SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315175 - 02/04/11 04:39 AM Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
What are your top 5 most requested nursing home songs?

I'm now working with another guy as a duo. Two guitars and 2 vocals. I wanna compare my list to some of yours.

I'm finding as I get older the music is shifting. 10 years ago the old jazz standards were the common fare. Being out there again, I'm finding only the most popular timeless songs from the great american songbook are recognized. It's seems to be trending to the 50's and early 60's with some 70's adult contemporary in there.

#315177 - 02/04/11 04:58 AM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't play NH gigs, Mikey, but, a friend who does work in that field, showed me this site that offers great suggestions.

http://www.seniorsentertainer.com/songs.html

On a lighter note, (pun intended) here are some songs that should work for those over 50...like Chas, and Diki...and Fran, and Donny...and me, of course!

Let's Get a Physical
Ain't No Burrito Mild Enough
Johnny B. Olde
How Do You Mend a Broken Everything
The Lack O' Motion
Hair Potion Number Nine
Doctor My Eyes (And Ears and Joints and Back and ...)
To All the Girls I've Disappointed Before
A Hard Day's Nap
Knock Knock Knockin' on the Bathroom Door

#315178 - 02/04/11 05:19 AM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
mikey_maestro Offline

Thanks Ian, nice site....

#315228 - 02/04/11 01:23 PM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I don't play NH gigs, Mikey, but, a friend who does work in that field, showed me this site that offers great suggestions.

http://www.seniorsentertainer.com/songs.html

So essentially, stop at the sixties, no seventies hardly at all... guitar

#315231 - 02/04/11 01:32 PM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: Diki]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Diki
So essentially, stop at the sixties, no seventies hardly at all... guitar

And how old was the people you're entertaining at the NH during the sixties? That's really some years ago now....
I think you'll be surprised about what songs to be appreciated, even 70's, 80's and more up to date stuff.

Keep on rockin' and rollin'
organ

Cheers
GJ

#315463 - 02/06/11 06:28 AM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
5 most requested tunes?

Tennessee Waltz
NY, NY
In The Mood
An older gospel song
God Bless America

I don't necessarily play all of them every show, but usually 2-3...

The tunes I've been playing over the last few weeks have included everything from Chattanooga Choo-Choo, Play that Funky Music, You are my Sunshine, Jailhouse Rock, Look what you've done to me, I shot the sheriff, to old Hank Williams stuff and even a George Straight tune called "The Fireman" (which was a request.) I'm also performing a song based off a very old love/folk song called "The Water is Wide" which is going over very well..

Plenty of oldies, 70-75% upbeat, pace the show to have peaks and valleys...keep them guessing.

With your skills and personality, Mikey-you should nail it.

smile

#315527 - 02/06/11 05:15 PM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
mikey_maestro Offline

Wow bill your top 5 surprised me. I remember ny, ny being a biggie and maybe in the mood.

I love water is wide. My favorite version is Karla bonoff / James Taylor

Thanks for responding to my post.

#315530 - 02/06/11 05:47 PM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
Dnj Offline

Mike every facility is different just pick and choose out of you repertoire on each gig to suit the audience & theme. Getting them involved on every song is a must also.. Good Luck

Carolina In the Morning

Let me Call you Sweetheart

It's a Sin to tell a Lie

Sweet Caroline

Thats Amore

Edited by Dnj (02/06/11 05:49 PM)

#315561 - 02/07/11 12:42 AM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: mikey_maestro]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
It won't be long before nursing home requests will be for oldies from The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beach Boys, Abba, MC Hammer, The Bee Gee's, Sting, etc.

Carolina In The Morning? naahhhh we wanna hear After Midnight by Eric Clapton.

Let Me Call You Sweetheart? What? How about All Out Of Love by Air Supply.

That's Amore? ha-ha can you play Another One Bites The Dust, or anything by Queen?

You get the picture...times are changing, including Nursing Homes

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315562 - 02/07/11 12:54 AM Re: Top 5 Most requested Nursing home songs [Re: lahawk]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
You're exactly right...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online