SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#326123 - 06/08/11 12:53 AM Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Went to our local club last night to have a listen to Daniel Watt on his new setup http://www.danielwatt.com/page89/page89.html and was surprised to find that it has been updated even further, with the 9000 pro replaced with a PA3x and the PA2x now used as the lower keyboard.

The performance was cracking, as while some of the old standard tunes were included, they were arranged as if played by a modern band, rather than being totally nostalgic and which I liked a lot.

Back to the keyboards, this is the first time I have heard the PA3x live and what a sound it produces, it also easily answered the question of which was the better of the 2, the T4 or PA3x, (As I have now heard both live) and the answer is both. (See below)

The T4 has good musicians (Including some outstanding ones) that have been playing together for years, and really sound top notch, whereas the Korg has a fantastic amount of outstanding musicians (Only a few ordinary souls) but don’t gel well together and need a lot more practice together to get a cohesive sound.

Depending on what you want from an instrument will determine which is best for you, but both are top notch and just as good as each other.

PA2x Pa3x
This is also easy to answer, in that like all keyboards while the basic sound engine is getting on a bit, it has been refined over the years, and so it goes like this.

PA1x: Sounds like you are hearing the musicians from a distance and playing behind a curtain.

PA2x: Sounds like you’re hearing the musicians from a distance, but they are now happy to be seen playing live with some great new solo artists.

PA3x: You’re now at the front of the venue where you are getting the full weight of the band and musicianship.

I hope you find the above informative, and will convince you to go and have listen to the instruments yourself, not forgetting Daniel Watt as well if he is in your area.

Bill

#326126 - 06/08/11 02:05 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: abacus
The T4 has good musicians (Including some outstanding ones) that have been playing together for years, and really sound top notch

the Korg has a fantastic amount of outstanding musicians (Only a few ordinary souls) but don’t gel well together and need a lot more practice together to get a cohesive sound.

Depending on what you want from an instrument will determine which is best for you

Hi Bill. First of all, many thanks for sharing your thoughts on the PA3X following Daniel Watt's impressive show. Especially interesting to hear he's now opted the modern instrument sound vs nostalgic sound approach.

You initially stated that both the T4 and PA3X sound superb yet then state that the Korg PA3X sounds like a bunch of musicians (though oustanding individually) , that don't gel well together. shocked This certainly doesn't sound to me like much of a ringing endorsement of the PA3X as a professional level sounding back up "band", but only impressive when used for playing one individual instrument at a time? The sound of the 'sum of it's' parts' is a critically essential component of an arranger keyboard, so based on that I'm unclear how you conclude the PA3x to be an equally top notch sounding arranger as the Tyros 4.

That said, for what specific arranger keyboard performance situation would you utilize the PA3X over the Tyros 4, and vice versa?

#326137 - 06/08/11 04:26 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Digging into the specifications for the Pa3x, one can't help but wonder where the sound engine came from. The specifications state:

PA3X
----
"Enhanced RX (Real eXperience) sound engine offers improved realism and new vivid sound, including pianos borrowed from the acclaimed Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano, plus Ambience Drums"

KORG EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator: 120 Voices, 120 Oscillators – RX (Real eXperience) Technology - DNC (Defined Nuance Control) - Natural Ambience Drums Sound - Filters with Resonance - Three band EQ for each track

PA2X
----
KORG EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator: 120 Voices, 120 Oscillators – Filters with Resonance - Three band EQ for each track

They didn't borrow any technology from the Kronos or the Oasis other than the EDS sound engine. It looks like it's the same sound engine from the Pa2x. They may have upgraded the effects and filters a bit since they added "ambience" drums.

So sound wise, I don't see where there is any difference from the Pa2x; ON PAPER.

Same Sound engine, same RX Experience = Same Sound.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#326139 - 06/08/11 05:33 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: kbrkr]
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
So sound wise, I don't see where there is any difference from the Pa2x; ON PAPER.

From the Korg Pa3x page on korg.com:

1) Professional Final Mastering tools from “Waves Audio” plugins “MaxxAudio ™ ” suite.

2) Up to 8 Stereo Effects at once, including flexible Master and Insert routing for Styles and songs. New Vintage Effects from the acclaimed SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano

These are clearly improvements. The Pa2x/Pa800 did only have 4 stereo effects and apart from the equalizer there was no user control of the mastering stage. I remember that my Pa800 had a somewhat overly compressed sound. I would guess that the Waves plugins sound much better.

#326141 - 06/08/11 06:33 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: kbrkr]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Digging into the specifications for the Pa3x, one can't help but wonder where the sound engine came from. The specifications state:

PA3X
----
"Enhanced RX (Real eXperience) sound engine offers improved realism and new vivid sound, including pianos borrowed from the acclaimed Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano, plus Ambience Drums"

KORG EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator: 120 Voices, 120 Oscillators – RX (Real eXperience) Technology - DNC (Defined Nuance Control) - Natural Ambience Drums Sound - Filters with Resonance - Three band EQ for each track

PA2X
----
KORG EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator: 120 Voices, 120 Oscillators – Filters with Resonance - Three band EQ for each track

They didn't borrow any technology from the Kronos or the Oasis other than the EDS sound engine. It looks like it's the same sound engine from the Pa2x. They may have upgraded the effects and filters a bit since they added "ambience" drums.

Yamaha use the same sound engine AWM almost 20 years on their arrangers and synths. No difference there also

#326144 - 06/08/11 08:07 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

It looks like it's the same sound engine from the Pa2x. They may have upgraded the effects and filters a bit since they added "ambience" drums.

Not much difference on paper, Al, and, I'm still inclined to say, there is not much difference sound wise.

If I play a Tyros3 and Tyros4 side by side, I can hear a difference, not just in individual sounds and styles, but overall as well. Having played both instruments for quite some time, the difference is more than subtle in my opinion.

Going by the on-line demos for the PA2X and PA3X, I can't hear much difference at all, and, unfortunately, that's the only way most people have to compare the two, as very few places are stocking and showing the latter.

Have you played a PA3X, Al? Do you know someone who has, and whose judgement would be unbiased and reliable?

So far, I have experienced neither one, but hopefully, this will soon be ameliorated.

Ian

#326145 - 06/08/11 08:34 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: ianmcnll]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...

#326146 - 06/08/11 08:44 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

I still say after hearing all the demos on both and comparing specs...

KORG PA3x = great "features" for live play.

Yamaha Tyros4 = unmatched sounds and styles.

#326147 - 06/08/11 08:46 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Saswick

Yes, I have talked with Miden.

He wrote to me, and I quote verbatim, "Now that I have had the PA3 for a couple of hours, the sound, whilst not QUITE at the T4 level, is very very close to the T4."

I thought the same thing with some of the sounds, but I still find the overall Korg sound, one-dimensional, as do several others...mind you, this is from listening on-line. "Hands on" may change opinions, and then, it may not.

The OS systems are basically something one really likes or finds cumbersome. Dennis preferred the Korg, as he is already very familiar with that system, so that is hardly surprising.

Some find Yamaha OS more intuitive, and some like Korg.

It was great to hear Dennis's impressions, but we still need more "hands on" reports, in my opinion.

Ian

#326148 - 06/08/11 08:51 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: FransN]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Frans what is your obsession with countering every friggin conversation with an anti-tyros sentiment? I get that you don't like the keyboard. Who Cares?

I owned a Pa2xpro. I wanted to love it. I wanted to see Korg come out with a better keyboard. I'm trying to analyze what they did come out with.

Give it a friggin' rest will ya?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online