SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28146 - 01/31/00 02:52 AM Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Timbertom Offline

Loc: Japan
I have noticed that the sounds on my Xp60 (expansion cards included) end in a broken up, distorted, fuzzy sound that occurs just as the sound ends. Anybody else have this experience? It is particularily evident with short sounds such as percussion. I am able to hear it directly connected to the headphone jack, or through the Mix outs.

I am about ready to send it in to Roland, butI would love to avoid this if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Timbertom

#28147 - 02/01/00 03:21 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
test

#28148 - 02/01/00 03:25 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

I had this same problem. Please read some of the "GRUNGE" posts on this very board!!!!

Also read the xp-60 user reviews at:

Harmony-central.com

sonicstate.com

If you cant find the reviews, let me know I will post the direct URLS.

I liked my xp-60, so I took it in to roland to have them fix it. They REFUSED to fix it, telling me it was all in my head. I waited 29 days to get an appropriate response from Roland, but they told me the other people online who also claimed to have this issue were "stupid internet people".

The tech support guy was even a jerk.

So, I told roland too stuff it and returned the xp-60 and got a Korg Triton for 1850.00 US instead.

The annoying grunge sound is when the note fades. Most synths have this, but it is VERY APPARENT on the xp-60, 80, and 2080. It is obnoxious to say the least. It turns a nice sounding synth into crap.

If you do NOT get a satisfactory response from Roland, return it ASAP and get something else.

#28149 - 02/02/00 03:59 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Timbertom Offline

Loc: Japan
Good News!

I talked to Roland Tech Support here in Japan. They said they knew what I was referring to, and suggested I return my Synth to the retailer for free repairs by Roland, as my Xp60 is still under warranty.

What a relief!

Timbertom

#28150 - 02/02/00 09:03 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

Good for you! Roland USA were a bunch of jerks.

Good luck!

#28151 - 02/10/00 03:32 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
I went "listening" for the "fuzz" today on my XP80 and I now understand what some people have been talking about. My XP80 has it, too; I suspect all XPs do. However, it's never bothered my playing, sequencing, patch editing, or recording with the XP80, so it is no big deal to me. The "fuzz" seems to be the terminal part of the (white) noise that accompanies samples on many synths (the same noise - but louder - is present on my M1R and Triton, but the noise fades out smoothly with the synth sound and does not "fuzz" at the end on the Korgs; note: I could not hear the noise on most of my K2000 samples). Anyway, the "XP Fuzz" is no myth, but no big whoop either. I'll continue to use my XP80 as my primary studio and "road" synth.

#28152 - 02/10/00 04:21 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
DonaldS Offline

That's really suspect how in Japan Roland acknowledges the "fuzz" problem and offeres to fix it, but here in the US their response is denial and belittling the user. Obviously they are aware of the problem and have a fix for it. So why don't they do the same fix in the US?

It really erks me how so many US companies have the attitude to deny any problems with their products or services rather then face them and fix them. Good old American business ethics.

#28153 - 02/11/00 06:28 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

Wilkes:

Try some short attack patches with a bit of reverb....

ONce I found the distorted noise, It irritated me to no end. I heard it on every sound I played.

IF I had had the unit for eons, it wouldnt have bothered me. But shelling out the money I did for that synth and having the sounds distorted just wasn't right.

Sorry that your ears finally tuned it in. I willing to bet it will irritate you.

It was "just blatant enough" for it to get under my skin every time I played the machine.

#28154 - 02/11/00 10:41 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Wilkes Offline

Arvon45:

I read your post after having practiced on my XP-80 for 3-4 hours today and I just can't hear the "fuzz" when I am playing. I can only hear it when I'm listening for it and playing one note at a time. I had noticed the effect reverb has on the "fuzz" yesterday when I was experimenting, by the way. I suspect that if I had heard the "fuzz" before buying the XP-80, I might have chosen a different synth. However, it is a moot point to me because I cannot hear it when I play or in any of the 50+ songs I've recorded using the XP-80. I guess the countless studios and many performers who use the XP/JV synths live aren't bothered by it either. But, I guess if it would be better if it is not present. It will be interesting to see if the new XV line will have that little "fuzz".

I'll definitely let you know if it irritates me, though!

#28155 - 02/13/00 12:34 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

Wilkes:

I'm glad you can't hear it in the songs you have made. That is the most important thing.

The xp-'s are good synths. It's just that Roland went on the cheap and used crappy D/A converters for the 2080, 60, and 80. The 1080 and Xp-50 DO NOT have the "fuzz". They sound a bit darker to me as well.

#28156 - 02/13/00 08:08 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Wilkes Offline

Good to hear about the lack of the "fuzz" on the XP-50 as I just picked a used one up as my synth for the road.

#28157 - 02/14/00 02:33 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I never have played an XP but if there is a noise problem upon fade out, you may want to consider a denoiser such as Behringers' SNR202. The 202 is an inexpensive dual channel unit (1U) with threshold and release settings. I've used one countless times to clean up minor noise problems, might be worth a try.

#28158 - 02/14/00 10:26 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always use XP80.It's best for me. I am feel relieved that this problem is not occur only my XP80.I found it sometime.I generally found when sequencer is play.(also open direct from disk and from internal) I am shock when sound in any parts and any note become fuzz noise sound.It's loud. when I press to stop sequencer,anything is quiet .But when press keys, Sound is fuzz noise in any parts.It's deathly. I must turn powre off and on again. And other problems that I found. When I use more polyphonic (May be then 64) in sequencer,note will be delay (feel that tempo hear unstable) even if I will reserve each parts already.

#28159 - 02/16/00 02:12 AM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
ullah Offline

how about the xp-30? does that one also have the fuzz?

#28160 - 02/16/00 05:23 PM Re: Xp 60 sounds end in distorted fuzz!!
Arvon45 Offline

From what I understand and have heard, all the NEW roland synths have this problem. The 1080 and xp-50 do not.

Check out the reviews at harmony-central.com

and sonicstate.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online