Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#338798 - 02/05/12 11:11 AM Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's a sweet little new-age improvised piece "Wing For A Day"
composed & played by Grubenony12 on the Korg micro-ARRANGER. cool
btw: he owns & plays an acoustic grand piano too. wave

#338799 - 02/05/12 11:17 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
He seems a little jumpy/hesitant on some notes...he's still not used to the itsy bitsy baby waby keys.

Give him a month or so, and the micro will be a doorstop.

Ha ha...just kidding Scott. rotfl

It sounded pretty good.

Ian

#338802 - 02/05/12 11:20 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ha,

Scotteee your not fooling me he keeps stopping to line his fingers up rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338807 - 02/05/12 12:24 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Scotteee your not fooling me he keeps stopping to line his fingers up rotf2

Tony, I 'did' say this is 'something a little different' cool
btw: Checkout this guy's YouTube channel and you'll see he plays in the same occasionally stopping to realign(?) style,
even when playing a 'full sized key' acoustic grand piano too. grin

#338809 - 02/05/12 12:42 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

I can't see from this angle, also on the little KB there are times when he is hitting two keys with one finger, or thumb.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338819 - 02/05/12 01:38 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Ian and Tony,
It's been obvious from the get go, that even at its bargain < $499 price
and mere 9.26 lb weight, that this microArranger is simply "not" your cup of tea, coffee
but no amount of teasing from either of you is going to get me to part with mine.
I LOVE its easy to qiuckly grab and take anywhere ease and covenience.
Even the 24 lb Yam S910 doesn't come close to this degree of potability ease.
I appreciate having Papa (Steinway Grand), Mama, (Tyros 4), and Baby (microARRANGER) bear options to choose from depending on the situation. cool

#338867 - 02/06/12 02:46 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That's okay Scott, let them jab, and we will go on enjoying it for what it is; a full arranger in a neat little package.

Bernie

#338868 - 02/06/12 03:03 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It's ok Scott, Tony's eyesight aint so good any more so when he says he "can't see from this angle" he really means it. Who gives a .... what people see, it is how it sounds that really matters. And Ian is just jealous that Yamaha have nothing to even compete with it. A Micro Tyros would be an awesome product for non Yamaha users to add that technology to their setups as people have been able to do with the Korg Micro Arranger.

But your Tyros 4 and Korg Micro Arranger is an awesome combination. I can't think of anything better for the money.

#338870 - 02/06/12 03:37 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hey Scott, sorry if you feel this is hijacking your thread but i just stumbled on this.. probably one of the best demos ive seen of the KMA. this guy is great! the only problem is for us - Hes speaking in Japanese!

He (Katsunori Ujiie) also does many MANY other demos all of this quality to a large number of keybaords and synths past and present... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBQqU1Ewhw&feature=relmfu

My Dad has a PA 50SD and it sounds awesome. same with the KMA. for the price these things sell for its unbeleivable how good they are and what features they include!!

Im a Big Korg Fan!

-Nick

#338877 - 02/06/12 05:15 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Group,

Does the KMA support the EC5 footswitch? I've considered the KMA to work together with the Roland BK-7m!
Don P

#338878 - 02/06/12 05:31 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

And Ian is just jealous that Yamaha have nothing to even compete with it. A Micro Tyros would be an awesome product for non Yamaha users to add that technology to their setups as people have been able to do with the Korg Micro Arranger.

I'm afraid not Nigel...no envy from this guy.

Yamaha was making mini key arrangers many years ago (the PSS series), and I wasn't a fan of them back then, any more than I am enamored with the keys on the itsy bitsy teenie weenie KMA today.

As you have seen in some other posts, Tony and myself aren't the only ones who think the mini-keys are a dumb idea, but we could be the only ones having so much fun teasing our good buddy Scott about his KMA.

If you think we are being mean to our buddy, we'll stop teasing him on SZ, but we can't promise not to tease him on Skype.

Some things are just too hard to give up.

Ian

PS....In my opinion, Korg should have made the KMA as a module...it would have blown away the Roland BK-7M, in terms of sound/styles and features, as well as probably being cheaper too. As it is, the KMA, if used with a controller keyboard, would still require a double keyboard stand, just like a regular sized instrument.

#338881 - 02/06/12 06:06 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: donpatt]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
HI Don

I'm afraid not, only damper and assinable pedal.

Regards

Col

#338883 - 02/06/12 06:57 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Perhaps Ian and Tony simply suffer from Jason's affliction: eek

The micro sized keys may not be "ideal", but they certainly are
acceptably playable and even become enjoyable for those of us willing to make adaptable adjustments to
our playing style. I had to do this when learning to adapt to synthesizer keys
from a fully weighted grand piano, and later to the even smaller Yamaha Psr/Tyros sized keys.
Interestingly enough, I'm now finding adapting to the micro keys a lot easier than my initial piano key to synthesizer key transition.

The big pay off (reward) for me is the new ability to so much more conveniently and quickly
take just about anywhere (on trains and planes, up flights of stairs etc)
this mere 9.26 lb keyboard, and at a drop of a hat. cool
Both me and my audiences are impressed by the KMA's appearence and are even more impressed with the sound.
Though Ian might possibly have become interested in the KMA if it were offered as a module,
its actually the KMA's all in one piece (including both keys & speakers) approach that "won me" over. rocker

#338884 - 02/06/12 07:07 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Don't worry Scott...I was talking with Tony...Nigel is right...we'll listen to him, and we won't tease you about the KMA any more on SZ. smirk

Ian

#338886 - 02/06/12 07:24 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

And I have Ian's permission to do the same. drink when I come around

#338887 - 02/06/12 07:27 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

#338890 - 02/06/12 07:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Nick G]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Originally Posted By: Nick G

My Dad has a PA 50SD and it sounds awesome. same with the KMA. for the price these things sell for its unbeleivable how good they are and what features they include!!

-Nick

Nick,

Is the Pa50SD an exact replica sound wise and feature wise as this Micro arranger ?

This keyboard sounds so professional, piano style keys, it really is a pity they did not finish the job and put normal size keys. That said, I could consider this as a second arranger mounted on top of my G70. It would give me a huge selection of styles on a gig also a great variety of good Korg sounds.

#338891 - 02/06/12 08:13 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Mockie]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
[Nick,

Is the Pa50SD an exact replica sound wise and feature wise as this Micro arranger ?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it is.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#338892 - 02/06/12 08:13 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

The beauty of the KMA is ITS SIZE !

#338896 - 02/06/12 08:54 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Nick G]
Scottyee Offline

. . . i just stumbled on this. probably one of the best demos ive seen of the KMA. this guy is great! the only problem is for us - Hes speaking in Japanese!
Hi Nick,
I agree. clap
This is same video that won me over as well & convinced me to buy the KMA:

Im a Big Korg Fan!

I still love my Tyros 4 of course, but
I've become a Big Korg Fan now too as well! keys
In fact, down the road, when funds allow it,
I may eventually add a Pa3X or Kronos too. cool

Originally Posted By: Mockie

Is the Pa50SD an exact replica sound wise and feature wise as this Micro arranger ? This keyboard sounds so professional, piano style keys, it really is a pity they did not finish the job and put normal size keys.

Hi Mockie,
The microARRANGER & Pa50SD are prety much the same in every respect, except for size & price.
If you want normal size keys, simply buy a Pa50SD. The beauty is in 'having' that choice. smile

Originally Posted By: Dnj
The beauty of the KMA is ITS SIZE !
Hi Donny:You hit the nail squarely on the head about that. rocker

#338937 - 02/06/12 04:17 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

PLAYING KMA

Here's an interesting review post of the KMA and the comfortability of playing the smaller keys by SZ member Salsaman.

Edited by Dnj (02/06/12 04:21 PM)

#338940 - 02/06/12 04:36 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

So, are you buying another microArranger, Donny?

Why did you sell the one you bought?

Ian the Curious

#338941 - 02/06/12 04:41 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian the Curious

No..... & It wasn't due to the key size at all is all I will say to answer your question.

#338942 - 02/06/12 04:50 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian the Curious

No..... & It wasn't due to the key size at all is all I will say to answer your question.

Okay...I figured you sold it for some other reason than the key size, as you had no problems doing a nice demo with it.

Seems only Scott Yee is doing any real gigging with it...I suppose there are a few more.

Ian

Edited by Nigel (02/06/12 11:34 PM)

#338947 - 02/06/12 05:57 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There are many different opinions about the KMA; size of the keys and such but I see the keyboard differently.

My Views

1-In the past I had to spend between $1,500 to $3,000 to have the excitement that a new keyboard brings. I am able to do that now with only $499.

2-Every inexpensive Yamaha keyboard I have demoed felt and sounded like a toy. From what I have read so far this is not the case for the new KMA. When mine comes I’ll have the answer.

3- Size Size Size Weight Weight Weight -- These are some of the reasons that I bought a Bose Compact. This keyboard will go to places that none of my other keyboards have been; including my mother-laws, ops no she’s gone. (My sick humor, sorry)

Being familiar with both Yamaha and Technics I was pleasantly surprised at some really great features that my Pa800 offers. You can write about a great keyboard and you can make demos but neither is as effective as have a mini version of its big brothers. I am not surprised to see Scott may have an interest in a Pa3x after owning a KMA for such a short time. This may be trend, an introduction to. I am looking forward to the opinions of those who spend some time with the KMA.

I am able to fill this page with features my Korg keyboard offers so that I am able to sound better and be more effective.

John C.

#338985 - 02/06/12 10:43 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Don't worry Scott...I was talking with Tony...Nigel is right...we'll listen to him, and we won't tease you about the KMA any more on SZ. smirk

Ian

You guys crack me up lol rotfl

It's not like Scott would take any notice of you anyway. What other small, cheap arranger keyboard that can be carried around easily would you suggest ... oh wait on ... there isn't any other. It fills a very particular niche market and has absolutely no competition.

#338988 - 02/07/12 12:59 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

You guys crack me up lol rotfl

It's not like Scott would take any notice of you anyway. What other small, cheap arranger keyboard that can be carried around easily would you suggest ... oh wait on ... there isn't any other. It fills a very particular niche market and has absolutely no competition.

Nigel,

I promise not to tease Scott anymore (on SZ).

I know he is very happy with his small, cheap arranger. wink

Ian

#338991 - 02/07/12 01:12 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Another blow. Just like kids, "I got the last blow".
But it all adds color to this forum.

John C.

#338992 - 02/07/12 01:22 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: bruno123]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Another blow. Just like kids, "I got the last blow".

John C.

Oh come on, John...Scott knows full well I'm only kidding with him, as does Nigel.

I tease Scott twice as much on Skype, and it's become a great joke.

Lighten up, buddy...I have said many times the KMA was a stroke of genius on Korg's part.

That still doesn't mean I like mini-keys...I despise them...thankfully, I don't have to ever use them.

Ian

#339003 - 02/07/12 05:53 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Tonewheeldude Offline

There is a HUGE problem with these small key arrangers. you simply cant play as fast!!

Nothing to do with the size of the keys - its to do with mass...The same player on a Hammond B3 will be able to play far more notes over a period of a million years or so because time passes slower in the vicinity of a greater mass. So if you want to play fast Latin stuff, definatley avoid the Korg. The Audya 76 is the probably heaviest current arranger so thats the one to go for. plus...you will live longer too.

I think I just came up with my new ad campaign:

"Ketron Audya; Live Longer. Play Faster"

#339004 - 02/07/12 05:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
[quote=bruno123]Another blow. Just like kids, "I got the last blow".

John C.

Oh come on, John...Scott knows full well I'm only kidding with him, as does Nigel.

I tease Scott twice as much on Skype, and it's become a great joke.

Lighten up, buddy...I have said many times the KMA was a stroke of genius on Korg's part.

That still doesn't mean I like mini-keys...I despise them...thankfully, I don't have to ever use them.

Ian [/quote

Ian, this is exactly how I feel about Yamaha keys...Especially the PSR series...and yes even the Tyros too...They are too light and undersized ...To think I would have to play such keys as my primary keyboard...would be too much...At least to me, the Korg MicroArranger is a novelty..and no it would not be a keybed I would want to play all the time.....but to me , not much different from the PSR stuff..You can rave about the so called great Tyros4 keybed, but I know better..I have good keybeds, that are worth raving about smile

I guess this post is just to illustrate that we both dislike certain keys because of size...and my dislike didn't stop at mini, in includes the undersized Yamaha too..

I also dislike the Roland Juno series (exception of Juno Stage), too light and toyish feel, although not undersized as the Yamaha higher end models..

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....most folks understand my point..

The touch and response of the keys may be the single most important thing on any keyboard...maybe more than the sound..Don't believe me...Play a mediocre sound on a great keybed, and play a great sound on a well lets say a PSR keybed... grin

#339006 - 02/07/12 06:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
There is a HUGE problem with these small key arrangers. you simply cant play as fast!!

Heck, who wants to play fast!!!!???

That way the song be over much too quickly!

We want to savor our music, like a fine wine, a good cigar, a lovely woma.....mmmm?....er...we'll stick with the first two, there are children on this site...with small.....er.....hands!

"Long LIve the KMA...KMA everybody! KMA!"

"It's the Present!"

Ian

#339007 - 02/07/12 06:24 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

Now you see Ian can be fair, with that lovely tribute, eventhough it is tongue in cheek.

Bernie

#339008 - 02/07/12 06:26 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....

Which is why I am very surprised you didn't take to them like a duck to water....now, don't quack up, Fran...I only kidding.

I simply love the Tyros4's FSX keys ...they the best! (IMO)

Ian

PS....Gary Diamond, and your buddy Donny Pesce have PSR instruments...they aren't expressive players?

They my heroes!

#339009 - 02/07/12 06:39 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Now you see Ian can be fair, with that lovely tribute, eventhough it is tongue in cheek.

Bernie

Tongue firmly in cheek, Bernie, but I do think the guys at Korg who dreamed up the KMA (and other Korg mini-keyboards) were geniuses.

It will help people who would never try a Korg, to get acquainted with the Korgian sound, and perhaps, move on up to a standard sized arranger, like a PA3X.

Smart cookies, they were.

Ian

PS...they would have to sell a lot of KMA to equal the profit on one PA3Xpro, but, they are on to something, for sure!

#339010 - 02/07/12 06:46 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

Nothing to do with the size of the keys - its to do with mass...The same player on a Hammond B3 will be able to play far more notes over a period of a million years or so because time passes slower in the vicinity of a greater mass. So if you want to play fast Latin stuff, definatley avoid the Korg. The Audya 76 is the probably heaviest current arranger so thats the one to go for. plus...you will live longer too.

I think I just came up with my new ad campaign:

"Ketron Audya; Live Longer. Play Faster"

One moment......
The Ketron Audya is only 38 pounds.
The Korg PA588 is 67 pounds (full 88 keys)
Why not the PA588 be better ?

"KORG PA588; LIVE LONGER. PLAY FASTER"

#339011 - 02/07/12 06:47 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Ha Ha

That explains a lot. Tony tells us he is 67 but actually he is 117. Time to get rid Audya and get a KMA. Then you might reverse the process.

Col rocker

#339012 - 02/07/12 06:49 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

I know folks will claim how fast the PSR keys are etc, but we know it is just a non expressive player that enjoys this concept....

Which is why I am very surprised you didn't take to them like a duck to water....now, don't quack up, Fran...I only kidding.

I simply love the Tyros4's FSX keys ...they the best! (IMO)

Ian

PS....Gary Diamond, and your buddy Donny Pesce have PSR instruments...they aren't expressive players?

They my heroes!

Yes, you said it, not me smile

Gary and Donny are my friends, and they are very different...Gary is a softer player, and I do not hear a wide dynamic range because of velocity changes in his play, he maintains a laid back level of change... Donny is on the other side, he prefers and plays a wide open dynamic play..In fact I recall Donny adjusting a G1000 in a way I would never use it (the highest velocity setting, like we would use for organ grin

These two guys have different styles that please their audiences....

See Ian , I can talk about my friends without slamming them wink

As another example, another friend that uses dynamic range a little different than Gary or Donny...Our amigo, Dave (Uncle Dave)...Dave , at least in the past smile...used velocity dynamics, and appreciated key touch, more in the manner that I do...I am afraid his stints with PSR keyboards has diminished his appreciation...but maybe now with a PA3x..he can retain his yesteryear's... grin

I will say with the four of us, we probably have the widest experience of any 4 on SZ....PS: I am not referring to a couple (Dave a Donny's)...tushs.. smile

#339015 - 02/07/12 07:08 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Machetero]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Machetero

One moment......
The Ketron Audya is only 38 pounds.
The Korg PA588 is 67 pounds (full 88 keys)
Why not the PA588 be better ?

"KORG PA588; LIVE LONGER. PLAY FASTER"

67 pounds...that might be pushing it....E=MC2 means your gigs would seem to last almost twice as long using the PA588 but you would only get paid the same ammount as you would had you use the Audya wink

#339016 - 02/07/12 07:11 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Tony Laurel &  Ian McHardy, Keyboard Roadies. KMA to the rescue!  grin

#339017 - 02/07/12 07:13 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

These two guys have different styles that please their audiences....

Yes they do Fran, and both are quite expressive in their playing, to my ears...witness Donny's incredible performance on the KMA, an instrument with keys the size of Chicklet's gum.

There's no doubt, to anyone with any musical sense, that it was all the hours on those terrific and expressive PSR keys that gave Donny "the expressive touch" on the KMA.

I'm hoping we will be graced(?) with an even more expressive demo by yourself (since you are so experienced, that shouldn't be a problem?)...you still have the KMA, do you not?

Ian

PS...The PSR's keys are so communicative, Gary was even able to play them expressively with bandaged fingers...that is pretty cool!

PSS..."Experience" is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake when you make it again. wink

#339022 - 02/07/12 07:27 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Tony Laurel &  Ian McHardy, Keyboard Roadies. KMA to the rescue!  grin

You were in the carriage.

Mind your elders...ha ha!

Ian

#339024 - 02/07/12 07:39 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Ian quote
PSS..."Experience" is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake when you make it again.

I will still respond smile

The Korg is tied up...sometimes the grand-kids need something to play with.... smile

Both Donny and Gary will tell you, their expressiveness comes from their vocals..they claim to be "singers" first..

and I think you do not understand expressive, in music terms smile

Edited by Fran Carango (02/07/12 07:42 AM)

#339025 - 02/07/12 07:39 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

I say a good player can play on any keybed....I just adapt to whatever is under my fingers....keyfeel is not a biggie for me, never was...I feel just as comfortable playing my old B3, Rhodes, G70, as I am the KMA or my Galante Accordion...you can have the so called best keys on in the world, it's what is played on them & what it sounds like is much more important.

#339029 - 02/07/12 07:52 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

The Korg is tied up...sometimes the grand-kids need something to play with.... smile

and I think you do not understand expressive, in music terms smile

You don't let them use that old G-70? They'll develop very bad technique on a mini-keyboard...don't you care about their future expressiveness?

I understand "expressive" in music terms very well, thank you.

That's why I refuse to play on small keys (they work well for some, but not me)...that's also why I use a Tyros4...the MOST expressive arranger made, in my opinion, of course. grin

Ian

PS...T'would be nice to hear just how expressively you play the KMA...but, we won't get our hopes up. wink

I doubt if Donny's demo can be equaled.

#339045 - 02/07/12 10:19 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Ian quote
PS...T'would be nice to hear just how expressively you play the KMA...but, we won't get our hopes up.

Here Ian..I just played by the seat of my pants....dang these little keys.. smile

And no, I am not trying to compete with any individual...we are all different players...

This Korg Micro is far from being awlful wink

Attachments
Dr000103.zip (76 downloads)

#339046 - 02/07/12 10:30 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Fran...

Never mind...I got it okay.

Ian

Edited by ianmcnll (02/07/12 10:35 AM)

#339049 - 02/07/12 10:54 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Ian quote
PS...T'would be nice to hear just how expressively you play the KMA...but, we won't get our hopes up.

Here Ian..I just played by the seat of my pants....dang these little keys.. smile

And no, I am not trying to compete with any individual...we are all different players...

This Korg Micro is far from being awlful wink

File Corrupted?

#339050 - 02/07/12 10:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Nope...downloaded fine for me...and opened perfectly.

Ian

#339051 - 02/07/12 11:03 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Fran Carango Offline

#339052 - 02/07/12 11:04 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Nope...downloaded fine for me...and opened perfectly.

Ian

file is corrupt ...tried several times

repost it ian

#339055 - 02/07/12 12:32 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

file is corrupt ...tried several times
repost it ian
Fran Carango posted his rendition of "Over The Rainbow" here

#339057 - 02/07/12 12:36 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds like Scott's Steinway to me!

#339060 - 02/07/12 12:54 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Nice job Fran...love those chord changes...one of the most beautiful songs ever written.KMA piano sounds great...Thanx

#339061 - 02/07/12 01:08 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

http://francarango.homestead.com/XFER.html

Check out this 5 year old girl in the video....Tell Kelly Clarkson to stay home... smile

#339063 - 02/07/12 01:14 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

http://francarango.homestead.com/XFER.html

Check out this 5 year old girl in the video....Tell Kelly Clarkson to stay home... smile

Bonnie looks & sounds great Fran you both are gonna kill out there...tell her I said hi !

#339068 - 02/07/12 01:59 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

That sounds just like the piano in Scott's KMA...and, Somewhere Over The Rainbow is a classic Fran.

Interesting chords...do you also do the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version?

Ian

#339069 - 02/07/12 02:09 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Eva Cassidy best version of this song I ever heard...
may she R.I.P. with the Angels

#339155 - 02/09/12 07:48 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Fran Carango Offline

[quote=Dnj]file is corrupt ...tried several times
repost it ian
Fran Carango posted his rendition of "Over The Rainbow" here [/quote

I am curious....no one commented on the Micro demo...just Donny, but amigos always comment favorably smile

Was it just a waste of time and bandwidth to post grin

Edited by Fran Carango (02/09/12 07:48 AM)

#339156 - 02/09/12 08:00 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I commented. It sounded great to me!
DonM

#339158 - 02/09/12 08:05 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

repost it ian

I am curious....no one commented on the Micro demo...just Donny, but amigos always comment favorably smile

Fran, I know that I am your hero, but on this occasion can I take the 5th. rotf2

Regards

Tony

#339159 - 02/09/12 08:07 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

I commented as well (see above).

It sounds very much like a PA-50SD, which, can be stunning, or just average according to personal taste.

Average for me...the newer DNC instruments sound much better...KMA is 10 year old technology.

Ian

#339167 - 02/09/12 09:06 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
repost it ian

Hi Fran,

I thought the bare beginning was pretty awful, also highlighting one of the poorer sounds of the PA50/Micro , that is the acoustic piano. However once the arranger started playing I had to think of someone saying that this might be a toy. You show to perfection that it is not a toy. It sounded very good even on my simple computer speakers (creative T10) . Drums (even with 10 year old technology ) simply superb !

Apart from the piano sound itself I doubt anyone in a small audience would associate the sound coming from that " cheapo ". You were quite right imho to hang on to it.

I am still savouring my new combination of my main keyboard (Korg PA800) with a Yammie. ( a PSR-S900 since yesterday). Wow, absolutely fantastic combination !!

Yesterday I finally put the finishing touches to my Resources for the Micro + appropriate manuals.They should now work to perfection. Let me know if you want them. I guess Bernie will post his findings within a couple of days or so.....

regards,
John Smies

#339168 - 02/09/12 09:40 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Sometimes older keyboard technology sounds rather timeless, as in the case of the Acoustic Piano, Hammond B-3, Fender Rhodes, Clavinet, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Oberheim OB series, etc.

However, in my opinion, it just doesn't work the same way for more modern sample based instruments, especially arrangers...10 years is a long time.

I do feel that Korg did a great job of repackaging said technology (unfortunately with tiny keys), lowering the price to where almost anyone can afford, and introducing a whole slew of players to the Korg sound and OS.

Brilliant!

Ian

#339169 - 02/09/12 09:43 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I dont mean to be naive here....I'm sure the answer is yes

Could I just use the KMA from another keyboard through midi for it's arranging capabilities ????

I'm sure I couldn't hang with the small keys....BUT, for $499 I could add arranger capabilities to my KORG Triton Extreme that's coming next week....

Is there a cheaper way to do this.....I looked at the Roland BK-7 which I guess is discontinued....but it seems it was $999

Is this my best option at this price point? Shoot the drum machine i was leaning toward, the BOSS DR 880 is $489.....

#339181 - 02/09/12 11:40 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Steve A]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve A

Could I just use the KMA from another keyboard through midi for it's arranging capabilities ????

Hi Steve,

Of course you can. As a matter of fact I think one should. Read my thread about "the three deadly sins in playing the Micro. ".
On my webpages (page 8) I have even written a kind of manual to link up the Micro with any Yamaha arranger, thus mainly or totally avoiding the use of its keys. But of course you can do the same, or similar, with any other keyboard.
http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/page-8-hooking-up-your-micro-to-major-arranger-keyboard.html

regards,
John Smies

P.S. great site you have got and some great compositions of your own!

#339309 - 02/10/12 05:56 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: john smies]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: john smies

Hi Steve,

Of course you can. As a matter of fact I think one should. Read my thread about "the three deadly sins in playing the Micro. ".
On my webpages (page 8) I have even written a kind of manual to link up the Micro with any Yamaha arranger, thus mainly or totally avoiding the use of its keys. But of course you can do the same, or similar, with any other keyboard.
http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/page-8-hooking-up-your-micro-to-major-arranger-keyboard.html

regards,
John Smies

P.S. great site you have got and some great compositions of your own!

Thanks for the link......I still don't "get" the tiny toy keys.....I mean how much $ could another inch or so really cost ????

I would rather have something the size of the BK-7.....Cause I will NEVER use those keys....

Oh and thanks for the compliment on my tunes and site.......

#339310 - 02/10/12 06:44 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

The KMA keys don't bother me at all playing ...
in fact I was just playing one for a couple of hours this evening.....but that's another story cool2

#339316 - 02/10/12 08:25 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Steve A]
Scottyee Offline

I still don't "get" the tiny toy keys.....I mean how much $ could another inch or so really cost ????

Steve,
If the KMA's keys were created full sized, it would simply be a Korg Pa50SD, so what would be the point? confused1

The tiny keys aren't about saving cost, but to support the selling point of the keyboard: a light and small as possible "all in one" arranger workstation to offer the greatest portability possible, yet still delivering pro level sound quality. For those able to adapt to the smaller key size comes the reward of far greater ease in taking the keyboard on the road, including airplanes and other places where accomodation space is limited.

My interest in the microARRANGER has always been for its small size and ability to grab and go with it just about anywhere under one arm, and the rest of my gear in the other, much like a guitarist, horn player, and other members in a band are so easily able to do when they show up for a gig. My dream of finally being able, as a keyboard entertainer, to do the same has finally arrived. dance2

That said, though I found the micro sized keys, even initially, playable, I'm the first to admit, that it takes at least some degree of practice to fully adapt and play it to sound at a professionally proficient level. Keyboard instrument key size and feel (weight and action) have varied greatly over the years: from clavichord, harpsichord, clavinet, accordions of different sizes, to pipe organs and Bosendorfer pianos. Keyboardists thru the years have learned to adapt to playing each. The key is to approach each of them as individually different instruments in their own right, as each requires a uniquely different playing technique. Of course no one can MASTER any of these overnight, but if you're open to learning, you will reap big rewards. In the case of the KMA, its being able to so much easier take it anywhere and not be restricted by its size or weight.

One thing I've found at least for me in becoming increasingly more proficient playing the smaller micro keys is spending a few minutes practice time before actually performing, to consciously focus on and watch my fingers playing the keyboard to grow accustom to how far I close/spread my fingers to play on octave, ffith,ninth, tenth, and other intervals and chords. You then can more quickly develop an inner sense of how far your hand and fingers close or open when playing on the microARRANGER vs accordion, standard synth keys, vs a full sized hammer weighted action GRAND piano. It's of course equally important to spend time playing your other keyboards too, to keep your chops up with them as well. smile

Enjoy whatever keyboard(s) you play.

Scott cool

#339332 - 02/11/12 02:32 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

If the KMA's keys were created full sized, it would simply be a Korg Pa50SD, so what would be the point? confused1

Very well summed up Scott. People don't seem to realize that the small keys aren't a drawback ... they are a feature. I understand exactly why it appealed to you.

#339333 - 02/11/12 02:33 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

I think that is real good advice Scott.

When I first got my Micro The small keys seemed awkward, and I immediately thought about a midi alternatives. I persevered, and in a short while I adapted.

I now play the Micro on top directly, and the Nord on the bottom, with left hand accomp control activated by either. I have my Ventilator hooked up to the Nord, giving me a B3 and arranger in one light package.

I am in the process of mapping the factory styles and performances to see which ones I want for gigs. Afterward, I start integrating John Smies excellent material, which should occupy a good portion of my pallet.

As an added bonus, I find the Korg styles to be great, and has really inspired me to different material.

Bernie

#339342 - 02/11/12 06:36 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I find the Korg styles to be great, and has really inspired me to different material.
Bernie

Bernie...I totally agree....there is a certain LIVE
"je ne sais quoi" using KORG styles that just inspires you to play better ....I love the bass lines in many of the styles when changing chords also they just seem to flow really well.
Enjoy your setup.

#339346 - 02/11/12 07:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

I have noticed..owners of the MicroArranger, that also own Yamaha arrangers (both PSR s910, and Tyros3 and 4...have appreciated the difference between in their words..live sound of Korg , verses the"fake" overall sound of the Yamaha line..

Everyone that offered up their unsolicited opinion , has stated this to me, maybe not all in the exact words I used, but within the same vein..

The Micro gave them the chance to compare in their own homes with their own sound systems...both brands...

Aftermath..I know several folks have sold their Yamaha gear, not to be replaced by the Micro arranger, but they have moved on to Korg full size keyboards...

I am not sure these folks would air out their findings here on SZ.....(Ian -itis is feared grin), but privately, they sincerely offer up opinions that are favorably..Korg..

#339347 - 02/11/12 07:33 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

In my view there is no need to sacrifice whichever brand. On the Dutch keyboard forum I have posted a lenghty article on the merits of having two brands at your disposal. In essence my point of view is that most folks will be better off with both a Korg and Yamaha than with only one brand of keyboard. ( please subsitute either if you like by Roland)
If you are on the smallest possible budget a PA50 ( or Micro) combined with a Yamaha PSR 1500/3000/700/900 will cost you just over 1000-1200 euros. If you have no financial worries go for the PA3X and the Tyros 4.
Mind you that will set you back approx. 7000 euros, at least overhere in Europe. In between are many other options. Being a Korg man myself I have grown quite attached to my recently acquired PSR900. I amplify the Yamaha via the Korg PA800 which gives it an additional boost. I was lucky to acquire the used Yamaha for only 700 euros. All in all my set up cost me considerably less than a plain new Korg PA3X (without the speakers).
Don't get me wrong, I ain't knocking the PA3X or the Tyros 4 for that matter, all I am saying is that in my view it is often best to go for two brands of keyboards, even if it entails " having to make do " with the sub top or dated top model.......
Just my 2 cents.

regards,
John Smies

P.S. I am glad that more and more folks are beginning to discover the potential of the Micro in whatever set up. I wish my Yamaha PSR900 was a micro version. As it is it takes up rather a hell of space............ smile

#339351 - 02/11/12 08:10 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

I am not sure these folks would air out their findings here on SZ.....(Ian -itis is feared grin), but privately, they sincerely offer up opinions that are favorably..Korg..

Ian-itus...something like "Fran-itus" when it comes to Roland?

I'm tickled to finally have something named after me, so I figured you, at the very least, deserve the same. grin

Ian

PS...not to worry Fran...you'll hear no more about the whatchamaycallit from me.

#339353 - 02/11/12 08:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Owning a Korg PA3X I really don't see why I need or want a second arranger. If I want extra sounds I use samples or VST's if I want styles from other brands I convert them or use Varranger.

#339356 - 02/11/12 08:42 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Owning a Korg PA3X I really don't see why I need or want a second arranger. If I want extra sounds I use samples or VST's if I want styles from other brands I convert them or use Varranger.

I never understood people with 2 arrangers...

If you needed anything to a PA3X, it would be a Solosynth/Pro workstation/PC running VST, but not a 2nd arranger... because almost all styles can be converted and adjusted to your own arranger.

So a PC with VST's if you dont need any extra keys, and the others if you do need them... Personally i am a big fan of one instrument with weithed keys and another with unweighted synth action keys...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#339357 - 02/11/12 08:45 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

+1 for ONE Arranger on stage!

#339358 - 02/11/12 08:45 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bachus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: FransN

I never understood people with 2 arrangers...

If you needed anything to a PA3X, it would be a Solosynth/Pro workstation/PC running VST, but not a 2nd arranger... because almost all styles can be converted and adjusted to your own arranger.

So a PC with VST's if you dont need any extra keys, and the others if you do need them... Personally i am a big fan of one instrument with weithed keys and another with unweighted synth action keys...

Exactly what I mean.

#339365 - 02/11/12 08:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

+1 for ONE Arranger on stage!

You can add my vote...have only needed ONE.

Ian

#339375 - 02/11/12 10:10 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: ianmcnll]
john smies Offline

So.............we're ALL happy, nothing wrong with that it seems to me !!!

Regards,
John

P.S. Bachus, about conversions : they never stand up to the real thing, and believe you me I have massive experience wit those. As to those performing on stage I can well understand being happier with one keyboard..........or possibly a sneaky addition of e.g. a Micro ?
But as I do not play outside the confines of my livingroom this is no issue to me. With Frans I considered the software options but decided it was not my thing......

#339385 - 02/11/12 10:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

When it comes to arranger playing
I prefer the separate but equal approach.
I like being able to pick and choose
the 'one keyboard' to take with me
that best suits a specific gig situation. smile

Thursday: Vanilla
Friday: Chocolate
Saturday: Chocolate

#339387 - 02/11/12 11:17 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

You have Chocolate on Friday and Saturday you will end up a fat little git dance2

#339394 - 02/11/12 12:08 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

I love to experiment but have not the technical wherewithal of some of you. I sold my G70 and am down my KN7000 and Audya for arrangers, not counting my vArranger. I also have my Nord Electro2 and laptop with B42 and V3 organ with an Axiom 61 controller.

Let's suppose I don't need two arrangers and want to include my Korg Micro with style control midi'd down to a bottom keyboard.
What choices to I have for lower. My only present problem is lack of different sounds on the Nord.

1. Maybe a light used nonarranger.
2. Axiom and laptop with more VST's
3. Axiom with vArranger(SD2).

I need fast selectable instruments without taking one of my big arrangers.

Bernie

#357294 - 12/22/12 08:08 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Nigel]
synthola Offline

As a new member to this board, I have discovered this thread a little late. However, it's nice to see other folks using these downsized boards that I have come to love! Actually, the board I play is a Korg MicroStation--and I have replaced my entire gig rig with it.

In my(cover)band, I have played for years covering bass duty (left hand) and pads/leads/rhythms (rt. hand) on boards from other arrangers (Yamaha PSR 730) to synths (Kurz K2000, Equinox, MR61, etc.). ALL were heavy and a PIA to break down at the end of the night. Now, I have all the great Korg sounds laid out and split into my necessary patches on a board that I can carry on my shoulder (I use a soft short rifle case i bought at the Army Navy store for a case!) and get this--my stand is a tripod boom mic with a KB "shelf" I fashioned--now its a tiny lightweight version of my Apex/KB/Mic stand! Love this thig--If I could attach pics I would, you wouldnt believe the small footprint. For my Jazz gigs I use a Behringer B212--small, powered, light 500watt PA --and I can carry my whole rig now, without a cart, out to the econo-car in one trip! Fantastic.

I got used to the smaller keys in a day. There's nothing to it.

Now, for a question for you guys--I am thinking of getting the Micro Arranger and dont know if I'll keep the Micro Station. Are the sound patches the same? They seemed different at the music store the other day--

Thanks in advance

Synthola

#357297 - 12/22/12 08:28 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Years ago in the early 80's before arrangers I played left hand bass with my Yamaha CS01 II small keys were no problem then ...it even had breath control also!

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs1.php

#357298 - 12/22/12 08:49 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hell,

I forgotten all about that little critter " THE KMA " dance2

#357302 - 12/22/12 09:27 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

The small keys are okay for soloing, as a few organs on the market, several years ago, sported a third keyboard with smaller keys that were designed exactly for that...however, on the organs there was a coupler that allowed you to assign that uppermost keyboard voice to the manual below, allowing for playing the selected sound using normal sized keys if you wished.

I had a Yamaha CS01 like Donny, and it was only for solos (and bass lines), and rightly so, as it was monophonic and played one note at a time, max. The small keys weren't an issue for that very reason.

I found chording on the KMA (and other similar sized keybeds produced and discontinued by Yamaha many years ago), very awkward, and especially so if there was another keyboard with full sized keys involved in the setup. Intervals were obviously different, and I found the benefits of the smaller mini keyboard (smaller footprint, easy transport, very light weight) not enough to choose it over a mid sized PSR or Roland that hardly were heavyweights and offered far more playing enjoyment.

Still there are those who love the KMA and, I can see why...it just isn't something I'd use.

Ian

#357303 - 12/22/12 09:28 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Tony Hughes]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hell,

I forgotten all about that little critter

No suprise there, Tony. Do you know where you are right now?

chas

#357308 - 12/22/12 10:00 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: cgiles]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Hell,

I forgotten all about that little critter

No suprise there, Tony. Do you know where you are right now?

chas

Cosmic !!!! ( ...you have to admit Tony.....)

regards
John

#357408 - 12/23/12 11:26 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I don't really have an issue with different sized keys... Heck, I got started on accordion as well as piano!

I guess my main problem is when I'm forced to mix and match. For me, at least, I have considerable problems playing TWO keyboards with different widths or depths. Especially when stacked, and both hands have to adjust. As long as it's just the one, most of us can adjust, but when you are constantly going from one to the other, it forces you to stare down a lot, or concentrate extra hard as you swap keyboards.

YMMV

#357488 - 12/23/12 11:58 PM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: synthola]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: synthola
As a new member to this board, I have discovered this thread a little late. However, it's nice to see other folks using these downsized boards that I have come to love! Actually, the board I play is a Korg MicroStation--and I have replaced my entire gig rig with it.

In my(cover)band, I have played for years covering bass duty (left hand) and pads/leads/rhythms (rt. hand) on boards from other arrangers (Yamaha PSR 730) to synths (Kurz K2000, Equinox, MR61, etc.). ALL were heavy and a PIA to break down at the end of the night. Now, I have all the great Korg sounds laid out and split into my necessary patches on a board that I can carry on my shoulder (I use a soft short rifle case i bought at the Army Navy store for a case!) and get this--my stand is a tripod boom mic with a KB "shelf" I fashioned--now its a tiny lightweight version of my Apex/KB/Mic stand! Love this thig--If I could attach pics I would, you wouldnt believe the small footprint. For my Jazz gigs I use a Behringer B212--small, powered, light 500watt PA --and I can carry my whole rig now, without a cart, out to the econo-car in one trip! Fantastic.

I got used to the smaller keys in a day. There's nothing to it.

Now, for a question for you guys--I am thinking of getting the Micro Arranger and dont know if I'll keep the Micro Station. Are the sound patches the same? They seemed different at the music store the other day--

Thanks in advance

Synthola

Different sound engines.

Micro arranger - triton 32mb engine/62 poly/4 efx/no combis ofcourse/better joystick (01w, triton like than m1,m3,krome like in microstation )
Microstation - newer m3 engine (still less rom-48mb if I'm not mistaken)/more efx including 5 inserts/128 poly

Microstation - what's the audience responce to the little guy on stage?are they shocked ?do you also play live sequences?

Microarrager will play songs without loading(unlike microstation ).much better sequencing because of more buttons and larger display /backing seq can be a Smf to edit later,dual seq play back (ready for the second song,play together or even do cross fades),not as compact as microstation and no editor or vst.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online