SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295636 - 10/07/10 08:51 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Frankie,

I"m Encouraged to hear your positive feedback on the T4's new vocalizer. That said, any possibility you could post a short demo of it in action in: 'duet' mode, with live male voice + single female voice in harmony? Many thanks. Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#295637 - 10/07/10 11:33 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Having it on a shelf alongside the Korg's and Ketron's (and do you have maybe a used G70 or E80?), is it possible to do a straight ahead barebones audio comparison, same mike and singer?

I am glad that the T4's VH is better, but let's face it, the bar was so low, almost ANY improvement would make it 'better' I guess the main question is... 'good enough', 'great', or 'better than the rest'?

#295638 - 10/07/10 11:50 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I don't want to come off as bashing yamaha's harmonizer, especially when respected players on this forum have used it exclusively for a long time with no apparent downside.

I just know for me, it was 1000% unusable. I tried different mics, different EQ's, etc. and when I got to about 80% of my vocal output-it broke up into a million little distorted pieces of unusable mush.

If I whispered, it was ok...the tracking was different that what I was used to with the Digitechs.

Maybe if I started doing nothing but lullabies, it could've worked, lol...

Looking forward to more info...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-07-2010).]

#295639 - 10/07/10 03:45 PM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Dnj Offline

The second worst thing is that I always hear players that DON"T KNOW HOW to use the vocalizer in live performance correctly...
VH is an art form all to itself.

#295640 - 10/07/10 07:26 PM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The second worst thing is that I always hear players that DON"T KNOW HOW to use the vocalizer in live performance correctly...

It's the same thing when you sing harmony in a group. It's all about blending. I teach this everyday to many groups of singers. You can't blow the walls out when you are singing with other people, or with a VH, which is in some ways the same thing. You have to keep your ears constantly on the blend. If you don't have that, you don't have crap.

Joe

#295641 - 10/07/10 11:06 PM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:

Please Donnie, tell the rest of us how players should use the vocalizer correctly...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#295642 - 10/07/10 11:15 PM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
It's the same thing when you sing harmony in a group. It's all about blending. I teach this everyday to many groups of singers. You can't blow the walls out when you are singing with other people, or with a VH, which is in some ways the same thing. You have to keep your ears constantly on the blend. If you don't have that, you don't have crap.

Joe

I think I disagree with your suggestion that VH users have to focus on the blend. By definition, the harmonizer is providing you digitally perfect blend every time. The singer may be off pitch or have other deficiencies in their singing, but the blend will be spot on.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. If a VH user feels his blend isn't correct, what should they do to correct it? What could they possibly do?

You are 100% correct when harmonizing with others. It requires intense listening and shaping of tones to find a pleasing common ground.

If a vocalist using a Digitech or a TC Helicon stand alone unit sounds fine with it, regardless of "bigness of voice" but has difficulties with the on board harmonizer that Yamaha has provided through the Tyros line, then I'd say its more of a problem with the equipment, not the singer...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#295643 - 10/08/10 06:41 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Dnj Offline

Again without hearing examples of singing using the VH ...nothing can be discussed.

#295644 - 10/08/10 06:59 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Again without hearing examples of singing using the VH ...nothing can be discussed.

Nothing?

For the purposes here let's say there's two singers, both male, both baritones/second tenor types. Let's say both are very good with pitch, intonation, etc.

One has a large, powerful voice...
One has a light, thinner voice...

How would you in general, advise them to utilize a harmonizer?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#295645 - 10/08/10 07:16 AM Re: T4 Vocal Harmonizer
Dnj Offline

Again without "hearing examples" of singing using the VH ...nothing can be discussed.

Please post a few demos of the specific songs you are describing with the singing of vocal harmony is involved. Then we can possibly offer some advice.There is NO general method you can use.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online