SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#369513 - 07/24/13 01:44 PM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Originally Posted By: Diki
If you wait by the river long enough, the body of your enemy will float by...

Diki.......I disagree with this statement.

But everything is cyclical. Sooner or later, there will be a shift. And the things you worry about now will be a distant memory.And you will still be playing.

I don't by that theory......your life isn't cyclicle...you'll probably be dead by the time you have to wait if at all....
I'd say worry about NOW & make your own destiny as most of the time all these so called depressive problems are caused by your own "Human Error" in some way or form,....only you can change the course and make it work for you, being lackadaisical will surly lead to failure, worry about what YOU DO,... NOT, what they do,...Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about,& When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place!!.... ;-)

Edited by Dnj (07/24/13 01:45 PM)

#369514 - 07/24/13 01:50 PM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Quite right, Diki. To paraphrase another notable which sometimes applies in this game: The longevity in this business is often equal to the depth of the dermis developed. Or, 'nil carborundum' - don't let the bastards grind you down.

#369515 - 07/24/13 01:51 PM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sure glad I drink! wink

Don't worry about it - just mix up a big, Green Coconut Margaretta and forgetaboutit!

Bottom's up,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#369516 - 07/24/13 01:52 PM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Ah! Donny's on the right track, too.

(Edited to add) And Gary, as well.

Edited by 124 (07/24/13 01:54 PM)

#369528 - 07/25/13 12:13 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
A simple answer to the original poster. You are way way over reacting. Just do your music and enjoy it. All you need to do is find enough people that are willing to pay for and listen to your music. Trust me there are lots of them out there. Stop looking at others and focus on yourself. Music is its own reward after all.....

#369529 - 07/25/13 12:20 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: wrinkles303]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wrinkles303
my relationship with music (50 years) was like a marriage gone bad. at the end of my professional career i was losing my "passion" of music. i was no longer thrilled by a new music,new places to play, even a new keyboard(and i had them all). my health has forced me to quit playing 7 years ago. i wasn't happy, i wanted to make just a little bit more money before i packed it in....etc

Hi Wrinkles.......thanks for posting this. That's exactly what I'm going through. You couldn't have written it any better than you did!

Mark

#369530 - 07/25/13 12:43 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: spalding1968]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
A simple answer to the original poster. You are way way over reacting. Just do your music and enjoy it.

Hi Spalding....I'm the OP. I guess I forgot to say....I have no choice but to quit playing now because.........I BURNED OUT!!!. computer

I haven't been able to play the piano for weeks now. When I sit down I don't even remember HOW to play, much less what to play! Pretty soon I won't even remember where the piano is! It's not a nervous breakdown, it's a "musical breakdown!"

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
All you need to do is find enough people that are willing to pay for and listen to your music. Trust me there are lots of them out there.

That's a lot of what "burned me out"......having to deal with PEOPLE in these very trying times.....obnoxious, abrasive, disrespectful, unappreciative (where I live anyway). I've had a career of dealing with happy, civil people as an audience......suddenly it's changed overnight. I'm not sure how one can be a very sensitive musician playing meaningful, beautiful music while coping with the aforementioned.

I never dreamed in a million years this is the direction music would take. I've adapted to just about everything I had to over the years, but I don't have the energy or the desire anymore to deal with this kind of thing. More power to you guys if you CAN!!!

But...after I take some good rest away from music completely, I have the feeling somewhere down the line when it's time to pay the monthly bills and I have to be reminded of my shrinking bank account, I'll wish I was back playing again!

Mark

#369536 - 07/25/13 06:03 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
billyhank Offline

I have always had an audience of 1 - me! I'm still enjoying my music. :-)

Bill G

#369540 - 07/25/13 07:18 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Mark79100]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, let's see... I remember the doom and gloom merchants predicting the death of music with the disco years and the rise of the disco DJ in the 70's...

I'm still here playing 6 days a week, they are gone (they aren't working 6 days a week, that's for sure!). Donny, it seems I didn't have to wait that long..!

I find it hard that anyone that has been playing professionally since the 60's cannot recognize how cyclical our industry is. Trends come and go, then come and go again. You get disco, then punk, then house, then grunge, rinse and repeat ad nauseam. And the whole purpose of it all is so YOUR generation (if you are a kid) can separate itself from the one before. God forbid you all drink the same Kool-Aid!

And to Mark, the OP... well, it's your choice. Quit music, don't quit music, who cares? Your enthusiasm or lack of it for music is YOUR decision, but to be frank, it sounds like you are looking for an excuse to do what you actually WANT to do. And I don't blame you... TBH, if you aren't getting much enjoyment from playing, it's an awful job! But blaming external sources for your malaise or ennui isn't really addressing the issue. There's PLENTY of good reasons to stay playing music, not the least of which should be, you LOVE music. Or you should. If you don't, you aren't trying.

There's PLENTY of modern music worth playing that is popular. There are five decades of popular music that people of all ages seem to enjoy, from the Beatles and the Stones, from Cream and Zeppelin, to John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Esperanza Spalding and the whole pantheon of young talented musicians (yes, just open your eyes, they are out there!).

But if you want to quit, go ahead. There will be dozen players with tougher skins and tougher mentalities, who apparently still love playing music lining up for what few gigs you do. Make their day!

Me, they can have my keyboards when they pry them from my cold dead hands!

#369545 - 07/25/13 07:56 AM Re: This is discouraging! How do YOU cope with it? [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In the 50 plus years I have worked as a performer/musician, there have been several times when I was leaning towards quitting or just taking an extended break.

One time in particular, I was teaching part-time, working full-time as a communications director and playing 1:00 AM to 4:AM after hours Monday-Thursdays; then 5:00 Pm-4:00 AM Friday and Saturday in the same club/restaurant. I got off at 4:15 PM from my day gig and then worked 11 hours straight on week-ends in three different sessions/locations.

On Saturday morning, I was so tired and disgusted, I went to sleep at 4:30 AM and woke up at 4:00 PM. I was ready to hand in my notice that night.

Driving to work, I turned on the radio (in my 68 Mercury Capri)and stopped in wonder, when I heard what came out of the speakers. It was a beautiful male voice, doing a combination of solo guitar and vocal scatting.

It was BEAUTIFUL! Turned out it was George Benson singing Masquerade, one of my favorite Leon Russell tunes. The story is, he was just warming up, when the producer heard him (he was doing guitar for another singer, and had never released a vocal recording). I hurried to work and played my version of his version of the tune. I finally got what is meant to put your own "mark" on a piece; to make it my own.

The story is, George had lost his Verve contract and was moving to Hawaii to dig foundations. This was one of his last dates. He and I demoed for Guild at the same time.

The album (Breezing) went on to sell 13 million copies. The most he'd sold when doing conventional, straight ahead jazz was 500,000.

He took some flack from the purists, but he knew the integrity was still there, and inspired many players (like me) to rethink our whole approach to tune interpretation and performance. Plus, he was banking lots of bread.

The point is, as Diki says, you adapt and you go on. I would never even thought that an instrument like and arranger would exist. Some of the equipment I use for recording is so cool I just walk around with a silly grin on my face.

Ms. Spalding was recognized by Diki as an innovator, along with Bruno Marrs and others. He's right (damn, I hate to keep admitting that LOL). And there are others: Leanne La Havas being one of my all-time favorites. At 24 years old, she's as good as anyone I've ever heard, and I have had Ella, Pearlie Maye, Jackie De Shannon and others sing and cook breakfast for me.

At 68 (soon to be 69) I'm nowhere near ready to quit. I'm still learning in spite of what some would consider significant physical obstacles. That just makes me appreciate my past more and want to continue until I can't.

You ALL have my wish for continued enjoyment in the playing of music; however, wherever and whenever you choose to do it.

BUT, PLEASE....DO IT!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/25/13 08:20 AM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online