SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#359638 - 01/27/13 07:22 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... Spalding, you are discounting all the GOOD BK demos out there, and suggesting that a demo that demonstrates what you can do with the iPad app should be the full deal. Maybe you have a problem extrapolating what can be done other than what you hear, but I can assure you, few people (other than perhaps the elderly, less technically orientated players) are incapable of figuring this demo out for what it is.

#359641 - 01/27/13 07:33 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Diki,.. the elderly?......how old are you?...confused1

#359645 - 01/27/13 07:41 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Not old enough that I can't figure this out!

#359647 - 01/27/13 07:52 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Not old enough that I can't figure this out!

But, I would assume old enough to be considered "elderly" ? wink

Just sayin.... cool2 but its just a number correct? juggle

#359657 - 01/27/13 09:14 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Is this not an entry level keyboard?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#359668 - 01/27/13 11:07 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The whole point of a demo is to promote a product in its best light. Companies that leave their customers to figure stuff out tend to lose customers. But I guess roland have already 'figured that out'. Are not the elderly and less technically able precisely the market arrangers are aimed at ? And if the demo was for the younger market did you think the styles chosen by this demonstrator would hit the mark? Please ! Roland dont know All the customers are. No wonder their Arranger sales have suffered so terribly when Yamaha sales And korg sales continue to increase .People generate sales, technology Can enhance sales it can't make the sale .

Edited by spalding1968 (01/27/13 11:40 AM)

#359694 - 01/27/13 07:17 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Haven't heard 'elderly' yet. 'Mature', sure! 'Elderly' is a state of mind and body, not an age.

For instance, I haven't the slightest interest in doing NH gigs. I don't feel I have ANYTHING in common with the inmates..! But I find myself playing to 20-30-somethings all the time, without any real generation gap feeling. From the neck up, at least, I'm still a kid!

And Spalding... you can quite easily tell what priority Roland put on arranger promotion and sales, especially over here in the USA. They have no TOTL arranger at all, in fact, no MOTL arranger any more. $1000 is the TOP of the line! Expecting a high quality arranger demo at NAMM from Roland is a long shot at best. Doesn't stop them sounding pretty good once in the hands of a proper arranger player. But those are few and far between over here!

#359702 - 01/27/13 08:31 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I haven't the slightest interest in doing NH gigs. I don't feel I have ANYTHING in common with the inmates..!

I think you're referring to "residents", maybe? This is someone's home, where we're asked to come to and share some joy. There is great respect and honor in playing for the elderly. I hope someone comes to serenade me in 30 or 40 years, when I get old!

#359720 - 01/28/13 03:36 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Explanation point to indicate the joke... (missed it?)

I don't disrespect anyone doing the gigs, and have no problem with the people in there. In fact, most Christmases, I strap on my accordion, and go round local NH's with a guitarist or two, a bunch of kids, and play carols to the residents.

But I also feel that the residents deserve honesty from their performers. Were I doing it simply for the money, and playing music that I didn't really want to, I feel I would be shortchanging them. I'm a child of the 50's, and grew up with music of the sixties, but mostly the seventies. Sure, I've played in bigbands, and listened to many of the standards' greats, but it isn't the music of MY generation. When 70's and 80's music becomes the main thing for NH residents, perhaps I'm onboard, but most of my career has been playing music from an even younger generation.

So, I simply feel that, unless my heart is in it, they deserve better...

#359723 - 01/28/13 03:58 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Explanation point to indicate the joke... (missed it?)
I simply feel that, unless my heart is in it, they deserve better...

Sorry if I missed the joke angle - and I agree that if you're not in it to please, you're cheating the residents. Too many performers think they need to go in a just do songs from 75 years ago ... NOT SO! I use R&R, Broadway, Current Pop offerings ... I don't do as many as before I started teaching, but I do pop in now and then. The nursing homes can be a very satisfying show for the performer, and dollars vs hours - they can't be beat!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online