what's real and what isn't. And are pretty blasé about the whole experience, I'm afraid. I miss the old days...

#280410 - 02/02/10 03:39 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:

Nowadays, nobody knows what's real and what isn't. And are pretty blasé about the whole experience, I'm afraid. I miss the old days... [/B]

Its such a relief working with people that still have a passion for vintage keys and see the benefits of staying close to the original sound as possible, even if they can't carry around genuine vntage gear.

Its a fairly common assumption that audiences don't know the difference between say a sampled hammond on a synth and a genuine vintage C3/Leslie, and when they are listening to a band with only synths that may be the case; However they certainly know when the right sound is present!! I see it on their faces on a regular basis.

#280411 - 02/02/10 03:47 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Cassp Gotta answer you on the Rascals. When I finally sold my gigging B3 to a church and had it all packed up and ready to go I get a call from a local club that I used to loan it to for show groups that required one. We got dinner and drinks and got to see the show in return. I tell the owner its ready to go and ask who needs it? FELIX of the Rascals!!. Just him and a pickup group but it was a thrill for me to have him play it and meet him later. Meet him agin in Atlantic City NJ and he remember the gig. Also a girl singer I worked with for a while had a boyfriend who ran a big band in North Jersey. Eddie Brigati used to show up and sing all the time with them. Rule #1--never mention the Rascals
Diki ME TOO!!! Used to kick bass on the B, Fender Rhoades on top, synth on the side, and sang. Just me, a kickass drummer and a frontman who played congas. Worked my tail off every night and loved it.. Miss it big time

Bill in NJ

#280412 - 02/02/10 04:48 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Back in the 80's when I just played sax i used to use the late great jazz organist Bobby Forrester in Long Island NY (he was with Ruth Brown in the 90's)
and I always marveled at how he used to roll his B3 and Leslies in and out of his rickety old van to all his gigs all by himself. Maybe it helped that he used to down a few shots of
Black Bull through the night. But I don't know what it is with organ players, they all seem to get louder and louder as the night goes on,
until by the last set they are killing your ears. Can anyone explain this to me?

------------------
Miami Mo

#280413 - 02/02/10 05:22 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Back in the 80's when I just played sax i used to use the late great jazz organist Bobby Forrester in Long Island NY (he was with Ruth Brown in the 90's)
and I always marveled at how he used to roll his B3 and Leslies in and out of his rickety old van to all his gigs all by himself. Maybe it helped that he used to down a few shots of
Black Bull through the night. But I don't know what it is with organ players, they all seem to get louder and louder as the night goes on,
until by the last set they are killing your ears. Can anyone explain this to me?

Its normally down to the sound engineer. Its best to keep the Leslie as back line and mic it up... even for small gigs. Always make sure the guy on keys has the Leslie next to him or at least a monitor speaker otherwise if the leslie is off stage he is going to have trouble hearing himself over the other instruments.

#280414 - 02/02/10 05:41 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
sound engineer?lol
no engineer at those little clubs we played-
Bobby controlled his own sound. but not his
100 proof Black Bull habit.

------------------
Miami Mo

#280415 - 02/03/10 06:38 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
What a coincidence. A few years ago when I was buying selling Hammonds I teamed up with a tech from North Jersey, Jack Pelek. Jack built a new garage for his business and in no time Bobby had his beat up B3 and leslies stored there. Didn't move them for over two years, always had a rental on the gigs with Ruth Brown. Just after Jack got him to put them in a storage facility he passed away. Great underrated player.
For all you Hammond heads out there I've still got the Mint Cherrywood setup for sale. Not too many like this one around.
Bill in NJ

#280416 - 02/03/10 08:32 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, I thought your cherried B3 was ear marked for Chas..

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online