SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#295584 - 10/08/10 11:09 AM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
casaet Offline

Loc: Norway
Seems Diki knows what he is talking about, both concerning weight and other more important things. Today a 2xpro turned up at the local marketplace, less than an hours drive away, so now I can try it. Maybe i will end up buying it too.
casaet

#295585 - 10/08/10 11:54 AM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
casaet,
When you go to audition it, be sure the MASTER EQ is ON. Otherwise the sound will not be as robust. The dumb shits at Korg have it off by default. (Yes, I know why).

Also, check to see it is at V2.0 or v 2.1 of OS...then you can play with the DNC (Defined Nuance Control)sounds onboard. If it is not you can download and install it later. About 16 new DNC voices were added with 2.0.

I would plan on a whole day there..there is a lot to hear/play as it is a PRO arranger with many functions.
I would download the manual before you go, print it out and read it before you go.
There is an addendum to the manual that covers 2.x OS...be sure to look it over too.

Just some ideas.
Lee S.

#295586 - 10/08/10 12:01 PM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
casaet,
When you go to audition it, be sure the MASTER EQ is ON. Otherwise the sound will not be as robust. The dumb shits at Korg have it off by default. (Yes, I know why).

Also, check to see it is at V2.0 or v 2.1 of OS...then you can play with the DNC (Defined Nuance Control)sounds onboard. If it is not you can download and install it later. About 16 new DNC voices were added with 2.0.

I would plan on a whole day there..there is a lot to hear/play as it is a PRO arranger with many functions.
I would download the manual before you go, print it out and read it before you go.
There is an addendum to the manual that covers 2.x OS...be sure to look it over too.

Just some ideas.
Lee S.

Although you should note that the factory default for the master EQ is flat, so you will need to enter your own settings as you play to find levels that suit you.

#295587 - 10/08/10 12:38 PM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The EQ you need will depend on the speakers you play it through. I would imagine through a pro 'flat' PA with subs, you may not need too much (if any) but smaller speakers with no sub might need the bottom bumped. Personally, I approve of default factory EQ being flat. Let's hear what it REALLY sounds like...

I can adjust it afterwards if I have to play through shitty speakers!

#295588 - 10/08/10 12:53 PM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
leeboy Offline

Yep..and one thing to rememer when you go...the MASTER EQ may be set to OFF..NOT JUST FLAT...plain off. Many people have gone to the music shop to listen to PA after hearing the demos on-line and thought it sounded cheap/tinny...
When I got mine home brand new..I felt that way..until I turned on the MASTER EQ. It's default setting are no flat...but also as you said do need tweeking based on MANY things.
Once the Master EQ was on and set...WOW what a great sound thru my Mackies

Lee S.

#295589 - 10/08/10 01:18 PM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
casaet Offline

Loc: Norway
This was really some good info. So I have the master EQ on, start with flat, and go from there. The seller probably have the latest OS updates installed, and I will have a look at the manual.
casaet

#295590 - 10/08/10 06:40 PM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
leeboy Offline

casaet,
It is easy to get to the Master EQ page.
1) Press global
2) Press Menu
3) Press Audio setup
4) Selct Master Eq on touch screen

There you can set the Master EQ for the entire instrument.

Of course individual EQ is available for all the style & sounds tracks INDIVIDUALLY as well.

Lee S.

#295591 - 10/09/10 02:45 AM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
Diki Offline

It's very important to try and see if any perceived lack in bass or treble isn't simply due to one or more of the Parts needing EQ, rather than the whole thing. I often hear boomy pianos, or tinny cymbals on people's demos, and can usually put the blame on Master EQ set to make the drums and bass deeper, or the guitars brighter, whatever, whereas simply fixing the REAL cause of the problem doesn't actually make other things worse...

#295592 - 10/09/10 08:46 AM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
leeboy Offline

Diki,
Very true...
And the PA2 will allow EQ by part very nicely and easy.

I was just concerned that he may think the overall sounds were poor when all that was needed was to turn on the Master EQ.

When I got my PA2XPRO out of the box and hooked it up to the Mackies..I was very dissappointed.

When I turned on the MAster EQ (didn't even make any tweeks at that point) WOW it was terrific.

Don't know why Korg has it off by default.
Lee S.

#295593 - 10/09/10 11:53 AM Re: Korg pa1x pro or Roland G70?
Diki Offline

One thing many people fail to check is, after they have got the Master EQ set to make the entire arranger sound full and impressive, then go and play the main Grand Piano sound through that EQ. Listen carefully for how much bottom the piano has. If you play a REAL piano much at all, you realize that it's low end is no match for a bass guitar or upright, yet many arranger pianos, once played through gobs of bottom boost at the master EQ, can sound SO full that there's a lot of interference with the clarity of the bass part unless you are VERY careful to only play IDENTICALLY to what the bassist is doing.

I used to think my G70 needed this Master EQ boost until I listened to this. I was always boosting up my bottom. Then I realized that most of my perceived need for low end came from the ROM basses being a bit thin. Boosting ONLY the bass's low end immediately gave me the fullness I wanted, without muddying up my piano sound. And then, after getting some SRX boards (-07 is my fave) with some AWESOME well recorded basses that didn't need any bass EQ at all, I find my G70 now sounds its' best with no Master EQ at all!

So, be careful with that Master EQ... it can cause almost as many problems as it solves!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online