SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#339004 - 02/07/12 05:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
[quote=bruno123]Another blow. Just like kids, "I got the last blow".
But it all adds color to this forum.

John C.

Oh come on, John...Scott knows full well I'm only kidding with him, as does Nigel.

I tease Scott twice as much on Skype, and it's become a great joke.

Lighten up, buddy...I have said many times the KMA was a stroke of genius on Korg's part.

That still doesn't mean I like mini-keys...I despise them...thankfully, I don't have to ever use them.

Ian [/quote

Ian, this is exactly how I feel about Yamaha keys...Especially the PSR series...and yes even the Tyros too...They are too light and undersized ...To think I would have to play such keys as my primary keyboard...would be too much...At least to me, the Korg MicroArranger is a novelty..and no it would not be a keybed I would want to play all the time.....but to me , not much different from the PSR stuff..You can rave about the so called great Tyros4 keybed, but I know better..I have good keybeds, that are worth raving about smile

I guess this post is just to illustrate that we both dislike certain keys because of size...and my dislike didn't stop at mini, in includes the undersized Yamaha too..

I also dislike the Roland Juno series (exception of Juno Stage), too light and toyish feel, although not undersized as the Yamaha higher end models..

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....most folks understand my point..

The touch and response of the keys may be the single most important thing on any keyboard...maybe more than the sound..Don't believe me...Play a mediocre sound on a great keybed, and play a great sound on a well lets say a PSR keybed... grin

#339006 - 02/07/12 06:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
There is a HUGE problem with these small key arrangers. you simply cant play as fast!!

Heck, who wants to play fast!!!!???

That way the song be over much too quickly!

We want to savor our music, like a fine wine, a good cigar, a lovely woma.....mmmm?....er...we'll stick with the first two, there are children on this site...with small.....er.....hands!

"Long LIve the KMA...KMA everybody! KMA!"

"It's the Present!"

Ian

#339007 - 02/07/12 06:24 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Now you see Ian can be fair, with that lovely tribute, eventhough it is tongue in cheek.

Bernie

#339008 - 02/07/12 06:26 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....

Which is why I am very surprised you didn't take to them like a duck to water....now, don't quack up, Fran...I only kidding.

I simply love the Tyros4's FSX keys ...they the best! (IMO)

Ian

PS....Gary Diamond, and your buddy Donny Pesce have PSR instruments...they aren't expressive players?

They my heroes!

#339009 - 02/07/12 06:39 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Now you see Ian can be fair, with that lovely tribute, eventhough it is tongue in cheek.

Bernie

Tongue firmly in cheek, Bernie, but I do think the guys at Korg who dreamed up the KMA (and other Korg mini-keyboards) were geniuses.

It will help people who would never try a Korg, to get acquainted with the Korgian sound, and perhaps, move on up to a standard sized arranger, like a PA3X.

Smart cookies, they were.

Ian

PS...they would have to sell a lot of KMA to equal the profit on one PA3Xpro, but, they are on to something, for sure!

#339010 - 02/07/12 06:46 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
There is a HUGE problem with these small key arrangers. you simply cant play as fast!!

Nothing to do with the size of the keys - its to do with mass...The same player on a Hammond B3 will be able to play far more notes over a period of a million years or so because time passes slower in the vicinity of a greater mass. So if you want to play fast Latin stuff, definatley avoid the Korg. The Audya 76 is the probably heaviest current arranger so thats the one to go for. plus...you will live longer too.

I think I just came up with my new ad campaign:

"Ketron Audya; Live Longer. Play Faster"

One moment......
The Ketron Audya is only 38 pounds.
The Korg PA588 is 67 pounds (full 88 keys)
Why not the PA588 be better ?

"KORG PA588; LIVE LONGER. PLAY FASTER"

#339011 - 02/07/12 06:47 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Ha Ha

That explains a lot. Tony tells us he is 67 but actually he is 117. Time to get rid Audya and get a KMA. Then you might reverse the process.

Col rocker

#339012 - 02/07/12 06:49 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....

Which is why I am very surprised you didn't take to them like a duck to water....now, don't quack up, Fran...I only kidding.

I simply love the Tyros4's FSX keys ...they the best! (IMO)

Ian

PS....Gary Diamond, and your buddy Donny Pesce have PSR instruments...they aren't expressive players?

They my heroes!

Yes, you said it, not me smile

Gary and Donny are my friends, and they are very different...Gary is a softer player, and I do not hear a wide dynamic range because of velocity changes in his play, he maintains a laid back level of change... Donny is on the other side, he prefers and plays a wide open dynamic play..In fact I recall Donny adjusting a G1000 in a way I would never use it (the highest velocity setting, like we would use for organ grin

These two guys have different styles that please their audiences....

See Ian , I can talk about my friends without slamming them wink

As another example, another friend that uses dynamic range a little different than Gary or Donny...Our amigo, Dave (Uncle Dave)...Dave , at least in the past smile...used velocity dynamics, and appreciated key touch, more in the manner that I do...I am afraid his stints with PSR keyboards has diminished his appreciation...but maybe now with a PA3x..he can retain his yesteryear's... grin

I will say with the four of us, we probably have the widest experience of any 4 on SZ....PS: I am not referring to a couple (Dave a Donny's)...tushs.. smile

#339015 - 02/07/12 07:08 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Machetero]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Machetero

One moment......
The Ketron Audya is only 38 pounds.
The Korg PA588 is 67 pounds (full 88 keys)
Why not the PA588 be better ?

"KORG PA588; LIVE LONGER. PLAY FASTER"

67 pounds...that might be pushing it....E=MC2 means your gigs would seem to last almost twice as long using the PA588 but you would only get paid the same ammount as you would had you use the Audya wink

#339016 - 02/07/12 07:11 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Tony Laurel &  Ian McHardy, Keyboard Roadies. KMA to the rescue!  grin

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online