SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#356357 - 12/11/12 12:25 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
After much thought, I have decided to make monetary provisions in my will for the following:
10. and finally, in my memory, a 'MOST LOVED SYNTHZONE MEMBER' plaque inscribed with my name, to be mounted in Nigel's living room.
chas

You got it chas. I have a spot already for it. And you don't have to be dead. I would be happy to put it up and photograph it for you while you could still get a laugh from it.
bounce

#356374 - 12/11/12 05:35 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I have a spot already for it.

Why do I get the feeling it's going to be the loo instead of the living room smile smile .

chas

#356414 - 12/11/12 11:05 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The loo, Chas? That's easy! "If you don't like it....P*** on it!"(LOL)!

Seriously, your handling of the issue of member contributions, both on arranger and vocally, was done with humor, while still making a valid point.

I wrestle with being honest and really hurting feelings and causing resentment or just keeping quiet.

I appreciate every post, but have a hard time with the really bad ones represented as professional efforts.

R.

#356462 - 12/12/12 12:02 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I have a spot already for it.

Why do I get the feeling it's going to be the loo instead of the living room smile smile .

chas

Well I hadn't actually thought of that .... but that is pretty damned funny lol rotfl

#356463 - 12/12/12 12:08 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I appreciate every post, but have a hard time with the really bad ones represented as professional efforts.

R.

Don't Russ ... Just pass on by the posts that you can't agree with. It really doesn't matter at all. Nothing to get uptight about. It really means nothing in the overall picture. I couldn't continue to maintain this website if I got emotionally involved with all the forum posts. So I don't.

#356872 - 12/18/12 12:57 PM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: captain Russ]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I don't know how you do it Nigel - and I must take my Hat Off to you. When I started the hammondzone yahoo group years ago, it became a monster in my head. I remember one time (it was unmoderated for the first few years) Someone decided to 'come out'. The guy took some terrible abuse and I was forced to switch the group to moderated. He emailed me afterward, not to thank me but to complain. He said he cannot tolerate censorship and was leaving the group!

I was so relieved and thankful for the excellent moderators that look after things now...it has over 4700 members.

#356882 - 12/18/12 04:38 PM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nigel, I understand your attitude, but I have a hard time posting my work, when it doesn't seem to matter, quality-wise, what is posted, sometimes.

I have posted music only twice in over 10 years (my actual sign-up date was three-4 years before the one that now shows, due to a crash years ago).

To me, posting anything that wasn't at least correct-structure-wise-would be an insult to members. I'd be embarrassed.

Yet, we get some real clinkers here, and, if they're from established members, we all just rave about them.

That's not doing the poster any good. That makes me question the whole process of sharing music here.

When I posted last, I was looking for honest comments from people I respected about the level of my ability after an injury. All comments were kind. Maybe they weren't all completely honest. Honesty is what I needed.

No big thing, but I sometimes struggle with it. Perhaps I shouldn't believe ANY comments about my posts or those put up by anyone else.

And, because of the tendency to be "nice", rather than "honest", posting music doesn't seem to be worth the effort, sometimes.

Russ (tone deaf) Lay

#356892 - 12/18/12 11:40 PM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
When I posted last, I was looking for honest comments from people I respected about the level of my ability after an injury. All comments were kind. Maybe they weren't all completely honest. Honesty is what I needed.
Russ (tone deaf) Lay

I remember that post Russ and I really enjoyed your performance. It was the musicality I enjoyed despite your physical difficulties. And I know you have a good ear and sense of musical judgement so despite it being your own performance you still could appreciate the musical content or you wouldn't have bothered posting it and asking for our opinions.

If I remember correctly on that post of yours I talked about Django overcoming an even more dramatic physical problem and still being able to present some of the most wonderful gypsy jazz the world has ever heard. It is the musical content that matters not how the music may have sounded if the physical problem had never happened. In fact working around the physical problems may even draw out a new aspect of the musicality. I certainly think that was the case with Django and you must draw on that when dealing with your own difficulties. While your hands are certainly a big part of performance the music itself doesn't start there, it comes from your mind and that hasn't changed at all.

#356901 - 12/19/12 01:08 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: captain Russ]
Tonewheeldude Offline

sorry - i misunderstood your post Russ and so my reply makes no sense smirk

#356905 - 12/19/12 02:16 AM Re: What am I doing the rest of my life...? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
sorry - i misunderstood your post Russ and so my reply makes no sense smirk

Darren, still I understand that aspect of forum posts that you mention as well as what Russ is talking about. I have had my share of that here at Synth Zone over the years. I ended up having to be heavy handed to bring things into line. That is something I don't like having to do but it became necessary to avoid the forums getting totally out of control which was diminishing the value of the forums. Most issues were resolved over time and in the end only one or two members ended up being prevented from returning permanently. I can totally understand people having personal conflicts and while I will still not tolerate that it is not deserving of a permanent ban. That is simply human nature and we can all be guilty of that from time to time. It is only when members attempt to deceive me or blatantly abuse my allowing them back on I will ban them permanently ... and it is very rare that that occurs.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online