SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 17 of 47 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 46 47 >
Topic Options
#321586 - 04/12/11 07:33 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
Hey Guys,

I've been away for a few days because I was doing a demo event in my store with BK7m at the weekend. It was very successful and we sold quite a number of them. I used the Roland A800-Pro controller for my demonstration. The aftertouch pitchbend worked brilliantly on it too.

Ian, I hear that you would like a pitchbend controller included, and think it is an ommission. To be fair, it could have been done (probably) but as everyone else has said, most people who want it will buy a controller with the correct facilities. People prefer to have the pitchbender on the keyboard. For this reason I believe that it would be silly to include it on the device as it would add to the cost and weight of the unit, and suit few people. I also don't think Roland need support Yamaha's sales of NP30 etc

I had a Roland Pro-E many years ago, but it did have a very small keyboard on it (it was rather like the RA50) so it could be argued it wasn't a module.

For those asking about old styles working with this... I have a collection stretching back to the E86, and everything works really well on the BK-7m. They sound a bit fresher with the mastering processors.

During my demonstration my customers spoke about the clarity of sound the module had. TBH I had not particularly noticed it before then, but when you listen closely, you really can hear all the instruments very clearly, with no muffling. I was extremely impressed again.

To all of those who seem to want to pick a brand fight, I'd say this. All the manufacturers now make good gear (on the whole.) What we are really talking about in terms of differences is varying degrees of good. Personally I have liked the Roland sound for a number of years, but respect those who like others. It's not worth falling out about!

#321587 - 04/12/11 07:37 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Sweentech1]
Sweentech1 Offline

Sorry... the reason I mentioned the Pro-E was because it had a pitchbend joystick on it.

#321589 - 04/12/11 07:50 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Sweentech1 Offline

Hmmmm... just loaded the v1.05 update. thanks for the heads-up. This contains some new features....

1. Switch melody Inteligence on and off with FC-7 footswitch
2. 2 New drum kits and 39 new sounds.

All the new sounds are 'oriental.'

I suppose someone must have asked for them!

#321591 - 04/12/11 07:57 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Sweentech1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Sweentech1

Ian, I hear that you would like a pitchbend controller included, and think it is an ommission. To be fair, it could have been done (probably) but as everyone else has said, most people who want it will buy a controller with the correct facilities. People prefer to have the pitchbender on the keyboard. For this reason I believe that it would be silly to include it on the device as it would add to the cost and weight of the unit, and suit few people. I also don't think Roland need support Yamaha's sales of NP30 etc

During my demonstration my customers spoke about the clarity of sound the module had. TBH I had not particularly noticed it before then, but when you listen closely, you really can hear all the instruments very clearly, with no muffling. I was extremely impressed again.

Actually, it wasn't a priority to have the bender on the module, but to have the facility to bend via pedal...no big deal, but, Yamaha users have had this function for quite some time on arranger keyboards (which also have pitch bend/mod wheels), so it just made even more sense for a Module (which has neither) to have it.

Accordion players would like it I'm sure, and most Roland stage pianos don't have pitch/mod wheels, so it's not a matter of supporting Yamaha P-95/NP-30, but underpinning Roland's own line. Plus, not all my clients use Yamaha gear exclusively.

As far as the BK-7m sound clarity...I noticed it right away, and this was on on-line demos...I have personally played G-70 and E-80/60/50 and to my ears the module has far more detail, especially in the styles...the murkiness that was in most of the styles on older Roland arrangers, seems to be gone. Perhaps it is better factory settings for the EQ/Part, but whatever they've done, it is a good thing.

As far as gear wars...that will always happen to a degree...we all have our own idea of what we want to hear coming from our speakers, and it's just a simple task to buy what has that sound...the problems arise when people try to push their idea of sound on another...that will never work, especially if done in an undiplomatic manner, which seems to happen on SZ from time to time.

Personally, I used to work for Roland, and I really like their sound. I just happen to like Yamaha's sound a little more.

Ian

g do

#321657 - 04/12/11 08:26 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: technicsgiedrius]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
That is so true but people still use them effectively as well as the Midijay etc, so it depends on using what you can get your hands on at the time. Same as keyboards, some still use an older board but love it to death lol.

taz

#321675 - 04/13/11 02:39 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

In regards to Roland' s "Pressure Variant Pitch Deviation" mentioned above, it appears it is not actual pitch bending as one would get from a wheel or a pedal.

Roland's description...

"The V-Accordion's PBM (Physical Behavior Modeling) sound generator simulates each individual reed sound of an acoustic accordion. It then independently controls them according to the movement of the bellows, just as an acoustic accordion generates a sound. In this way, the V-Accordion reproduces the sound of an acoustic accordion at the fundamental level. It fully expresses every nuance of the player’s expression, reproducing even the slightest differences in tone, volume, and pitch in response to the bellows movement.

For example, on an acoustic accordion, a reed sounds at the correct pitch as long as the bellows are moved gently. When the bellows are moved strongly, however, the reed sound’s pitch will be detuned. This phenomenon occurs more notably as the reed size becomes larger. When multiple reeds are sounded simultaneously, the amount of detuning varies reed by reed, resulting in the distinctive rich resonance of the accordion. The V-Accordion’s PBM sound generator simulates the pitch variation of an acoustic accordion’s reeds in response to the movement of the bellows, recreating its rich resonance."

Pretty clever stuff...but it ain't pitch bending. frown

Ian

#321774 - 04/13/11 03:03 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Diki]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
My BK7m arrived today - no sleep tonight!
Hammer

#321778 - 04/13/11 03:22 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
My BK7m arrived today - no sleep tonight!
Hammer

Cool! Looking forward to your impressions, Hammer.

Congratulations.

Ian

#321798 - 04/13/11 04:35 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Sweentech1 Offline

Hi Ian,

Sorry...

Quote "Pretty clever stuff...but it ain't pitch bending. "

I'm afraid you are wrong. It is pitch bending. Have you ever heard a Roland V-Accordion in the flesh? We sell them in our store, and having heard many very skillful players using them I can confirm that with the correct technique (the same as with a reed accordion) they do pitchbend correctly.

Also, you mention that most Roland stage pianos cannot pitchbend on their own. Well, I'm afraid once again you are wong there. The FP4 and FP7 can both have pitchbend up or down assigned to a pedal (I thought so but had to refer to my manual as I don't play my FP4 as often as I probably should!) and of course the RD series has the usual Roland pitch/mod joystick. Even in the home piano series, many models have the ability to have pitchbend assigned to a footpedal, again either up or down. I specifically checked out the HP207 as it's manual was available.)

Now... can we move on?

#321799 - 04/13/11 05:02 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

So, the accordion will bend a note, for example a sax or guitar, at least 2 semi-tones or more, up or down?

I'd really like to hear that being done, Sweenie. I also notice you said "very skillful" players". I have feeling the range would be very limited for the average player, if they could get it to bend at all.

I do know I sold a lot of RA-50/90 etc. to accordion players, so it will be grabbed up by that bunch for sure.

I also checked the FP-4/7 manuals just before I saw your post, and I'm glad to see the pianos have pitch bend on the pedals; that's a good thing. I applaud Roland for having the sense to do it.

I still feel the module should be able to respond via a pedal input to itself, but, that's my preference, and that won't change, and, I will still advise my clients of that situation,...but, yes, we can certainly move on...I won't belabour the issue any more. I promise.

Ian

Page 17 of 47 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online