SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 47 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 46 47 >
Topic Options
#321148 - 04/07/11 07:30 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You also interested in the BK 7M Ian? It's a nice addon on your Tyros 4

#321149 - 04/07/11 07:54 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: FransN
You also interested in the BK 7M Ian? It's a nice addon on your Tyros 4

Actually, it would make a nice addition to a Yamaha P-95 or NP-30 piano, since they both have midi, and both are very portable.

My new Tyros4 is still amazing me...I almost bought the S910 before I sold it off as a demo...I'm glad I waited and tried the Tyros4. It sounded incredible right out of the box, and now I've started to customize the styles and set up registrations...plus, I've ordered an expression pedal (FC-7) to better control the awesome new organ sounds.

Using a BK-7m with the Tyros4 would just make things too complicated, and it really wouldn't add anything, in my opinion, but it would be a perfect addition to any digital piano...with an NP-30 (or even a P-95) it would weigh a great deal less than a big old G-70, and, if it sounds as good in person, as it does in the demos, it just might sound better too. The styles sound very nicely detailed and separated.

I used their arranger modules in the past (RA-50, RA-90/95) and this one looks like another winner to me.

Ian

#321160 - 04/07/11 10:50 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
From what I've heard so far, I don't think I can say it sounds BETTER than my G70, although in the drum department there is more choice. But I t5hink we are finally seeing Roland fine tune the style programming to something acceptable OOTB, which the last few arrangers weren't, in all honesty. And the use of the extra ruff and flam samples is better utilized. It's not so much that the G70 didn't have them, it's just that not too many styles were written that used them, IMO.

I only wish I had got this a couple of weeks ago, as I had a ton of time to kill. Last week, I couldn't BUY a gig! This week, I can't buy a day off... Typical seaside town, I suppose!

One use of the BK that really intrigues me is as a back end to my KX-5 keytar. It can't call up anything on the BK (old Yamaha gear only sent the first 64 MIDI PC#'s and no CC00/32 at all), but the Performance list can be set to FC-7 switches (up/down) and OTS can call up all the patches I would need. I mean, just for jamming with bands, it looks doable, and as a front end to a sequenced, MP3's and limited arranger use gig, I might be able to put something together entirely driven from the KX-5! That might be neat...

I've been using an old M-GS64 module for the KX-5 for donkey's years, and it really needs something a bit more modern. This might be the poo!

And, don't dismiss this so lightly Ian... even with the T4, this thing might add back the punchy drums that only the new kits provide. Just in case you get a more up front gig...

The more I play this, the more I'm impressed. Most of an E80, with better balanced and programmed styles, at a quarter of the price. Not too shabby!

#321167 - 04/07/11 11:59 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
Hello everyone. I am Sweentech.. the guy uploading all the videos... though now with a bullet in my head! Wow... that hurts!

For your information, i saw this at the NAMM show in Anaheim in January and preordered one as soon as I got back to the UK. I love it. It is very simple to operate, and does do bossanovas etc. I didn't want my first few videos to have that kind of music though because I wanted to show what the BK-7m does which is a bit different. Every arranger worth its salt can be used to play 'in the mood' just like the BK-7m. But we all know this. Unfortunately I wasn't a member here before.... I have been trying to join since the weekend to discuss this module with you since you have all found my videos. I found this site through the referral data from my videos. These are the first videos I have ever put on YouTube.

I also own a G70 and have owned over the years EM2000, G1000, VA7, VA76 etc so have a bit of history with Roland arrangers. In my store, we have tyros 4 which is a good keyboard. To me though for £3500 it is very plasticy and doesn't look like it is worth that much. The styles are very well programmed. I know Martin Harris who is in charge of the content in it, and I know how he goes about programming them with his team. However, for me they are too complicated and over-fussy. I often spend time muting parts of the style just so I can have something to play. Even with the BK-7m I still mute a few parts here and there. The make-up tools are still unique, with the variety of change they offer you... paticularly the user assignable effects in the styles (up to 3 at once) and individual part EQ (right down to individual drum instrument sounds). I also like that I can get into the basic envelope and filter parameters on any sound. This is not just usable for 'dance' music, but also in some of the classical stuff I do. Changing the attack rate and release on a string patch can really help you play a lovely legato style.

Anyway as you can see, I have used this module to refresh my aging Yamaha HX-1. Having 2 x 61 note keyboards and a 25 note pedal board, all with initial and after touch makes this a great midi controller, but the sounds are hopeless nowadays. However I have owned one for 20 odd years and wont part with it. I had been using my Sonic Cell with it, but find the flexibilty of the BK-7m and instantaneousness of it far more appealling. I would recommend it to anyone. It only weighs 1.7kgs for heavens sake! I'm not sure about the US, but here in the UK I get a free 3 year warranty from Roland too.

It would work well with a NP30 or P95, butIi would caution anyone using one with an NP30 as I don't think it's build quality is up to much. It feels very flimsy to me. Just my opinion though.

Of course there is no proof like tasting the pudding itself so why don't you go to your local dealer and experience this for yourself. I don't think you will regret trying it at least!

Regards

Sweentech

#321168 - 04/08/11 12:08 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki

And, don't dismiss this so lightly Ian... even with the T4, this thing might add back the punchy drums that only the new kits provide. Just in case you get a more up front gig...

As I said already, Diki, I don't need the complications of running two arrangers, especially when I have one as powerful as the Tyros4.

I'm supposing you haven't played a Tyros4 yet?

The drums are plenty punchy...remember, there are new kits in the T4 that aren't in other Tyros models.

Where I see the value of the BK-7m is with a digital piano, especially the lighter models with dedicated midi (P-95/NP-30)...it still doesn't address the fact that the BK-7m will not play Yamaha styles, and perhaps this will make a big difference to most of my clients. I also believe it should work just peachy with the Roland FP-series.

Listening to the BK-7m, I can hear more detail in the parts playing...more so than I hear in on-line recordings of the G-70/E-80...could be an EQ thing, maybe, but if the BK-7m has EQ for each part (and I believe it does) then the factory has done a great job in the out-of-the-box setup.

The local Long&McQuade music store is bringing one in when available, so I'll try one out on a P-95 to see if it's worth recommending.

Ian

#321175 - 04/08/11 02:39 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
technicsgiedrius Offline

Loc: Lithuania / Europe
Hello everyone ... I'm also interested in BK7m ...
What do you think he or only the M-Audio keystation 88 through ...?

#321181 - 04/08/11 04:44 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Sweentech1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Sweentech1
Hello everyone. I am Sweentech.. the guy uploading all the videos... though now with a bullet in my head! Wow... that hurts!

Welcome Sweentech1, sorry for the 'rough' intro to Synthzone world. As Diki pointed out, it was much more of a response to the lethal mixture of modern dance music and a bunch of ol' codgers, than about you personally. It's just our usual cruel and insensitive way of saying "this is not our favorite musical genre'".

Since I am patiently awaiting mine (BK7m), I'm happy to see another member/technical resource owning this instrument. Sounds like the reviews so far are overwhelmingly positive. I too, have a SonicCell which, I suspect, will become redundant, since I also have a Fantom G7. I wanted to control mine with my VP-770 but unfortunately, that instrument does not transmit (or receive) aftertouch, and I suppose that would affect the RH voices. I'll probably hook it up to my (ancient but still flexible) Roland A70 controller - 76 keys and a good keybed.

Good luck and again, welcome to the 'zone.

chas

#321186 - 04/08/11 06:06 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
FransN Offline

Typical Americans Sweentech. First shoot then talk hahaha.
Just kidding guys.

#321193 - 04/08/11 06:36 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: FransN]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: FransN
Typical Americans Sweentech. First shoot then talk hahaha.

Yep, that's us, alright. READY, FIRE, AIM.

chas

#321194 - 04/08/11 06:39 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
FransN Offline

Yep Dirty Harry style hahaha

Edited by FransN (04/08/11 06:43 AM)

Page 10 of 47 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online