SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 15 of 47 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 46 47 >
Topic Options
#321365 - 04/10/11 02:06 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Ah well, it's hopeless!

I can't convince anyone that Roland's new module should have at least had a pedal controlled pitch bend.

I'm giving up...back to the T4 and total bliss.

Ian

Really, would you be running something like this from a controller that doesn't have a pitch bend control?

#321367 - 04/10/11 02:12 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
76 semi weighted keys, aftertouch, wheels, cheap!!!

The Cakewalk/Roland A-800 mentioned above is very good (IMHO) regarding key feel. Not a G-70, but leaning towards it. Plenty of controls.

I also think the best in terms of controls/programmability is the Novation SL MKII. It also has a X/Y pad in addition to a pitch/mod lever.

#321368 - 04/10/11 02:29 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Ah well, it's hopeless!

I can't convince anyone that Roland's new module should have at least had a pedal controlled pitch bend.

I'm giving up...back to the T4 and total bliss.

Ian

Really, would you be running something like this from a controller that doesn't have a pitch bend control?

Well Nigel, I have considered using it with a Yamaha P-95, and would probably (I'm serious, now) recommend the BK-7m to any of my P-95/NP-30 clients wanting a very portable piano based arranger...the BK-7m has ON BASS (reads chord inversions) and some other pro features that aren't on Yamaha's piano based arrangers like the NPV80.

Certainly, a controller with the wheels would be better, but I'm just thinking of those who already have a lightweight digital piano that doesn't have pitch/mod wheels.

I still think the BK-7m is a great module, and maybe, just maybe, it might influence Yamaha and Korg to make one of their own.

Ian

PS...Yamaha's S-series and all Tyros have a pedal controlled pitch bend function (up or down...not both at the same time), and I've used it quite often, so that's why I think it would be a nice easy to implement feature on the BK-7m.

#321373 - 04/10/11 04:34 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Quote from Ian's post "Well, all the more reason for a pedal function for pitch bend.

I can't believe they'd leave something that basic off the module."

Ian, you have pitchbend on Bk-7m afterall.

Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YhEVA7gLXU&feature=related

Text under video "I have assigned pitchbend to aftertouch and now have full control of it at my finger-tips."

#321374 - 04/10/11 05:04 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Quote from Ian's post "Well, all the more reason for a pedal function for pitch bend.

I can't believe they'd leave something that basic off the module."

Ian, you have pitchbend on Bk-7m afterall.

Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YhEVA7gLXU&feature=related

Text under video "I have assigned pitchbend to aftertouch and now have full control of it at my finger-tips."

Thanks Frank...that's pretty darn cool. I believe it would still be an issue with a digital piano that doesn't have aftertouch (most do not).

However, it is nice to see them add that kind of control. Would that kind of feature appeal to you?

Ian

#321380 - 04/10/11 05:35 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Quote from Ian Would that kind of feature appeal to you?

Well Ian I'm not a pitch bend maniac but yes I would like to have it, if it's available.

I really love the effect applied on that beautiful guitar sound in that video, he really nails that sound from the Chris Isaacs original, beautiful!

Cheers

#321381 - 04/10/11 05:42 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie
I really love the effect applied on that beautiful guitar sound in that video, he really nails that sound from the Chris Isaacs original, beautiful!

Cheers

The more we hear this new module, the more impressive it sounds. The guy has a nice style of playing.

Having pitch bend on aftertouch would be something I'd have to get used to, but it is very nice to see them adding that feature.

Maybe there might be a workaround to get the foot-switch to do a pitch bend?

Ian

#321424 - 04/10/11 04:25 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Everyone that decided to buy a digital piano without a pitch bend device already made the decision that bending things is NOT their cuppa tea. Most modern stage pianos have sounds in them that OUGHT to be bent, occasionally, but there isn't one on the keyboard. Hence, no interest in it... After all, most pianos are played by PIANISTS. Not arranger players, synth players, WS players, etc..

How cleanly the arranger responds to REAL pianism is going to be their primary objective. To this end, Roland have also brought back (FINALLY) the 'chord recognition off' command, assignable to a footswitch, so that a played chord can be 'held', while the pianist (or MIDI guitarist, or whatever) plays whatever the hell they feel like, and the chord won't change (which normal 'pianist mode' usually freaks if you play more than two notes). Stick this under your left foot while your right does sustain, you ought to be able to play VERY naturally with far fewer chord tracking issues...

I'm pretty sure that's going to matter a LOT more to a pianist than no footpedal controlled bend... wink

BTW, that Novation looks like the perfect layout for the BK-7m. You really ARE going to need to put it close to your LH, for doing Var and fill selection (unless you are like me and do it all with your feet!), and the Roland has a boatload of buttons and controls JUST where you'd need it. The CME 76 looks like an odd duck... not sure I like that low A- high C range, I prefer a low E-high G, simply to put a low E for four string bass parts, but no doubt you could get used to it. It has room for the BK, too, but it's a hair too far to the left for me. But better than the Roland, still...

#321462 - 04/11/11 01:17 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
technicsgiedrius Offline

Loc: Lithuania / Europe
Is it worth to buy it or not?

#321504 - 04/11/11 11:03 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is worth it to me. However, mine is on the back for exchange because of a USB problem.
Can't wait to get the new one.
DonM

Page 15 of 47 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online