SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#315314 - 02/05/11 09:23 AM Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!!
Dnj Offline

#315394 - 02/05/11 07:58 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

40 people viewed...not one reply?

#315421 - 02/05/11 09:35 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Awesome!

When you getting one, Donny?!

That's some spectacularly talented players on some of those. The accordion/singer jazz duo sounded amazing. I'm just glad SOME countries still care about music that is PLAYED, and played well...

#315423 - 02/05/11 09:42 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Awesome!

When you getting one, Donny?!

That's some spectacularly talented players on some of those. The accordion/singer jazz duo sounded amazing. I'm just glad SOME countries still care about music that is PLAYED, and played well...

I just bought another Galente accordion last year .....Fran took me shopping. smile

Edited by Dnj (02/05/11 09:50 PM)

#315434 - 02/05/11 10:23 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, no V-Accordion? Just listen to how versatile they are!

Sure, not up to the best of the acoustic kind JUST as accordions (though pretty damn close!), but you saw how much more they can be.

It almost made me want to dust off my old squeezebox!

#315437 - 02/05/11 10:31 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

So, no V-Accordion? Just listen to how versatile they are!

Sure, not up to the best of the acoustic kind JUST as accordions (though pretty damn close!), but you saw how much more they can be.

It almost made me want to dust off my old squeezebox!

nah....just a nostalgic old timer to take out when the urge presents itself on special occasions.......got enough Accordion patches on my S910 wink

#315442 - 02/05/11 11:05 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Accordion is still very popular in the province of Newfoundland where the accordion is referred to as the "cardeen", especially by people from"around the bay" (from the more remote out-ports).

I remember one guy telling me, tongue-in-cheek of course, that no Newfie "cardeen" player was worth his salt if he couldn't play the Minute Waltz in 59 seconds or less.

They also called the accordion (piano or button) "the squeeze".

I was fortunate enough, when I lived in St.John's Newfoundland, to play piano with some pretty awesome button accordion players, including a few CBC Radio recordings nearly 20 years ago,(can't find them) with a lovely lady, Minnie White, who was playing well into her 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqIX8l9ADo

I still love the sound, only, like Donny, I play it mostly on the arranger today.

Ian

#315446 - 02/06/11 01:05 AM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Diki]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Awesome!

Ditto!

Things changes, also in the Accordeon world.
Has Roland ever made such show for arranger keyboardplayers? I can't remember any.
(Is there anyone else than Yamaha, who does someting similiar with Electone Performances?)

Most likely no more top Roland Arranger keyboards, they go for Accordeons and Arranger Modules ... rolleyes

Cheers
GJ

#315488 - 02/06/11 12:26 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... Just saw this ... It was difficult enough having to play all those classical pieces in the contests back in the day, but I could never kick that high laugh laugh laugh ... and it looks like they expect real production numbers now ...

#315496 - 02/06/11 01:25 PM Re: Accordion Contests Aren't What they used to be !!! [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
WOW ... Just saw this ... It was difficult enough having to play all those classical pieces in the contests back in the day, but I could never kick that high laugh laugh laugh ... and it looks like they expect real production numbers now ...

T......good to see people enjoying one of the great true SOLO instruments again.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online