SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367225 - 06/06/13 03:42 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I argued that a sustained pedal was not necessary when playing piano on a keyboard. I was so wrong – I am now trying to get use to add sustain where needed.

You can’t sound like a piano player without using a pedal; it makes the sound go up about 10 notches.

John C.

#367247 - 06/07/13 08:05 AM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I dont use any pedals anymore....who wants to setup all that stuff.

Anyone that wants to sound like a pianist. Anyone that wants something to sustain in the LH while they use the bender. Anyone that needs to make a Variation change during a busy passage. Anyone that cares more about music than the 20 seconds setup time putting a pedal down would take.

#367252 - 06/07/13 09:05 AM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Diki]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I just picked up a psr950 and use a volume and sustain pedal as always. I wish there were more than 2 pedal outs on it; with the addition of the harmonizer in this model, I anticipated using a momentary switched pedal to turn it on and off. May need to go with midi pedal controller, or midi expression pedal in stead of fc7. Always like quiklok Z stands- plenty of room under them

#367256 - 06/07/13 09:52 AM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Lots of luck finding a midi controller other than Yamaha MFC10.
I couldn't find one that worked.
I hope you do!
DonM

#367262 - 06/07/13 11:06 AM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Since we are on pedals, I find it annoying, when assigning switch to fill, that it keeps on playing until I stomp on it again(S910).
I am using the self fill. The only other one I saw was fill up.
Bernie

#367265 - 06/07/13 12:23 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie, I suspect it's the pedal itself that causes that. The pedal must be a momentary pedal, one that is only on while being held down and off as soon as it is released. There is another type of pedal that has a latching switch - it's on when pressed down and released, and does not turn off until it's pressed down and released again.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367266 - 06/07/13 12:32 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

On a related note, I also have a problem with Roland's on a similar issue. Although the D-Beam offers Fill-UP or Fill-DOWN as options, it can only do ONE of those.

But the FC-7, while you can select each Variation individually (with Auto Fill ON), Fill-UP and Fill-Down are not offered. Which seems a FAR better place for that pair of commands!

If you need more commands on the FC-7 than the three that are left over once you have set up Var 1-4, a simple pair of Fill-UP and Fill-DOWN allows you to get through ALL the variations easily, and frees up two more slots. All you need to do more than one move is a double tap to go down two Var, or a triple for three.

#367269 - 06/07/13 01:00 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Diki]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Diki, I think you mean MFC10 rather than FC7, no?

Midi solutions makes pedal controller which can be assigned to do a multitude of things, and comes set as a volume pedal on ch 7 as the default. Should have kept the one I had...but I really am trying to eliminate peripheral equipment.

Roland, Ketron make a 5 pedal f/s, why not the rest? Don'
t always need 10-13 etc.

#367270 - 06/07/13 01:30 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

No... I mean the Roland FC-7 seven switch pedal.

The problem with MIDI pedals is, so little of the arranger's OS is selectable via MIDI. At least with Roland's. For instance, the BK-9 can select over thirty different functions with the simple switches, but MIDI can address a mere ten or so of them. And most of them pertain to the simple selection of style divisions. More complex functions like ABASS/Man. Bass and stuff like that doesn't have any MIDI hooks into it.

This is also why the iPad apps can do little more than duplicate front panel commands... most of the good stuff you want to get at has no MIDI address, but simply resides as OS commands deep down in the menu structure.

Possibly Yamaha's have a far greater list of things you can get at, but it also means jacking around with sys-ex, as I understand that that is used for most things via MIDI. This is all well and good until you need to deal with a variable (say for instance Reverb Hall Size), rather than a switch function, as checksums need calculating, etc..

#367271 - 06/07/13 01:34 PM Re: using pedals with keyboard stands [Re: Diki]
rudolf82 Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Diki
I cannot play in arranger mode without my FC-7. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take their hands off what they are playing, simply to trigger a fill or variation change!

Hello everyone, I am new here.

I have a configurable USB breath controller that plugs directly into my Kronos. The great thing about it is that it can be configured to send any MIDI CC on any channel, so I can assign it to trigger or control whatever I want.

Just blow into it, no need to take my hands off the keyboard.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online