SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 14 of 47 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47 >
Topic Options
#321334 - 04/09/11 12:40 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I always want the pitch bend & Mod wheel to the left of my keyboad...Why would I want it on a module??
No reason I can think of.

I guess if you bought or had a really low end keyboad without any controllers......you would want one on the module...

One reason I don't even consider a Clavinova...No freeking bend & mod wheels!

I am really more interestined in what this thing sounds like, and what styles I can use....

#321336 - 04/09/11 12:53 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I must be among the exceptional few that wouldn't leave home without my harmonizer. Granted, I no longer use the onboard harmonizer, and haven't for many years, but for really adding spice to live performances my harmonizer is a fantastic tool. And, singing dry--not a prayer. A little reverb sure goes a long way--even when you have an outstanding voice.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#321337 - 04/09/11 01:13 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

Wow, what a shame that most people you know that use arrangers are missing out on a fabulous tool, when mastered! My trademark sound has been my vocal group emulation and I would really miss it if the technology wasn't there to support it. I don't just turn it on and leave it on ... I finesse it.
I admit that most people I've heard that DO use harmonizers, don't seem to get the most out of them. It's an art form all to itself, and the singer must rethink the approach when using it.

I wouldn't say they feel they are missing out on a fabulous tool...from what I gather, most of them feel that all those vocal parts coming out of one microphone looks a tad phony.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the vocal harmonizer "live"...perhaps if it is used sparingly, but sounding like the Beach Boys or the Bee Gees isn't for me...I'd prefer that people were interested in my voice.

Again, it's a personal preference, just like how many parts of a style people use when playing, or if they only use a piano or electric piano in the RH (or on full keyboard) for the entire evening, and not use the Sax, Guitar, etc.

I suppose, since I'm primarily an instrumentalist, I just don't "get" using a harmonizer "live"...it looks bizarre to me, almost comical...like Karaoke on steroids... I know I'm not alone with that opinion.

For recording I am more open minded, I suppose, and I'll use any and all tools at my disposal, but one thing I will never do, is make a recording (a CD) that I can't reproduce "live".

Ian

#321338 - 04/09/11 01:23 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
I always want the pitch bend & Mod wheel to the left of my keyboad...Why would I want it on a module??

Most digital pianos do not have pitch/mod wheels, so if you are a piano player, and want to be able to pitch bend voices like guitar, sax (which are on the module) you would need some way of doing it.

Since the module is generally mounted on the left side of the piano, the wheel/bender/joystick would fall easily to hand.

I just think it would have been so easy for Roland to provide even a pedal controlled bender as one of the foot-switch functions, since this module is advertised for use with a midi-capable piano.

I do know that it is a deal breaker for me and several other players I've been speaking to who were considering it for use with a stage piano.

Ian

#321340 - 04/09/11 03:39 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The module only weighs 3 pounds. If it had a pitch bender the whole thing would move if you didn't fasten it down.
No need for one and no room for one.
DonM

#321342 - 04/09/11 03:50 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Well, all the more reason for a pedal function for pitch bend.

I can't believe they'd leave something that basic off the module.

At 3 lbs, you'd probably have to fasten it down with velcro anyway...even pushing the buttons would make it move around.

Ian

PS...Don, at only 3 lbs, you could always rig up a strap and wear it around your wrist.

#321344 - 04/09/11 04:03 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
...from what I gather, most of them feel that all those vocal parts coming out of one microphone looks a tad phony.

uh, you mean as opposed to a fully orchestrated big band coming out of ONE keyboard played by ONE guy? Now I'm really LOL.

chas

#321345 - 04/09/11 04:36 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
...from what I gather, most of them feel that all those vocal parts coming out of one microphone looks a tad phony.

uh, you mean as opposed to a fully orchestrated big band coming out of ONE keyboard played by ONE guy? Now I'm really LOL.

chas

That's different Chas...we've been doing that for years and never tried fooling anybody, not that any of us real musicians give a hoot.

Speaking of real, did you get yourself a real Hammond yet?

Ian

#321359 - 04/10/11 12:04 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: leeboy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: leeboy

Totally in agreement with this. I would never perform using a keyboard without a mod and pitch wheel.

#321363 - 04/10/11 02:00 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Ah well, it's hopeless!

I can't convince anyone that Roland's new module should have at least had a pedal controlled pitch bend.

I'm giving up...back to the T4 and total bliss.(Did I mention the great new Jazz Trumpet?)

I wish everyone who gets a BK-7m the best of luck with it (and I honestly hope Chas finally gets a real Hammond, too!)...even if he no longer considers me a friend.(sniff)

Ian

Page 14 of 47 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online