Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345237 - 06/01/12 07:53 AM Re: Start a band [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill doesn't have a band. His post referred to someone else's post on another site.
He sometimes uses a couple of guys to back him up, but they are plentiful around here!
DonM

band = laptop.. wink

... and for musicians that's a damn shame !!! frown

#345239 - 06/01/12 11:17 AM Re: Start a band [Re: tony mads usa]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill doesn't have a band. His post referred to someone else's post on another site.
He sometimes uses a couple of guys to back him up, but they are plentiful around here!
DonM

band = laptop.. wink

... and for musicians that's a damn shame !!! frown

Yes it is but that's why there is no need to try to do a "start up" band with lame musicians. First get your act together. Sound good enough on your own that you don't need to depend on anybody else. Get some gigs. If the client has a budget for a band then call the best musicians in town (the kind of guys that don't have rehearse) This method saves me the headache and drama that the OP is feeling.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#345242 - 06/01/12 11:57 AM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

Times have changed I had a 7 pc band 25 years with two lead vocalists,......been solo 18 yrs now OMB.....back then only competition was other bands if you were an "A" band you had nothing to worry about gigs were plentiful,....today it's DJ's & Bands, Karaoke, and whatever, all wanting the almighty dollar,..........now computers have changed the game, economy life has everyone working like crazy 2 or 3 jobs no time for rehearsals, no time for anything anymore......you wanna play music as a hobby fine, ....to make it as a "good full time" living to support your family you better be fantastic way above the competition at 110% every single performance & then find a niche to fit in-between the mainstream competition or you will sadly fail, ...people are picky today, music is so diversified you really have to suit everyone in a very broad musical spectrum becoming a musical chameleon of sorts doing this with just an arranger keyboard ain't gonna cut in today's world,....I know no one wants to hear all this but the truth is the truth,......have fun...although it can be done, I can attest to that..... but certain criteria MUST be followed and mastered.

Edited by Dnj (06/01/12 12:12 PM)

#345244 - 06/01/12 12:23 PM Re: Start a band [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
doing this with just an arranger keyboard ain't gonna cut in today's world,....

Good points Donny but I'm not sure why you say that an arranger keyboard won't cut it. I know a OMB arranger keyboard guy is exactly the standard at most events that use live music but I don't see why a good looking guy or girl with killer keyboard chops, an exceptional singing voice, and a great stage presence couldn't do well. If you are great at what you do, I don't think it matters if you got a full band, sing to backing tracks or whatever. Use the method that works best for you smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#345246 - 06/01/12 01:29 PM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, Paul. With the possible exception of superior backing, it's no different than Liberace, Billy Joel, Elton John and a host of other top entertainers on stage with just a piano and singing. Add an attractive, female vocalist and there are lots of duo acts out there that make a good living without the aid of a PC and other gadgetry. I, personally, have made hundreds of dollars as an OMB entertainer. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345247 - 06/01/12 01:53 PM Re: Start a band [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
doing this with just an arranger keyboard ain't gonna cut in today's world,....

Good points Donny but I'm not sure why you say that an arranger keyboard won't cut it. I know a OMB arranger keyboard guy is exactly the standard at most events that use live music but I don't see why a good looking guy or girl with killer keyboard chops, an exceptional singing voice, and a great stage presence couldn't do well. If you are great at what you do, I don't think it matters if you got a full band, sing to backing tracks or whatever. Use the method that works best for you smile

Paul I don't know how it is where your from but around here in the NY/NJ area you are not JUST gonna play an arranger KB anymore at Big Weddings, Dances, Venues with 200-500pp without mixing it up with some DJ'ing period..I am talking on a nightly full-time basis,....not some NH gig environment, or restaurant background music small gigs etc, ...I'm talking being a Power Single act...full bore singing, playing, tracks, styles, MP3's etc,...etc,...no arranger player is gonna contend with the stuff people hear on the radio no way, no how, for big power dance gigs....Arrangers KB's have their place but not in today's dance music.......but night after night at big gigs you have no chance alone against the competition of a pro Dj in clubs styles get very boring and repetitious...and such....if there is anyone as you mentioned please send me a link to a video of them I for one would love to experience the wizardry....Thanx

#345249 - 06/01/12 02:04 PM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
124 Offline

Can't disagree with anything you say there, Donny. The odd thing is, "styles" on club DJ gigs seem to consist of very little but a thumping, thundering four to the bar all night long. Yet here we sit with bazillions of styles, tempos, etc. at our fingertips and we wouldn't get a look-in on club DJ-type gigs. Go figure, eh? :-)

#345255 - 06/01/12 02:36 PM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess things are different up there in the Big Apple and NJ, where all those big buck jobs are available. Of course, I really can't find a good reason to book a DJ club job--too many adolescent drunks to deal with.

Whatever floats your boat,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345259 - 06/01/12 02:45 PM Re: Start a band [Re: 124]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Paul, I do just what you're suggesting (you probably do, too).

I only use arrangers on about 10% of my jobs. When i do, I try to get the "host" to spring for at least one additional player. I am lucky to have 10 or so associates who can walk in without rehearsal and handle a gig. The format is, Verse-bridge (me); solo on verse (guest musician, if he/she is comfortable); me back on the bridge and out.

Of course, Donny is right; my jobs are all straight jazz or dinner jobs...big wedding receptions and the like are the ones dominated by DJ's or big, expensive show bands.

I generally get called to play for rehearsal dinners or
"quieter" events...lot's of Philharmonic guest spots, Government jobs, jobs affiliated with the University; city sponsored events...lots of horse farm and horse sales events (read that BIG MONEY), etc.

Man, it sure is fun to play with other players. My biggest enjoyment is backing great players/soloists. I'll even take a small cut out of my leaders share to add a superior player.

Of course, as I said before, I am NOT an entertainer. I have a niche here and I'm always grateful to be asked (and paid) to play for people.

I'll be 68 in the fall and have been playing at least 4 gigs a week for 57 years...in excess of 16,000 gigs (nine total weeks off), with no plans to slow down or stop for the near future. Of course, I've played a wide variety of venues and types of music, but that's a story for a different time.

Music is GREAT!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (06/01/12 02:51 PM)

#345260 - 06/01/12 02:50 PM Re: Start a band [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I guess things are different up there in the Big Apple and NJ, where all those big buck jobs are available. Of course, I really can't find a good reason to book a DJ club job--too many adolescent drunks to deal with.

Whatever floats your boat,

Gary cool

I never considered big weddings & such with mostly adults and mixed ages adolescent drunks to deal with...big buck jobs are everywhere if you go about finding them and have the tools to accommodate them...... eg:...Last Monday I got requests for the "Burger Song"....now try that on a Arranger KB lol.....punched that baby into my laptop and had 300 pp dancing and screaming their heads off to the music..,carry on.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online