SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#327623 - 06/28/11 10:10 PM What is a family? Are there rules?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I joined this forum in 1999, and since then I've seen changes both good and bad. I believe some of the problems we're having with temperament and tolerance is that we've become closer than just forum buddies, or friends. We are indeed a family. We're a family of music lovers ... a family of artists ... and just like a family - we sometimes get on each others nerves. We stage "hissy fits, we speak too quickly sometimes, we forget our manners (alot), and we need to be reminded what our original purpose is for this wonderful forum.
What purpose, you ask? Well, as far as I see it - we're here to share information. Ask for help - get some. Offer help - great. Buy/sell advise ... it's a loose exchange of info. If we restricted our business to "just the facts, ma'am" - this would be such a different place. I think it'd loose most of it's charm. We are a diverse, global bunch with so many flavors to add to this musical stew - it's only natural that once in a while, someone will get their feathers ruffled. It's especially hard to transmit the humor intended in many posts with little emoticons, let alone the issue that we are all from varied walks of life around the globe. Something that's funny to one may seem offensive to another.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we all hold hands and sing, but I AM suggesting the notion that we don't need to be friends to be family. If we all lived in the same neighborhood, we would not all be friends. We would not all go listen to each other play. Sure, we'd have our favorites, and that's good - but to think that we can all just "get each other" because we read the same BBS ... is, well, absurd.
I have made some true, loyal friends on this forum and my life would be poorer without them, and there are others who are polite and informative, but we don't share that friendship bond. That's fine. No one said we have to all think and act the same. There IS however, too much bias, ego and hatred filtering into the discussions.
I'm not trying to be moderator - just trying to raise awareness by example. I am starting a new pledge to my forum family:
(say it with me, if you agree)

I (state your name)_______________ promise to be tolerant of my internet neighbors and family members. I will be quick to praise and slow to criticize, and I will comment with honesty and humility at all times. I will offer my help to all who ask, but I will NOT chime in and answer every post just to forward conversation. I will speak with expertise ONLY on matters in which I HAVE some, and I will IGNORE things that could incite or hurt others. I will not post info just to alleviate boredom, or start a conversation; I will limit my OT info to short snippets to personalize the post. I will give of my time and my wisdom generously, but I will remember that this is a public forum, and NOT my own personal soapbox. I will direct off topic subjects to the bar, and do so in a respectful manner.

I believe that by acting in this manner - more people will benefit from the shared knowledge that is assembled here, and we will all grow as individuals and improve as artists.

If you agree - PLEASE don't post "good job" etc ... just say the pledge (quietly, to yourself), and join in the silent majority as we resurrect civility on this GREAT FORUM that has been a home to me for 12 years now. We all can benefit from the effects of improved decorum - so, let's not waste valuable bandwidth on trash talk, or ego inflaters.

We're a global community with a common goal, and STRONG family ties. I'll be the first to slip on the muzzle, and hit that "PREVIEW POST" button before I send my thoughts out into the FAMILY ROOM.

For my US friends - have a happy and safe Independence Day - there are so many great songs that celebrate our freedom - share them generously! For everyone else - Enjoy whatever season or holiday or ritual that applies to you, and please stop by and visit us often. We're family, after all!

Warmly,
Uncle Dave
(There's an "uncle" story there if anyone wants to hear it, but it should be done in the bar, or in PM - thanx!)

P.S.
I've posted an old sales ad for one of my FAVORITE instruments ... just because it's pretty cool. It's not an arranger, and it's not for everybody, but it IS a mainstay in MY music world. Enjoy (or ignore!)
smile

Attachments
rhodesflyer.jpg

#327627 - 06/28/11 11:36 PM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

Dave,

You are absolutely on the money, I am going out today and hug a tree. There is an old English saying “the more I see my friends the more I like my dog”. I think SZ is great and when we get back on track with KB whatever they are, the sooner the better, remember when we used to kick butt, Ketron, Korg, Roland, but not Yamaha, it was great, bring back the good times.

Nice one UD.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#327631 - 06/29/11 12:12 AM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well David, you know me...I speak from the heart and the head.

These arguments have been going on forever on this, and other forums. Anyway, one thing I have learned in all this time, is they do not change anything...Yamaha will still be Yamaha, Roland will be Roland, Korg will be Korg and so on...

It’s hard not to get pulled into these type of threads because it is something we musicians feel passionate about; everyone wants a particular sound, and everyone wants to feel that their buying decision was totally the right one.

I am just as guilty, and have been in several heated debates with people about Roland against Yamaha, or Korg against Roland, or whatever. I try not to do it as much anymore, as it does not affect anything in the long run, and it does not make me a better player.

However, I am still human, and will still manage to indulge in a little heated, and interesting, debate from time to time.

An old friend of mine gave me some great council, Dave, much better, in my opinion, than the advice you're trying to give me, and much easier to follow.

He said, "If you don't like what someone else is doing, don't do it yourself."

I can't change other people, I can only change me, and sometimes, even that isn't easy.

I don't particularly like "Backseat Modding", so I try not to give advice...the latter is like Castor oil; it's easy to give, but hard to take. Advice generally only sounds good to the one giving it.

So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on your pledge, Dave, because I have learned that they never work, just like diets, and going on exercise plans at the gym.

Does that mean I won't try to be a better SZ forumite? Of course not, but I am also a realist, and I don't put my name to any pledges I can't guarantee I will adhere to, to my satisfaction.

Ian

#327648 - 06/29/11 08:00 AM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Extremely nice and appropriate gesture, Dave (one of the genuine nice guys and top pros here).

Plus, Kentucky toothless redneck chicks LOVE HIM!

R.

#327675 - 06/29/11 11:22 AM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Mmmmm, redheads! smile

#327683 - 06/29/11 12:56 PM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Mmmmm, redheads! smile

#327684 - 06/29/11 01:03 PM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Dave ..do you remember her? She was 21 the last time we seen her...

Attachments
269102_2190057948875_1169904475_32670245_4842657_n.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (06/29/11 01:05 PM)

#327794 - 06/30/11 03:14 PM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Is that Carol Robinson? I just talked to her brother yesterday! She was a strawberry blonde ... not a real redhead. I like the deep, auburn color - like an Irish Setter! (I won't even comment on that first picture, you sicko!)

#327801 - 06/30/11 05:44 PM Re: What is a family? Are there rules? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Is that Carol Robinson? I just talked to her brother yesterday! She was a strawberry blonde ... not a real redhead. I like the deep, auburn color - like an Irish Setter! (I won't even comment on that first picture, you sicko!)

Yep...that's my old singing partner from 1989-90...(Before we used MP3's or sequences) cool

Edited by Fran Carango (06/30/11 05:47 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online