SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#315295 - 02/05/11 06:26 AM Re: Anxious for news from Laos... [Re: captain Russ]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Hi Ray,

Russ' playing ability didn't surprise me one bit. Just had no idea he had a good voice as well. And we already know that Chas is a real good hummer.

Hey, you can always go for a swim. Ha! Ha! I have no idea how my aunt's faring down in Queensland. Probably floated to the Great Barrier Reef and ended up as shark fodder. Cruel me... but I've never even met the woman!

The humidity kicked in yesterday and it's only the beginning. But I don't complain because I get sunshine most of the year, trees stay green, flowers and butterflies (love them) all year round. Who needs four seasons when one's all you need!

Since I've left Taiwan, no more typhoons (called hurricanes in the Western Hemisphere) and most likely no more earthquakes. Didn't mind those tremors, though. I survived two major quakes. Something to boast to my grandkids about. Ha! Ha!

Once things get quiet in the Bar there's not much incentive for me to hang around. I mean, I know it's an arranger forum and all, but I'm more interested in talking about other stuff. One-topic conversations bore me as they're usually of a repetitious nature.

Have you moved into your new premises yet?

Taike

Edited by Taike (02/05/11 06:29 AM)

#315369 - 02/05/11 05:42 PM Re: Anxious for news from Laos... [Re: Taike]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Taike,
Yes, moved in on 10 Dec. and i've been busier than a three legged frog in a snake pit.
Making good progress with the things I need to do, and more time for golf soon, as it's right outside my back door, (literally).
Heat is bad enough but I cannot come to terms with humidity as I age, so I sit in the air-con house and try to improve my music skills or watch sport on TV and wait for autumn!!!!
See Ya.
By the way, what do all those letters and numbers mean?
Ray

#315566 - 02/07/11 02:09 AM Re: Anxious for news from Laos... [Re: The Saint]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Originally Posted By: The Saint
By the way, what do all those letters and numbers mean?
Ray

Hi Ray,

It's called Pinyin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin (saves me from having to explain it grin).

The numbers (1-2-3-4) represent the tones:
http://people.wku.edu/shizhen.gao/Chinese101/pinyin/tones.htm
http://sina.echineselearning.com/english/chinese-four-tones.html

It's not as complicated as it sounds like. Of course, 30 years in Taiwan makes me say that although I've met countless expats who barely know two words after 10 years living on the island.

I'm currently trying to enroll in the Lao Language Course at the National University of Laos, commonly referred to as Dongdok. I may have to wait a bit as the semester has already started.

Taike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online