SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#326603 - 06/16/11 04:26 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
I checked both procedures of Harry and Audrey.
The one of Harry seems to be the correct way.
With Audrey procedure not only the sequencer song transposes but also the current panel, so also the play along and sequencer song still does not match the key of my sheet music.
Thanks Harry for solvng this problem for me.
Thanks Audrey for paying attention to my question.
Bert

#326628 - 06/16/11 04:49 PM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Bert,

Maybe you didn't need to be in the Expand Mode, just the Panel Memory - I don't know, but I have to say Harry's version sounds more feasible to me.

This is interesting though - you learn something everyday don't you.

Happy playing!

Audrey

#326643 - 06/17/11 01:36 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Another final thought Bert might be to delete the other player's sequence and re-record it yourself using his/her settings in the key that suits you. Other than that Harry's description is correct but a real pain in the proverbial to complete.

#326645 - 06/17/11 02:31 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: RMepstead]
Bert Aarts Offline

Thanks Roger for your suggestion. Normally I play along with R1, R2, L1 and ACP. In that case I am missing the extra parts that are included in most sequencer songs.
Bert

#326646 - 06/17/11 03:11 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
RMepstead Offline

Ah...right hand only I guess...?

#326653 - 06/17/11 05:21 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: RMepstead]
Bert Aarts Offline

No, not right hand only. I play melody and chords by switching off RT1, RT2, LFT and APC tracks.
You will probably know the Jaybirds who published sequencer songs and corresponding sheet music on www.keso.nl in the past? They offered this possibility. Also Phill Newell offers sequencer songs with corresponding sheet music on Bill's website (beautiful songs!). However a lot of sequencer songs are available on the web without the corresponding sheet music, so I was looking for a way to match with the sheet music I have. Harries solution makes this possible.
Bert

#326659 - 06/17/11 06:29 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I fully appreciate that English is not Harry's native language and although the procedure described by him is correct, it may help to describe it again.....
There are several possibilities as far as a recorded sequence is concerned :

a. It was originally recorded as an 'Easy Record' sequence.... probably the most common form.
OR
b. It was recorded as a full Multi Track sequence - Like our friend Larry Gosmeyer's recordings - or it is a MIDI file.

a. An 'Easy Record' sequence will normally only utilise the first Six tracks ie. RT1, RT2, Left, P4, APC and CTL. Some of these tracks may or may not actually be used during the original recording...... P4 is often used as the Technichord Track to allow individual Volume and/or sound setting.

b. A Multi-Track sequence, or MIDI sequence can use any of the tracks, up to the available 16 parts and does not normally use the APC track, so the Built-In or Composer Styles are not used.

c. There is also a kind of 'Hybrid' sequence, which was originally recorded using the 'Easy Record' method, to produce the basic arrangement, but had additional tracks, such as Brass 'Figures' or accents in a Big Band sequence, added after the 'Easy Record' operation.

The method of recording can easily be determined by looking at the used tracks in the Sequencer Play screen, after the sequence has been loaded. All used tracks will have a Green 'PLAY' Icon above them.

To Transpose :
1. Load the Sequence as normal.
2. Press Program Menus > Sequencer > Range Edit > Transpose - the Transpose screen will be displayed.
3. Set the Track number to ALL
4. Set The First Measure to 1 and the Last measure to a high value such as 250, to ensure the entire sequence is covered.
5. Set the Transpose value to the number of Semitones (up or down) you wish to transpose the sequence. For example, if you wish to transpose from E down to C, you would set the Transpose value to -4.
6. Press OK followed by YES and all tracks will be transposed to the selected key.
7. Depending on how the sequence was recorded, you may not require any further steps. If the sequence was recorded using the 'Easy Record' method, as described in a. above, then the transposition operation is complete and no further action is required. This also applies to the 'Hybrid' type of sequence described in c. above, unless it can be seen that Track 10 (the normal Drum Track) has also been used - perhaps for additional accents - fills etc.

8. If it can be seen that the usual Drum Track (Track 10) was used (there will be a Green 'PLAY' icon above the track) then a further operation is required. When the Transpose operation in step 6 was carried out, the events in the Drum track will also have been transposed and this will result in incorrect drum 'instruments' being triggered during playback and result in some very strange sounds !! To correct this, carry out the following 3 steps.
9. While still viewing the 'Transpose' screen, reset the 'Transpose' option to the opposite value, to that which is currently shown - in this case it was set to -4, so change the value to +4.
10. In the 'Track' column, change the current setting of ALL, to 10.
11. Press OK followed by YES. This will restore the Drum track to its original condition.
12. Press the 'Sequencer Play' button (Top Left of Panel), turn off the parts you wish to play in real time eg. RT1, RT2, Left and start the sequence playing.

If you wish to keep the transposed version, save to Disk or SD Card as normal.

A word of caution regarding some of my Sequences....
In many of my later sequences, where I tried to achieve 'realistic' accompaniments within the Composer Style, I used some unorthodox methods to ensure that some parts of the Composer accompaniments, were not affected by changing chords in the Left Hand, as they would normally be. Because of this, any attempt to transpose these sequences, will result in these particular parts of the Composer still playing in the originally recorded key, whilst other tracks in the sequence will play in the transposed key...... Not recommended ! smile

#326663 - 06/17/11 06:43 AM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Bill, your explanation is both accurate and brilliantly described. We need more teachers like you! As you know I have run into the problem you describe in the last paragraph. When you run into a sequence like that described in the last paragraph, the best solution is to transpose the sheet music and leave the sequence alone.

#326688 - 06/17/11 12:20 PM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Bob smile
I've been asked several times via private emails, how to transpose sequences, so I thought it worthwhile to make it 'Public'........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#326689 - 06/17/11 12:21 PM Re: Transposing sequencer songs [Re: Bert Aarts]
RMepstead Offline

Ok Bert - I vaguely understand what you are doing...Rog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online