SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#359815 - 01/29/13 01:40 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I actually already have a BK-7m... so what this can do is quite relevant to me. Ha! Open mouth, insert foot...

Mind you, I haven't got an iPad yet, but it is tempting. I might pick up an older used one, just for what these programs can do. Admittedly, it doesn't do everything I want YET...

But who knows? That's the beauty of software.

#359821 - 01/29/13 02:27 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Then You are not playing fair Diki. It's clear that you actually owned tje module versionthis keyboard or a version before you saw this demo. Therefore Any comment that you might make about how good the demo itself was In terms of what you got from it is kind of moot . the demo in fact was of no benefit in helping you make your purchasing decision clearly. In fact you bought the module version for actually very different reasons than most people would buy the keyboard version and you did so regardless as to its iPad functionality it would appear. I can see how the module might appeal to you and a limited segments of the market But surely you would understand the difference between the needs of the person who buys a module compared to the needs of the person who buys the keyboard . its not the same product .Still it's good to know roland made a sale inspite of this awful demo. Perhaps you genuinely are Rolands target market. How many of you are there?

Edited by spalding1968 (01/29/13 03:01 PM)

#359838 - 01/29/13 07:17 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Thing is, as I already pointed out, this was the iPad demo, not a straightahead BK-5 demo. I had no trouble understanding what the iPad was doing, and I don't have one, so it can't have been THAT arcane!

You sure you guys are even trying? LOL

#359851 - 01/29/13 10:46 PM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
So ironically Diki. That demo might have actually sold you an iPad ha ha ! Way to go roland ! That will help their bottom line substantially..........hmmmm

Edited by spalding1968 (01/29/13 10:53 PM)

#359870 - 01/30/13 06:01 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding

You’re a little out of touch with the real world here.

Since Apple launched the iPhone/Pad (And everybody else has followed suit) it’s the Apps that sell the hardware, (Unlike the traditional way of a computer enhancing the hardware) so it’s logical that Roland and other manufactures concentrate on the Apps so as to push the hardware sales.

Look around over the last few years and you will find few apps have been designed in tandem with hardware, but the amount of hardware available to enhance the Apps has exploded. (Just pop down to your local newsagent (Or online) and pick up some Smart Phone/Tablet magazines to see what I mean)

It’s just the way the Smart Phone/Tablet market works.

Bill

#359883 - 01/30/13 08:10 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Diki]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
Diki:

Off Topic:

I got a used iPad specifically for use with an app called iGIGBook. I don't know if you use sheet music for your performances, but if you do, I have found iGigBook, paired with a 1st generation iPad, very useful. Check it out if you are interested.

#359885 - 01/30/13 09:16 AM Re: Roland BK-3 Backing Keyboard Demo at NAMM 2013 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

I'm not a sheet reader on the gig, and what lyrics assistance I need I can use a text file on my G70's display, so I haven't felt the burning need to use an iPad yet.

In many ways, I'm really holding out for another generation of these things. Their inability to do more than one thing at a time is a bit disappointing given how much they can do.

As I've alluded to in other posts, for what an iPad app could do that I could REALLY use, these apps don't cover it. About the only thing these do that seriously tempts me is the much easier Performance list editing and creation, and the keyboard letter input, to speed up naming and renaming. But, in fairness, there isn't anything that these do that you can't do any other way (other than the 'Favorite Tones' feature for the BK7m), so banging down $700 or so (not much point in one of these without the cellular option) just for that, or a more convenient .pdf reader seems a bit steep.

We are already seeing dual form tablets and laptops on the PC side. These seem to be a far more practical option, and I doubt Apple will resist them too long. I can wait...

If Roland offered a full featured editor for the BK's, then yes, it might be a more instant buy. But as you all know, given that I am still happily making music on my paleolithic G70, I am not exactly an impulse buyer, and like to extract the maximum value and familiarity with my gear. When they make something I HAVE to have, I'll get it. In the meantime, I can wait!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online