SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282572 - 03/01/10 11:46 PM Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I was just comparing the specs of my JBL 10 Eon G2 with a couple Podium speakers and found some numbers where something doesn't sound right.

The frequency response of my JBL's are 90hz -16khz, +- 3 dB.

The frequency response of the Podium PP1002A is 28-20,000hz and on the PP802A it shows 30-20,000hz.

Notice on the high frequencies the JBL is in khz and the Podiums is hz. So, from what I know of specs this means the high end on the Podium speakers is 1000 hz less than the JBL's? If this is correct I would think the high's would really suffer.

Any ideas on this?

Scott

#282573 - 03/02/10 12:41 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Tonewheeldude Offline

hz/khz use the metric system so 1kz = 0.001hz (10 to the power of 3)

in other words 20,000hz = 20khz

and I have yet to hear a system (get it?) that is capable of:
mhz: 10 to the power of 6
ghz: 10 to the power or 9
thz: 10 to the power of 12

Only a child will hear 20-20,000hz so unless your playing to a very young audience you might as well use the JBL's

#282574 - 03/02/10 01:58 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Actually, I had just been napping and I misread the 16khz as 16,000 khz.

But, while I know there's a lot you can't tell by the spec's, it seems the Podiums may be a hotter sound than the JBL,s, both top and bottom.

But, the idea of an 8" speaker delivering better than a 10 seems hard to believe.

Anyone here that has used both?

#282575 - 03/02/10 08:50 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The JBL stated +- 3 db which means their response can be off by 6 db from 1 frequency to another, which is about what your are going to get from a respectable speaker.

Did the Podiums state +- dbs?

If the mentione +- 10db, there can be a 2- db difference from frequencies, so specs are helpful only if they are all on a even playing field, most companies know how to use specs to make their so so product look incredible onpaper.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#282576 - 03/02/10 08:54 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, Scott... Unless the specs are posted with the value that those frequencies are down by, there is no valid comparison. The JBL's state clearly that, at 90Hz and 16kHz, the sound is down by only 3db. But that doesn't mean that sounds outside of that range don't exist at all, just that they are attenuated by MORE than 3db...

The Podium's, OTOH don't offer ANY attenuation figures at all, so they COULD be down either more or less. They are just stating the extremes of frequency the speakers will reproduce, but they offer no figures to quantify how much those extremes are rolled off. They certainly aren't flat from 28Hz to 20kHz... even multi thousand dollar monitors aren't that!

It's just one more example of how shady the whole 'specs' thing is. Your best way to protect yourself from hype is to educate yourself on the MEANING of the specs... And then only trust your ears, anyway!

#282577 - 03/02/10 09:58 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I too do not play the number games...but side by side separates the one that out performs..

All that needed to be said ..has already been said on SZ...do a search..

Let me put it another way....would you like a list of owners that have stopped using JBL's because the Podiums completely out performed them?
I am serious..I know several..I have never been a JBL fan and I didn't find that surprising..

I also have a list of owners that switched from Mackie 350's and 450's to 802 and 1204 Podiums..

And I even have a short list of Yorkville users that switched to 1204's (our band)..

Also a short list of Yamaha users switched to 1503 Podiums..

The biggest comparison issue..bass is dominate on the Podiums..

The 10" JBL and Mackie 350 are a joke when compared to even the 802 ...bass and power are superior on the Podiums..

To date I still can't praise the Podiums enough...Dollar for dollar the best power and performance you can buy..

BTW: If you still need Eons, 350's 450's Mackies ,Yamaha MSR, Yorkville NX....let me know..You may be able to get a bargain price..but still more than you will pay for "New" Podiums....

Seriously Scott...try 802's 1003's..or the vast superior 1204's and 1504's...

#282578 - 03/02/10 10:12 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The one thing I'd need to know is, take the JBL's, Mackie's, whatever, and then the Podium's. Wind them up to as loud as they can possibly go and put a REAL drummer through them (not the anemic ones in arrangers!) and see which blows up first...

#282579 - 03/02/10 10:38 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The one thing I'd need to know is, take the JBL's, Mackie's, whatever, and then the Podium's. Wind them up to as loud as they can possibly go and put a REAL drummer through them (not the anemic ones in arrangers!) and see which blows up first...

I think that test was already done...One fella has a pair of Eon 10's available ..one unit needs a driver...

#282580 - 03/02/10 10:47 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
What I wanna know is, what kind of protection do the Podium's have against overheating / overdriving? Nowhere in the specs does it say anything about that.

#282581 - 03/02/10 10:53 AM Re: Podium speakers vs JBL Eons
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
What I wanna know is, what kind of protection do the Podium's have against overheating / overdriving? Nowhere in the specs does it say anything about that.

Good question..and I don't know the answer..

I can say..that the 12 units I have used have never shut down..and a few I have pushed for long durations (including initial testing of the 802's)..

I would bet there is a limiter built in..

BTW: all my units are AB amps and none have run "hot"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online