SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 28 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 27 28 >
Topic Options
#284795 - 04/07/10 03:52 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
So, it still substitutes midi guitar voices along with the audio guitar.

Of course, OS4 will fix it....right?

Thanks.

Ian

#284796 - 04/07/10 04:00 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

a little more info. The Audya only replaces the midi guitar in impossible inversions.

if i play the 1st inversion of a sus4 it will play correctly - because that is the inversion a guitarist will use. he physically cannot play every inversion. From a keyboard players point of view if an incorrect inversion was played in a sequence the sound would be worse than using a mixture of midi guitars and live guitars.

The audya always chooses the most appropriate combination to keep the sequence fluid.

#284797 - 04/07/10 04:05 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

thanks for bringing this up Ian...this is quite amazing stuff.

In summary the Audya will play every physically possible guitar chord, but when a chord is not playable on a guitar due for example to an unreachable inversion the Audya will replace the live guitar with a midi guitar for the sake of the keyboard players continuity - I don't know about you but I didn't have a clue which inversions are possible on a real guitar.

If the Audya simply played a different inversion to the chord position the keyboard player is on the sound would be weird, so it is the only option to replace certain unusual chord inversions with a midi guitar. But even then its not easy to hear the difference.

This keyboard is amazing. I had never considered this sort of detail before.

#284798 - 04/07/10 04:20 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Minor 7th flat fives are very common in music, as are several other chords marked with the asterisk.

If you play relatively simple chords, and stay away from the more complex (and, unfortunately, interesting ones) the Audya plays only audio guitars...and sounds right.

Well, I believe this had been already worked out on that old thread that Spalding found.

Can't imagine looking through my music, and deleting those tunes with m7b5 and other chords that add to a songs interest...of course, there are those who either can't play complex chords, or just don't use them in their music because perhaps the genre only uses relatively simple chords.

That's your Audya customer I suppose....it doesn't appear to be geared for Jazz or Latin....might work well with most Rock, Rock and Roll and Country...that's probably why DonM likes it so much.

Ian

PS...will OS4 add more audio chords?

PSS...I also play guitar and bass.

PSSS...Yamaha's Tyros3 and PSR-S910 have a new GTT style mode that emulates exactly the way a guitar player voices the chords, and it does it seamlessly with mega-voices.

It's subtle, but very effective....exposed guitar parts are homogeneous AND correct. This is not a "mine is better than yours", but only to indicate that style technology advances very quickly.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-07-2010).]

#284799 - 04/07/10 04:42 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

you didn't read it properly Ian

There is no need to get rid of any interesting chords. you just have to understand that certain inversions are impossible for a guitarist to play so it is impossible to have a live recording of that chord inversion, however...change the inversion and the chord plays live. If you do play a funny inversion the keyboard can't just go quiet...thats where the midi guitar cuts in, but even so, amongst the style it is not noticable as the Audya's mid guitars are so good; you have to turn everything else down to hear it and even then its sometimes tricky if there is an arpeggio guitar over the top.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-07-2010).]

#284800 - 04/07/10 04:42 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
DannyUK Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:

you need to answer the same question as Danny. When have you played the audya?

Unfortunately, I haven't played an Audya and I have said my experience of the Audya has been very limited. I would never put this or any keyboard down, that's not what I wanted to make a thread about because I want every reason to buy an Audya in the future to go along with the T3, not to exploit it, but it would be the Audya5 because I don't want 76 keys, I don't really gig any longer so it would be mainly for home use and recording one's own music.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 04-07-2010).]

#284801 - 04/07/10 04:48 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

its ok Danny - and sorry if i sounded abit abrupt. Actually I am very glad for this thread as I discovered something completely new about the way the guitar chords are constructed.

We just take a keyboard and play it without really thinking of all the work that goes into it. This must have been a HUGE learning curve for Ketron. No wonder it took so long to get it out on the market.

#284802 - 04/07/10 05:16 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
you didn't read it properly Ian

There is no need to get rid of any interesting chords. you just have to understand that certain inversions are impossible for a guitarist to play so it is impossible to have a live recording of that chord inversion, however...change the inversion and the chord plays live.

I can only read what's been written, my friend.

So, the keyboardist has to play certain inversions of a chord so that it plays only audio guitar?

Take into account the player may be using bass inversion chords, and it gets pretty interesting.

I still feel they could have done better with the audio guitar chords, and I still feel that the addition of midi guitar is not a satisfactory fix...it was probably the only one available to them, as to record every chord and it's inversions in audio, probably was beyond the company's budget, or maybe, beyond their technological status at that time.

That's why I asked if OS4, or perhaps a future operating system upgrade will add more audio chords.

I'm also wondering what difficulties a client will be up against when programming/editing/re-voicing their own user styles. A few people on the other thread said, or seemed to feel, it would be quite a task.

Ian

#284803 - 04/07/10 05:36 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

argh ..your still not reading what I have written Ian.

If it's impossible to play a specific inversion on an acoustic guitar it is impossible to have a live recording. you could have $1,000,000,000 of recording gear and it still could not be recorded.

and look at the list, this is a tiny ammount of strummed chords that switch to midi. the arppegios are fine and are available on all inversions. Most of us play the first inversion anyway so its hardly ever going to be an issue. Your m7b5 chord is more comfortable in the first inversion too.

As for revoicing styles. The Audya does all the work. just go to style view, select the part you want to adjust and use the rotary wheel to select from hundreds of live and midi variations, you can select volumes and pan too and make changes to each arranger part as well as intros, endings, fills and break. You can even take a legacy style and swap out a midi part for live drums or guitars (many of which are not used in the supplied styles so you can really cook your own unique variations). But thats a whole other subject. I'll try and tell you more in another thread if your interested.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-07-2010).]

#284804 - 04/07/10 06:00 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

The voicing for my m7b5 depends on the previous and the next chord, if I'm planning a smooth uninterrupted move (as in using a sound in the left, such as strings) and sometimes it's easier to use a different inversion than the first.

How would it handle a Bm7b5/A with a strumming guitar part? Would the audio guitar play the root as an A or a B? On my S910 the mega voice guitar plays an A.

I suppose it's workable, but I do remember hearing the guitar chords being played in the posted demos...the additional midi guitars were far from subtle, and very obvious. I can't remember what chords were being played, and the demos were removed, but I believe the chords weren't overly complex.

I know I will never get a chance to play one, so on-line demos will be my only exposure.

Perhaps you could post some audio guitar only chord changes, using several types of chords and inversions?

It would be in the Audya's favor if we could hear demos that show the exposed guitar audio/midi parts were more homogeneous sounding than what we heard previously.

Ian

Page 6 of 28 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 27 28 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online