SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 27 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27 >
Topic Options
#285659 - 04/23/10 04:23 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Spalding if you can wait for a couple of weeks, I will do something re a style using giga sounds and or VST sounds.

When I had my MS, I had NO issues or operational problems with any other part than the arranger. Well maybe apart form 3rd party drivers like the JACK which crashed a bit

The new Live Arranger provided by Norbert Stellborg looks like it might be far better than Live Styler (of which I have the Gold + version which also will run natively Roland/Ketron styles) on the Media Station.

Dennis

PS: I am like James in that,live, I will be using it as a solo instrument, or with 3-4 part backing tracks. But I will also set up for the odd style so it will help me there as well.

#285660 - 04/23/10 04:31 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
cheers Dennis !!

#285661 - 04/23/10 04:44 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
BlkNotes Offline

[
Hello Ensare you, IrishActs, Others;

I may be wrong but I don't think that Diki is complaining about the right hand sounds generated using Giga samples or Vst, or at least I not. They are good. I think the point of contention is the quality of sound coming from the styles in the arranger. What I am trying to understand is if I can remap those Giga samples Akai files, Vst etc.. to the GM/GS banks so that the Mediasations current GM sound bank can be greatly improved. For instance, take a high quality guitar sample from a Vst or giga sample (electric and acoustic) and remap it to the Mediastations Guitar GM sound set so that an excellent quality strumming guitar can be used in the styles ( i.e. similar to the G-70, Tyros, Audya strumming guitar styles).

Diki states that it can't be done because it is not just a simple GM/GS remap but a more complicated process that requires ---"There are, for starters, about four different samples per note in even my G70. So, you have to match whatever substitute kit to carefully cross-switch at the same point, to roughly the same type samples. No small task, just that. Then there are non-standard 'ghost' notes, ruffs, tom-tom flams (some velocity switched, some on separate notes) and a host of extra sounds well outside the GM/GS standard. That's WHY modern arrangers sound so good... there's MUCH more detail and nuance available."

While IrishActs states that a simple remap can be done, Diki does not seem to think the end results will be a style that is as good as the current TOTL arrangers.

Spalding posed a request to Irishacts, but he stated that what Spalding was asking could not be done.

So I am confused as to the fact, can it be done, and will it sound the same or hopefully better then the current crop of TOTL arranger styles.

Perhaps if IrichActs or someone could do this with one or two styles to show others the effect that such a remapping can make on the quality of the style in the mediastation. I think that would assist many members here that are unsure of the arranger portion of the keyboard.

Again I don't think there is a point of contention with the solo voices in the right hand.

Thank-you for your help
BN

#285662 - 04/23/10 05:00 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
BlkNotes Offline

Hello Miden;

Your proposal above would be a great help !!!

I understand that Irishacts and yourself primarliy use the right hand sounds, which I believe the mediasation has proven itself in.

There are many here who depend on the styles for their playing and these are important to them and to the keyboard they are playing. I beleive there are a number of member here that would like to not only use the quality right hand voices, but would like the arranger portion of the mediastation ( i.e. styles) to match the quality of the right hand voices and also to be on par with or even better then the current Top level arrangers styles from Roland G-70/E-80/Tyros 3 /Audya/ Pa2xpro

Thanks;
BN

#285663 - 04/23/10 06:33 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes sir, Dennis! That's great news...I'm tickled you'll be gracing us with a style demo.

Now we'll finally get to hear what that baby will do.

Thank you,

Ian

#285664 - 04/23/10 06:38 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yes sir, Dennis! That's great news...I'm tickled you'll be gracing us with a style demo.

Now we'll finally get to hear what that baby will do.

Thank you,

Ian

No worries Ian I will probably also purchase the full rights to the Live Arranger so there should be no restrictions on what I can edit and save.

dennis

#285665 - 04/24/10 01:14 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi BlkNotes
Convert another manufactures style to your keyboard, and then edit the sounds etc. to suit your requirements.
If it works, you have a great style to add to your collection, if not, then you discard it.

The same applies to the MS, with the only difference being you have access to a greater number of sounds, (Thus making it easier to find a sound to suit) and of much higher quality. (If you’re using VSTi, then you a talking at least 24 bit 96 KHz rather than the now antiquated 16 bit 44 KHz (CD Quality) which is close on 30 years old now)

The layers Diki mentions are of no relevance, as all VSTi have a far greater number of layers then any closed keyboard. (Having multiples of layers means there will always be one that matches the limited layers of the closed versions)

The point is though, is that it is a do it yourself job, as there has not yet been enough Open keyboards sold to make it worthwhile for a style creator, to create bespoke styles for them (Chicken & Egg here)

Also consider this; if the OOTB styles of closed arrangers are so good, why it is that pretty much everybody on these forums edits them. (Surly if their top notch then there would be no need to) and members like Diki go at lengths to emphasize how the Roland’s Make up tools allow him to do this.

Another point to remember is; how I set up a converted style, will be totally different to the next person, and so will probably only suit me and not anybody else, so hands on is the only way to test. (As Diki says, if you want the original, buy the keyboard it’s on)

Basically if you want great styles out the box, buy a closed keyboard, if however you wish to personalise to the hilt, (So that you can become truly unique) then get an open keyboard.

Hope this clears things up

Bill

#285666 - 04/24/10 06:19 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
to the genesys Offline

You know it is interesting to hear Diki talk about the MS and how having to tweak and edit is not what should be required to use the keyboard.

But hear him talk about the Audya you have to wonder if it is the same person talking.

#285667 - 04/24/10 08:07 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's a big difference between HAVING to tweak and adjust EVERY style you use, and being unable to tweak and adjust every style. And BOTH these things are completely unacceptable, at least to ma. A style should work and sound close to perfect when you start it for the first time... but THEN you should be able to alter it to something that sounds very DIFFERENT (go from sticks to brushes, slap bass to acoustic, etc.) to add variety to your style choices.

My G70 makes this almost a 'one button' process, and the mapping is already DONE.

In fairness, for what I want to do with an arranger (don't forget, for home and studio, I already HAVE a VSTi rig that suffices for my needs in a non-live situation) the Audya starts out as a FAR better prospect. At least I'm not faced with WEEKS (to months, to years! ) of prep work before I can gig with it.

Once again, all the refutations of my points are theoretical. No-one is going 'listen to THIS!'. They are simply telling me how easy it OUGHT to be... Proof positive they have never actually done it themselves. When you hear 'in a few WEEKS I can show you this' but then they tell you it takes a half an hour to do (mind you, you repeat half an hour for every style you use - how much time is THAT for all of you? For me, that would be a LONG time!)...

All it's going to take (all it has EVER taken) is for someone to simply DO IT, let me listen to the results (play the original, then the GIGA edit) and tell me truthfully how long it took them to do that ONE. I can figure out the rest myself. Start with a SERIOUSLY good ROM style, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, whatever, then let's just HEAR all this.

Enough talk...

#285668 - 04/24/10 12:32 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I cant really understand his point either...if 20-30 min to tweak a style is a lot of time
i dont even know now what he means by tweaking, maybe just lowering the volume
on his GREAT G70 which everything is done with ONE BUTTON task...ahahahahahaha.
But in MOST peoples world if tweaking a style dont take 30 min then you dont know
what you are doing...tweaking means exactly that, spending some time with the style.

Page 9 of 27 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online