SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 13 of 47 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47 >
Topic Options
#321307 - 04/09/11 09:29 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I don't know what Yamaha have to do with Roland's BK-7m design flaws (and/or omissions), so why bother bringing them up, unless it's another smokescreen to hide Roland behind...that stuff gets tiring real quick.

I could tell you what "gets tiring real quick", but then I'd risk losing one of my few remaining friends on Synthzone. I say, give it a rest. The guys that are actually BUYING one could care less about this issue and besides, there probably aren't three people on this forum that use a digital piano as their primary instrument for gigging; and if you're in the studio, you probably have SOMEthing with a pitch bend lever or wheel on it.

Sorry guys, but I had to take some Milk of Magnesia this morning so I'm already nauseous.

chas

What can also be nauseous is the appearance of self-appointed forum moderators.

Pass me that Milk of Magnesia please, will you, Chas...if you have any left, and if I am still your friend?

Ian

#321309 - 04/09/11 09:45 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ian, no one dislikes self-appointed moderators more than I do, and this 'discussion' wouldn't bother me at all if I thought you guys were even semi-serious; but we all know that you're not. Every single word is posted with one intent; to get a rise out of the other side. And while it probably brings a lot of personal entertainment to you two, the rest of us see it as just 'ragging' on a product because of it's brand name, picking out petty little insignificant factoids and hailing them as major design flaws. Yes, of course you're still my friend. I just think it sometimes gets a little boring for you up their in the wilds of Cape Breton smile . So then it becomes "let's yank Diki's chain" day. Go out and buy your girlfriend a present.

chas

#321310 - 04/09/11 09:59 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles

The guys that are actually BUYING one could care less about this issue and besides, there probably aren't three people on this forum that use a digital piano as their primary instrument for gigging; and if you're in the studio, you probably have SOMEthing with a pitch bend lever or wheel on it.

chas

Hi again, Chas,

Now, to address the more topic-pertinent part of your post.

If you read the features of the BK-7m, you will see that it says it's intended for midi-capable pianos...actually it says' "midi-capable pianos" first, so we can gather it's much like the ingredients on a food item, so the most used ingredient is first. wink

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1141

Maybe, just maybe, people on this forum are not using a lightweight digital piano as their primary instrument for gigging, is because there aren't any that have professional enough arranger features to make the player want to use one.

So, with a BK-7m, those who enjoy using 88 keys could finally bring a piano to their gigs...they certainly are light enough, even for old farts like you and I.

However, there are those who like to use a pitch bender for guitar, sax, etc...other keyboard based arrangers have BOTH a pitch bend wheel/bender and a pitch bending pedal function...why would it be too much to ask for Roland to provide such a simple, yet effective solution to the 99% of digital pianos that don't have bender/wheels/paddles/?

If these points are not brought out in discussions, how will Roland be aware of what players actually need?

As it's been said earlier, they don't ever do customer surveys, so, this, and the Roland arranger forum, may be the only place users get to speak about what they'd like to see on the next module (maybe they can even update via software?).

Ian

#321311 - 04/09/11 10:24 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Question Ian

How many Arranger modules (From any manufacture) have or have had a Pitch Bend Wheel?

I can't think of one

Bill

#321316 - 04/09/11 10:51 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Question Bill.

Why don't arranger modules have pitch bend wheel?

I can't think of any reasons why they should not.

Not all intended controllers have wheels/benders/joysticks.

A pedal function wouldn't be that much extra cost, do you think?

Here you are asking, "Why?"

I am asking, "Why not?".

Ian

BTW, Yamaha used to make a midi controller with wheels and other features called the MCS2 Midi Control Station...you could set on your piano and it gave you all kinds of control...adding a wheel to a module isn't much of a stretch, in my opinion.

#321320 - 04/09/11 11:04 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Why don't arranger modules have pitch bend wheel?

All modules should respond to pitchbend, so it's up to the user to get the controller that best fits their needs. As much as I like playing bends, in the 99% of the rest of my night - I'm the singer, banging out the chords to the dance tunes that people respond most to. The controller is a much more personal instrument than the module needs to be. I just want good, solid sounds and strong dance beats - the rest comes from the moment and me.
Tonight I have to do a piano-ish thing in Avalon NJ ... a bit early for the transient crowds, but just in time for the seasonal owners that get their summer cottages ready for the heatwaves. I'll hardly turn on the drums, and I might not even use reverb on my mic .. it's an intimate setting, right behind the bar, on the beach .... gimmicks don't come off as well in this setting, so I stick to basics - human emotion and musical energy.
No pitch bend required!
smile

#321323 - 04/09/11 11:13 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Pitch bending isn't a "gimmick" David...it is an art in itself, especially on keyboards.

An essential skill for any keyboardist/synthesist.

Ian

#321331 - 04/09/11 11:58 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Uncle Dave Offline

Ian, I refer to all the auto stuff as gimmicks in this situation. The instrument at the club actually has a bender, but it won't get used on my nights.
It's only essential where it's appropriate, and this is not one of those cases.
I will miss my harmonizer, but there is a "purist" technique that only comes out when I sing "dry", and I seem to alter my approach to fit the occasion. It's actually refreshing on the rare times I use this type of setup.

#321332 - 04/09/11 12:07 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Most people that I know that use an arranger for vocals, rarely, if ever use the harmonizer...they find it too gimmicky.

I think it would be great for recording, but, I wouldn't use it live either.

I like playing without accompaniment too...keeps the piano chops up. One night, I played a whole set using an acoustic guitar sound instead of piano...of course, this was in a restaurant setting, so it was easy to do. It went over quite well.

Best wishes on your gig tonight.

Ian

#321333 - 04/09/11 12:34 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: ianmcnll]
Uncle Dave Offline

Most people that I know that use an arranger for vocals, rarely, if ever use the harmonizer...

Wow, what a shame that most people you know that use arrangers are missing out on a fabulous tool, when mastered! My trademark sound has been my vocal group emulation and I would really miss it if the technology wasn't there to support it. I don't just turn it on and leave it on ... I finesse it.
I admit that most people I've heard that DO use harmonizers, don't seem to get the most out of them. It's an art form all to itself, and the singer must rethink the approach when using it.

Apples, oranges .... whatever you like, but the only thing holding me back from using this Nord E3 ( which I LOVE ) is the lack of easy to use harmonizer. I'd have to bring 2 or three more pieces, and it just wouldn't be practical. My keyboard need to serve as a vocal processor, monitor, and sound source. Anything less, and I'd have to charge more! smile For now, the PA800 is invaluable to me.

Page 13 of 47 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online