SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#366267 - 05/13/13 05:36 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Deane, I look at corporations such as the ones you describe as the PC crazies, run by a bunch of legal-beagles, and mostly young PC staffers that are climbing the corporate ladder. A good friend of mine who sailed his 32-foot boat from the UK to the Chesapeake's upper reaches put it best when describing PC:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366274 - 05/13/13 08:05 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I’m eagerly studying your pearls about playing NH gigs. For a couple years, 2 agencies asked me to play senior programs and I refused. About a year ago, my regular festival and restaurant business started to decline and I decided do a couple of NH gigs. I guess I did well and have been doing a couple a month. However, the pay is disappointing because of the agency fees. So, I think I’m going to try to book some NH gigs on my own and this kind of discussion is very helpful. Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

#366281 - 05/14/13 02:07 AM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I don't know what happened with Mark, but I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a new, young AD.

I arrived as usual and met the young lady who commenced to tell me how it was going to be and what kind of music to play. Now, I had been playing since she was in diapers, but I kept my cool and feigned respect for her position.

I started out with a few songs I thought she would like, and she did, but the audience started asking me for their old favorites. To make a long story short, she finally realized that her perception of what should be played didn't jibe with the others.

If I had followed my first instincts to tell the little snot nosed kid she was wrong, I would have threatened her new found authority, and that would have been the end. As it turned out, she was dismissed a couple of months after, anyway.

#366289 - 05/14/13 08:24 AM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Great way to handle it, Bernie. Kudos to ya!

#366303 - 05/14/13 01:39 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: 124]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You folks have given me a lot of grief for not playing nursing homes over the years. Here's how I'm handling that:

On every other Wednesday from 3:30-5:00 PM at one of the restaurants I work, with the help of ownership,
I'm sponsoring a little party for residents of the VA's in the area.

We'll have a set-up, with snacks, for 25 guests. They'll be ones firm enough for a "field trip". They'll come over on a VA bus.

I'm trading some of the free food I get as part of my deal for the treats set out by the place. The owner is a vet and enthusiastic about the project.

This way, we're supporting:

* Veterans
* The elderly

while not having to deal with the horrible people who manage "for profit" institutions.

I also play one job a week, with the proceeds going to the Nursing home Reform group I serve as a director. That puts over $10,000.00 much needed funds in the til annually and gives local companies a tax deduction.

Works for me!

Russ

#366304 - 05/14/13 03:13 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm proud to call you my friend, Russ. The vets will love it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366320 - 05/15/13 09:21 AM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I’d like to go this issue of not interacting with the residents. The places I have played at are hardly “high end” but I realize that it is a sad reality that there people that are looking to take advantage of elderly people. Hammer and Tony, did they at least give you a heads up not to talk with the residents? You would think a background check could put any paranoid suspensions to rest. What a sad world we live in.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#366322 - 05/15/13 09:37 AM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Paul ... I haven't had a problem because I spoke to the AD about it first, and it was OK ...

#366329 - 05/15/13 01:09 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Because of Hippa, I couldn't even take a photo of my father-in-law if there were ANY other residents in site.

I was bringing a daily snack (approved by the dietician0, but was told that I was violating privacy standards by going into individual rooms.

It's the same in the classroom....different reason. I used to get lots of hugs from students. Now, you have to watch out that you're not alone in a room with a student. It' a different, darker and sadder day.

Russ

#366335 - 05/15/13 04:46 PM Re: Have I finally figured out...Activities Directors? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

A sadder day indeed, Russ. Is this just a U.S. thing, then? I've never come across any such problems, not being allowed to come into contact with or talk to the residents, in the several years of working seniors' homes. I'd be deeply troubled by that if it ever came to be the case up here.

I can see that it would be an easy target for any slimeball with those kind of intentions, but it's hard for me to believe that retirement homes are staffed by such pernicious people. Every single one I've played at I've found the staff to be really caring about their residents, and the residents are quick to tell me that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online