SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#301257 - 12/23/10 08:00 PM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Dnj Offline

Just get to the playoffs & never lose

#301258 - 12/24/10 05:55 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Eagles showed a lot of never give up spirit to pull that one off and the Giants went in a fog after 52 minutes of great play. No matter, I was at the famous "Fumble Game" years ago. We'll recover and go on.

I do however think its a total disgrace that the NFL allows players like Vick to even be in the league. Its a shame that the almighty dollar allows low life criminals to make millions to entertain us because they can run fast and throw a ball.

Just my $.02.

Bill in NJ

#301259 - 12/24/10 06:19 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't like Vick personally, but if the courts said he gets a second chance, who is the NFL to not let a man work? I think Pete Rose belongs in the hall of fame too, but I wouldn't want either one of them over for dinner. I think the justice system failed here, not the NFL. Vick's a free man because of the courts, and I actually do think everyone deserves a second chance if they pay the price.
I'm not trying to start a fire here ... just sayin' that I don't blame the Eagles or the NFL for something the justice system did.

#301260 - 12/24/10 06:28 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Dnj Offline

FLY EAGLES FLY

#301261 - 12/24/10 08:48 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I don't like Vick personally, but if the courts said he gets a second chance, who is the NFL to not let a man work? I think Pete Rose belongs in the hall of fame too, but I wouldn't want either one of them over for dinner........................

............I actually do think everyone deserves a second chance if they pay the price.

Thanks for having some sense of fairness here. Thousands of people, mostly in southern states, engage in dogfighting everyday and there's no wail of protest. Furthermore, none have forfeited 100 million dollars and served nearly two years in prison for dogfighting. Personally, I loathe and despise this 'sport' and all it's offshoot such as bullfighting, cockfighting, etc. And is boxing very much different? We kill thousands of cows every day, sometimes in the most inhumane way, just to fatten up our already overweight kids on 'Big Macs'. In some cultures, cows are sacred. In others, dogs are culinary delicacies. We kill deer and elk and so-called game birds just for sport and very few of those calling for Vick's head seem to give a sh-t about that. Makes you wonder what the real venom and hatred towards him is all about. Given the price he's already paid and his obvious efforts to atone for what he did and resurrect his image, what more is he supposed to do? Hang himself? Where is that great American tradition of compassion and forgiveness?

And as far as making all that money for being able to throw a football and run fast, it's a pittance compared to what the team owners make and believe me, he wouldn't be making it if we weren't willing to pay to see it.

To all the 'haters' in the world, take a break for the holidays.

Happy holidays and a prosperous new year to you all.

chas

#301262 - 12/24/10 09:32 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
OK , one more log on the Yule fire and I'm almost sorry I started it. We all know about Eagles Fans (wink wink)

Vick paid the "court's price", but if you dig deeper you will learn people like him are really never cured. Much of what he did couldn't even be released in court. I also don't believe in his efforts to resurrect his image, its all for the cash and status. He admitted if he was never caught he would still be doing it. First party he has when released there's a shooting because he's hanging with the same gang bangers he associated with before. NFL looked away again. He's by far not alone and I don't condone any of the other actions mentioned, but he, weather he likes it or not, is a role model for kids. I'm a life long Giants fan and if Lawrence Taylor were still playing I think he should be kicked to the curb too. The NFL should have a higher moral standard, much like most other professions.
I was a teacher and do you think I would of gotten my job back?

Merry Christmas to all. Try the link below. All you have to do is click on the box for them to receive food donations from corporate sponsors..
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

Bill in NJ

[This message has been edited by Bill Lewis (edited 12-24-2010).]

#301263 - 12/27/10 06:29 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
The NFL should have a higher moral standard

Wow - while it would be lovely if every profession DID have a moral standard, I don't expect it from an entertainment industry, like pro sports. There is no moral compass in a high profit, big boys game industry like football. Teachers, nurses, cops, firefighters .... these are positions of moral standard, but pro football is 100% for entertainment at a high level of profit. That's all it is and all it ever will be.

BTW - thanx Green Bay!

#301264 - 12/27/10 07:05 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
....weather he likes it or not, (he) is a role model for kids.

Shouldn't the parents be the primary role model for kids? I don't think that's a pro athlete's resposibility. I think "Sir Charles" (Barkley) had it right.

BTW, looks like the Giants "are what we thought they were". Sorry Tony, maybe we'll see you next season.

chas

#301265 - 12/27/10 09:24 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I don't follow sports at all, but, man isn't it GREAT that this thread covered the Vick deal with dog fighting, the role of parents in raising kids, the sad condition involving overweight kids, other animal humane issues, SPORTS and more; ending with sincere wishes for the holidays?

THAT'S GREAT, and speaks to the intelligence and humanity of the posters.

Way to go, Chas and all others!

Russ

#301266 - 12/27/10 10:00 AM Re: Yo! Giants Fans, I can't hear you :)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Wow - while it would be lovely if every profession DID have a moral standard, I don't expect it from an entertainment industry, like pro sports. There is no moral compass in a high profit, big boys game industry like football. Teachers, nurses, cops, firefighters .... these are positions of moral standard, but pro football is 100% for entertainment at a high level of profit. That's all it is and all it ever will be.

BTW - thanx Green Bay!

Is there a moral standard in ANY entertainment venue???

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Shouldn't the parents be the primary role model for kids? I don't think that's a pro athlete's resposibility. I think "Sir Charles" (Barkley) had it right.

BTW, looks like the Giants "are what we thought they were". Sorry Tony, maybe we'll see you next season.

chas

chas, Of course parents SHOULD be the primary role models, but let's be real ... how many here can say that between the ages of 10 and 18 our parents were OUR primary role models?!?!? ... even if we realized it later in life, I doubt that many of us admitted to it then ... weren't our 'heroes' athletes, movie stars, etc. ... one thing that is different today is that WE did not have access to their every day lives the way we do today ... also, in today's primarily one parent society, it is a lot more difficult for kids to have solid parental role models ... whether it is the athlete, movie star, whatever, 'responsibility' is one thing ... that they ARE held to be role models is something else ...

And in the words of another 'hero' of mine, "It ain't over till it's over" ...

t.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online