SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#367352 - 06/09/13 06:30 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Diki]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
To the OP... I think you are expecting too much for someone that fits your criteria, creative, expressive, original, playing from the heart, and then expect them to play an arranger! The exact OPPOSITE of all of that...

Players that fit your criteria play with REAL musicians. Not machines.

Diki.....most times I admire you for your musical knowledge. Other times I get amused with your obvious obsession and dedication to being "difficult."

This is one of those "other times!"

#367353 - 06/09/13 07:14 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
fwiw I agree 100% with Diki

#367354 - 06/09/13 07:15 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Diki]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
To the OP... I think you are expecting too much for someone that fits your criteria, creative, expressive, original, playing from the heart, and then expect them to play an arranger! The exact OPPOSITE of all of that...

Players that fit your criteria play with REAL musicians. Not machines.

And I feel sorry for those who have to "play with real musicians!"

Some of the remarks in this WHOLE thread brought back to my mind WHY I became a OMB in my early 20s. I was playing in a wedding band. I was ambitious, dedicated, anxious to make beautiful music. I liked the guys in the band but, unfortunately, all they wanted to do was take cigarette breaks, drink on the job, talk to women, play their songs in a most predictable way, not practice during the week, and, on top of all that, bicker and throw darts at each other (just like is done here sometimes!).

Well, one day I was walking past my local music store and saw my first "drum machine" (a Maestro as I recall). I instantly realized THAT was my calling. I bought it and converted to OMB-ism. From then on I got to work with my creative self as compared to having to align myself to what others are doing.

It was the best decision I ever made. I got to express all of the above (creative, expressive, original, playing from the heart,) because I chose to go it alone. I got to play all over Western Europe for years as a first-class accordionist and OMB. I got to play French musette accordion in Paris, Bierkellars in Germany, Italian love songs in Italy, paso dobles and tangos in Spain, etc. Something I could never have done if I subscribed to the "Players that fit your criteria play with REAL musicians...not machines" school of thought!

I DO miss the "ideas" one gets from playing with others...I think I could have been so much better had I done that. But, making the decision to be a OMB means total "freedom." You report to no one but yourself, you account to no one, you play what you want, and you play it with whatever feeling you can muster up!

Playing as a OMB is neither a demotion or a promotion. It is simply a "decision" as to where you want to direct your music ability.

And, one more thing. Diki, it doesn't take a lot of talent to do your part in a band. But, it DOES take a lot of talent to BE the band yourself, doing everything....yourself!

#367357 - 06/09/13 07:31 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

The plug needs to be pulled on this thread. Too much negativity and taking "sides!" I knew the topic might turn into a "slugfest," but nothing like this. I honestly regret now asking a simple question like who do YOU think makes great music as a OMB?

Whatever happened to musicians working with each other, sharing ideas, supporting each other, working altruistically with their music in trying to make the world a better place? Or does that happen only in the Twilight Zone?

If you want to continue this thread, I'd now like to hear why some of you feel it NECESSARY to throw jabs at each other...and....instigate...and.....challenge...instead of making constructive and positive conversation? I hate to think this is a microcosm of the real world!

#367358 - 06/09/13 07:38 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And I feel sorry for anyone that never got to play with musicians talented enough to make them realize what an obvious compromise it is to use a machine...

Playing with an arranger isn't 'doing everything yourself'. It is about as far as is humanly possible to get from that! It is letting a MACHINE do most of it, and all you do is tell it what chords to play, and play a bit on the top of that.

I'm sorry, but 'Freedom's just another word for... nothing left to lose'!

#367359 - 06/09/13 07:41 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

Mark, you yourself brought up the criteria for what YOU consider great music.

Please, inform me how much of it has made it to the charts played entirely on an arranger..?

An arranger is a TOOL, for copying what other people have already created, and performing it with the fewest musicians possible.

#367361 - 06/09/13 07:54 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

And sorry, but if you think this guy (the only name you mentioned in your post as being 'worthy' of your praise) is any different to all the other arranger demonstrators, I am sorry, but we have left the realms of credibility..!

I can't for the life of me hear any of this supposed 'creativity, sensitivity and originality' here. No more than any other arranger demo-er, anyway. Sorry, I guess I didn't read your original post carefully enough. This and a POLKA band is where you set the bar? rotf2

I thought for a while you were serious!

#367363 - 06/09/13 08:22 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Diki]
Mark79100 Offline

Diki.......I'm wondering how you do it? You spend more time being "argumentative" and "being right" and "getting the last word in" .........and you spend time working with REAL musicians........and time reading and learning about every musical instrument or playing situation on the planet......and yet you find time to eat, sleep, and, I assume, brush your teeth every night.

Could you please share with us how you economize your time?

Have you ever considered spending the time you did posting in this thread alone being..."difficult"...taking that time to practice music instead? Perhaps then you could join the ranks of the rest of us OMB's and work a machine like the rest of us and not have to play with REAL musicians anymore?

Also I'm wondering if that is really you that types so well or do you have a ghost-writer?

#367364 - 06/09/13 08:47 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

..........And I feel sorry for those who have to "play with real musicians!"

That is about one of the saddest things I have ever heard or read from a muso. Wow!

#367366 - 06/09/13 09:17 PM Re: who gets your vote for OMB performance? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Last time I looked, this was an ARRANGER forum. I do like playing with "real" musicians. I even sometimes let them sit in with me, rather than sit in the audience and tell each other how good they are. smile
Seriously, I like the freedom that being a OMB allows. It has kept me from having to get a real job for 40 years!
Both "sides" have made some good points and have some valid arguments. There is an art to making your point without insulting or hurting feelings though.
That's one of the few good things about getting old. You don't really have to care so much about what other people think. And I'm always right, so there. smile
By the way, thanks for the nice things said about me. Makes me feel almost adequate!
DonM

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online