We've all seen postings like this on facebook, right?

RIP Justin Allen 23, Brett Linley 29, Matthew Weikert 29, Justus Bartett 27, Dave Santos 21, Jesse Reed 26, Matthew Johnson 21, Zachary Fisher 24, Brandon King 23, Christopher Goeke 23, and Sheldon Tate 27

....Are all Marines that gave their lives this week for you. There is no media for them... not even a mention of their names. Honor THEM by posting this.

I've always had mixed feelings about these kind of posts. Yes, the premise is easy to swallow. In a fairly obvious way, the bravery and valor of a fallen United States serviceman should trump any update to a pop culture icon, right? I get that. You get that. On one hand, to bring attention to those who have died in the service of this Country seems to be a totally good aim. On the other, it seems a bit trite. Is any publicity of those who have died in action good? What if the faces of those fallen soldiers were put up on billboards in each of their hometowns and left there for one year? That sounds great, doesn't it? What if the images were put on milk cartons? Or maybe trading cards or perhaps advertised in a sports arena or stadium? Is there a point of diminishing returns on something like this?

I say yes...

First off, let's clean up some mis-information on the above facebook post. In my research, it turns out that these soldiers did NOT die this week. They died in mid...

Reasonable Conversation Read more...

http://reasonableconversation.blogspot.com/